Cafe Racer Forum banner

Which one to get?

7K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  anup_vince 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I appreciate any advice in advance.

I have my mind set on getting a cb550 / cb360 / cb750 just not sure if I should go with a stockish bike and work from there or just pick up one that already has the work done.
I've always done maintenance on my cars (nothing crazy but i know what a wrench is) I also have friends that know their way around a bike.
These two caught my eye.

1976 CB360

1981 CB750 cafe racer

Thoughts?

Thanks again.

#6 ·
You're right.
I wasnt looking to spend more that 3000
I have about 50-70 miles under my belt.
This would just be a commute bike and something to get around town.

Any ideas what I should look at?

- - - Updated - - -

Hold out for a nice, stock CB550. Put better suspension, sticky tires, braided brake line with good pads and some superbike bars on it. Ride the snot out of it.
cafe (racer) society (archive): Peter Egan on the Honda 550
I like it.
Thank you.

#11 ·
Hello all.

I appreciate any advice in advance.

I have my mind set on getting a cb550 / cb360 / cb750 just not sure if I should go with a stockish bike and work from there or just pick up one that already has the work done.
I've always done maintenance on my cars (nothing crazy but i know what a wrench is) I also have friends that know their way around a bike.
These two caught my eye.

1976 CB360

1981 CB750 cafe racer

Thoughts?
I think you should go stick to cars and forget bikes. You already made up your mind about getting a specific bike (oddly you picked 3 that do completely different jobs) and then went and searched out 3 of possibly the worst examples of those bikes, and no amount of sensible conversation is going to make you make a sensible choice. Therefore you should just forget it all together and go buy a classic car you can drive your wife and kid around in on the weekends.

Where on Long Island are you. Jaguar and I are both from there.

If you are willing to consider something else, something more modern, then let us know and we'll have a more open discussion.

#14 ·
Why does everybody insist on putting both feet flat on the ground while on a motorcycle?
You only need to be able to lean to one side and keep the other foot on a peg. You think anybody can flat foot a BMW 1200GS-A? Not many, I assure you. I actually lifted my bike for more ground clearance, and I'm barely able to tippy-toe both feet at the same time.
If you're doing it right, you hardly ever have to put your feet down anyway. But then again, living in New York might prove to be the opposite where you spend more time stopped than rolling anyway....
But yeah. Sv650 is the perfect bike for you, and everybody else. They're awesome. Get Tannermatic to make you some neat fiberglass bodywork to make it look like a 70's Ducati race bike.

#15 ·
Oh and in relation to the actual post, buy a SV650S, I had one as a first "big bike" (CC not size) only sold it when I moved up to my old blade and bought another as a winter hack that was a bit beaten up and not running right, when my first car decided to set itself on fire. I then sold that for a profit (amazing what a bit of knowledge and loads of carb cleaner can do) but I'd have another to pootle around on if I had the storage space.

#25 ·
The Ninja 250 is (according to what I've read) an excellent starter bike. I know Geeto and several other knowledgeable riders have endorsed them in the past.The bike that works for me, would be serious overkill in a city. It's gotta suit what you do, which is why the "looks " factor should go out the window. I've always thought a Super Moto would make a good city threader with some fun factor built in. Wouldn't know from experience but it seems like it would be a good fit. Cities drive me round the bend so I avoid them like a plague. The wrong bike can make riding SUCK so get all your info together before throwing money at one. Asking here was a good move, listening would be a great one. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on. Good luck

#30 · (Edited)
Sv650 is a fine bike, but ask yourself - why didn't you ride it more the last time? Was it too much to manage? Did you feel intimidated by it? Did you ever get off it with the feeling you would kill yourself on it one day? Or was it boring? Put some thought into it and then let us know in detail.

im a big fan of people riding anything and everything so they get a feel of what they like in motorcycling.

Gold Coast on Jericho tpke is an Enfield dealer if you want to see one up close without committing to anything. Bikes are $5k-$7k new and can be financed. Used is the best way to go because I think a basic bonneville is $8k and much more motorcycle.

You our may or may not know it but port Washington was once the motorcycling nirvana thanks to sonny and sal at Ghost Motorcycles.

#31 ·
Sv650 is a fine bike, but ask yourself - why didn't you ride it more the last time? Was it too much to manage? Did you feel intimidated by it? Did you ever get off it with the feeling you would kill yourself on it one day? Or was it boring? Put some thought into it and then let us know in detail.
At the time I had the SV I was single, lived in queens, and just got my license. All my friends that ride were all they way out in Suffolk. I also had the bike tucked on the back of a parking garage. I had to move a car and push it around a pole to get it out. I wasn't bored just got lazy and got married then kids.
I'm in a house now and have room in my garage.

im a big fan of people riding anything and everything so they get a feel of what they like in motorcycling.

Gold Coast on Jericho tpke is an Enfield dealer if you want to see one up close without committing to anything. Bikes are $5k-$7k new and can be financed. Used is the best way to go because I think a basic bonneville is $8k and much more motorcycle.

You our may or may not know it but port Washington was once the motorcycling nirvana thanks to sonny and sal at Ghost Motorcycles.
Thanks I'll stop by Gold Coast and take a look.
I often see ghost moto selling shirts on main st.
I'll check them out as well.

#39 ·
Ha!! Zing!
Thanks for that one, new guy.:p

That DOuCHeBIKES troll, don't mind him.
We've seemed to be visited by the likes of his(hers, it's?? #PC) type all to much lately.
Listen to Geeto n Jag n such.

As far as your vertical aptitude, you'll be fine not being able to flat foot both feet.
I'm 5'6" with shoes on and spend most of my time on a stock height Suzuki DR350.
It's tippy toes if I'm trying to touch both feet, but that's not an issue, 'cause I scootch over a bit to hang a cheek. Then it's flat foot as much as I want.
Admittedly, near the end of a long day riding or 'cause it's loaded for camping, I do keep an eye out for a welcoming curb to swing the leg over.
Your moto selection becomes limited when saddle height becomes an issue. Don't make it an issue.
Learning the balance qualities of your bike makes you a better rider.

As far as bike selection, get a DR350 or back to the SV, but with superbike bars and a can.
A DR350 will take you around the world:

And an upright SV will just be funner than shit when you get the hang of it.

NE

#42 ·
I would stay away from the S model. Not because it's bad, it is exactly the same bike with different bars and footpeg location.
The kicker is that because of the S in the model name your insurance will be higher. I know it doesn't make sense, but then
neither do insurance companies.

#46 ·
my insurance didn't care if it was an S or not. Ive had six sv650 S bikes and have loved them all. Still have two and a sv1k.
i say go for it….lots of stuff to mod, lots of online support, and plenty of pep.
great bike.

Reactions: ardew
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.