Good deal on CL ? cb175 $750
Close

This is a discussion on Good deal on CL ? cb175 $750 within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; just picked up this guy,,, $750. '70 with 6900 miles. owner told me, "titles clean. Led tail light, antigravity lithium battery, clip on bars, aftermarket ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Teazer
  • 1 Post By collector000

Thread: Good deal on CL ? cb175 $750

just picked up this guy,,, $750. '70 with 6900 miles.
    owner told me, "titles clean. Led tail light, antigravity lithium battery, clip on bars, aftermarket levers and mirrors and grips, repainted entire bike and frame, cafe seat, shocks, custom rear sets, tires are relatively new, but not brand new. Bike still needs tail light bracket and license plate bracket and carbs tuned before it's ready for tags. It does run and drive currently however"
    has a dead spot about middle rpm's,, needs rejetting. read 102 mains help out with the new open exhaust
    Plan to really keep it as is and ride. Thoughts?

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  123.3 KBName:  back.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  108.2 KB
    flamed for hacking up a cb400t lol

current: '69 yama L5T

Put exhaust on it. Take the pods off. Theyre junk and these motors hate them. Get a front fender. Seat is too short. Shocks will be too stiff.

Looks like somebody was chasing the illusive bobber chopper cafe racer dream and gave up after they stripped off a bunch of parts and threw a pile of money at it. If you got it along with all of the original parts he removed you probably got a good deal.

... if he says he tossed all the original parts then you purchased the bike from an idiot and you should tell him that!
    ... and then you paid too much, I see about 400 US$ worth of stuff there.
    ... that's not a new open exhaust, that's stock original headers attached to no exhaust system at all.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 01-09-2017 at 08:08 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to CR. You could make a good rider out of it and the price seemed reasonable barring any hidden shit. Unless your short, the ride position looks cramped, the exhaust or lack there of looks obnoxiously loud and if it rains where you are fenders would be a pretty good idea actually even if it doesn't. I've never used pod filters cuz well nimbler minds than mine have made it clear it's a bad idea. No telling what shape the pipes are in under all that pipe wrap but in many cases it's there to cover up shit pipes. So pretty much what was already mentioned. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Stephen J; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

That's a good start and won't take too much work to get it just right. A couple of suggestions if I may:

Front Fender. Get a stock one and shorten it and paint to match the tank. Forks are a bit spindly and need all the cross bracing they can get.

Rear fender. Get a stock one and paint the front part flat (low gloss) black to keep crap out of teh carbs. The section behind teh seat can be shortened and painted to match teh front. Then you will have somewhere to mount the rear lamp and license plate too.

Frame. PO did not cut it up by the looks of things. That's great. Use the stock rear mounts to mount the fender.

Rear light. Get a stock OEM from that bike or similar small bike from teh area and mount it close to the seat. It will look cool and period.

Exhausts. The dump tubes make a lot of noise but don't help power. The best idea is to fabricate a 2 into 1 system. An easier solution are a pair of aftermarket mufflers. I like the long so called Dunstall type because they stylistically remind me of Honda works racers of the sixties. Or get a pair of stock mufflers.

Rear sets. They look to me as if they are mounted a few inches too far back for effective control. The simple way to look at peg position is that you should be able to stand on them with the balls of your feet and lower yourself into position. If that puts your weight way too far back, then they need to be moved. Your feet should not be too far back - even though that feels really good in the shop. Look at a hose race jockey for inspiration here. His center of gravity is basically above the pegs, so he can use his legs. A motorcycle rider also uses weight on the pegs to steer the bike in a similar way. It's not a drag race bike with teh rider lying down. It's a street bike where the rider needs to be able to take some of the weight on the pegs for bumps as well as steering.

Carbs and filters. You need something to keep rocks out. I'd prefer to see UNI foam filters over a pair of say CB500 inlet rubbers for great flow and clean air.

Battery. If that's a LiPo battery grab a regulator from Sparckmoto.com Products. Contact Matthew there and he'll tell you what you need and will sell you what you need at a good price and not try to sell you something that won't work on your bike.

Color scheme etc. I prefer a little color but whatever color combo works for you will be fine. It's your bike. Make it safe and reliable and enjoy riding it safely.
    Stephen J likes this.

I like it.

Just correct a couple things and you have a nice cafe cruiser.......looks clean.

I have a bone stock '73 CB175 and I love it. There's lots of talk over on hondatwins about the length of the exhaust and air intake being critical. Stock airbox and exhaust that extends to the rear axle. I don't have personal experience with this as mine was way too nice to modify when I got it.
    TrialsRider likes this.

thanks for all of the comments guys!

im really digging the scrambler 2 > 1 pipe and look.

Any suggestions to replace those pods with besides stock airbox? I read Teazer said some inlet rubbers and foam.

If you want the scrambler 2 into one high pipe you should be looking for a CL model exhaust, that exhaust was the major difference between the CB and CL model honda. It probably won't be cheap, they sold a lot more CB's and nice OEM parts for a CL will be sought after.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    If you want the scrambler 2 into one high pipe you should be looking for a CL model exhaust, that exhaust was the major difference between the CB and CL model honda. It probably won't be cheap, they sold a lot more CB's and nice OEM parts for a CL will be sought after.
    True I mean I understand the main differences between the two are the tank and exhaust iirc but what about just that style, or is there aftermarket available ? I have access to a tube bender and have my welding certs as well as a tig... no opposed to getting some small mufflers and building it myself either

Sponsored Links