Iso a good jacket
Close

Iso a good jacket

This is a discussion on Iso a good jacket within the Gear forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; As the title says and I've never even tried one on, I've always been the dumbfuck riding in shorts workboots and a hoodie.. I wanna ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Diamondj
  • 1 Post By Stephen J
  • 1 Post By hillsy
  • 1 Post By hillsy
  • 1 Post By Farmer_John

Thread: Iso a good jacket

Iso a good jacket

As the title says and I've never even tried one on, I've always been the dumbfuck riding in shorts workboots and a hoodie.. I wanna play a little safer these days and I'm turned off by super expensive gear..

So I'm wanting one that's at least padded or armored with a removable liner waterproof and has a bit of hi vis going on..

I also tend to sweat a bit as I'm a bigger guy, I can still see my Little man so I'm not fat bastard fat

I live 40 miles from the nearest bike gear shop so I'm not against buying online
    Anyone got any suggestions, I'm obviously pretty ignorant in the riding gear dept

masterdebater
    Bike lives matter

I'm a fan of motorcyclegear.com - used to be newenough.com. They have lots of good closeouts and are usually very descriptive on fitment:

Best Deals! :: MotorcycleGear.com
    Magster likes this.

A good one is to pop to the local clothing store and try on what you want to get an idea of fit and feel. Then you know exactly what to purchase cheaper online.

If you sweat a bit (I'm of the same stock) Then consideration of breathability and wicking need to be near the front of the list.

A major cause of "rider error" accidents during the summer months is from riders becoming dehydrated in all their protective gear and as a result their brain becomes impaired. Mild dehydration exhibits the same symptoms as being on the drink drive limit.

If you stop sweating on a hot day then it is an imminent danger warning.

Go for something with good shoulder, elbow and back protection. If you are shopping at a dealer then don't be afraid to give important seams and zips a good ragging about; if you can pull it to bits with your hands then it ain't gonna stand up to a 40mph spill onto tarmac. Avoid the jackets with the sewn on sponsor badges as they are usually fashion items that drop to bits with the first good slide up the road. Zip vents are good for summer riding (always remember to put plenty of water back into the system to top up what is being lost) and are usually found under the arms or on the top of the shoulders. If you plan on winter riding in the same gear then allow in the sizing for all the other layers that will go underneath.

With the jacket on check for the ability for padding to move around (no good having armour that protects against the initial impact then shifts in or with the suit causing damage to the joint it was supposed to protect. Also you don't want a jacket that will ride up if you go down the road feet first.

The non-leather clothing technology has come on in leaps and bounds over the past twenty years with materials like kevlar becoming widespread and the breathable, waterproof fabric technology advances giving a plethora of choices available. Usually Kevlar is found in areas like shoulders and elbows. It is however expensive and cheaper suits or jackets which boast kevlar are using a kevlar/nylon/lycra blend which dramatically reduces the strength and durability. Cordura actually performs as well as kevlar in most crash situations but it will melt very quickly at high temperatures, unlike kevlar.

Get to that dealers with a notebook and pen and try as much as you can on. Note sizes and fit and then you will have a better chance of selecting the right size for an un-tried, from the net garment.

Hope you find a good quality jacket that is right for you. One day it might just save your skin.
    Last edited by pwalo; 01-24-2017 at 03:21 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I had to suit up on the cheap as well and ended up with a tourmaster 3 Jacket and some Olympia riding pants. Both turned out to be spot on. Paid $100 each for them. Got a lightly used pair of Joe Rocket boots with lots of protection for $90. They'd been in a closet for years and were near new. The deals are there just gotta watch for'm. Good time to be looking have a look here -- Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore
    DohcBikes likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by pwalo View Post
    A good one is to pop to the local clothing store and try on what you want to get an idea of fit and feel. Then you know exactly what to purchase cheaper online.
    Or you could just go to your local motorcycle dealer and actually buy his products. You know, support your local businesses and all that.

The number of people I've heard bitching about how they bought something on line and it didn't fit and they had to send it back to China and it ended up costing more in postage than the item was worth is enormous.

The other benefit of buying locally is you have a real person to take back any items for warranty claims.

And you might make new friends
    DohcBikes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Or you could just go to your local motorcycle dealer and actually buy his products. You know, support your local businesses and all that.

The number of people I've heard bitching about how they bought something on line and it didn't fit and they had to send it back to China and it ended up costing more in postage than the item was worth is enormous.

The other benefit of buying locally is you have a real person to take back any items for warranty claims.

And you might make new friends
    You've never been to fiveways in hull then. I've been calling that place the main stealer for over twenty years. Proper rip off merchants who try every which way they can to wriggle out of warranty claims, charge hideous workshop tarrifs for poor work (I know of two bikes in the past few years which left after a service with no oil in them) and are generally shitty to everyone who isn't handing over large bundles of cash.

Speedsport leathers, on the other hand is a cracking spot. I was in there just the other day with Betty trying on new helmets for her and that is where I will be making the purchase from. A long standing local trader of high repute (He made leathers for a lot of racers back in the day and I've personally crash tested one of his tailor made suits at 130mph plus and it worked perfect) whom I not only give my business to, but recommend him to others. He has no extra money he has to make to pay for the massive showroom and air conditioned secretary and he values all of his customers the same whether they pop in for a brew and a chat or buy half the shop.

I just don't like big brand dealerships. I've worked for them before and been earning £12 an hour using the tools that I had to buy and learn how to use, whilst my labour was being charged out at over £75 pound an hour. Then they have the audacity to try and gee you up so that they earn even more from your hard work.

By all means, if the dealer is competitively priced and owned by reasonable people and not cash grabbers, buy from the local dealer.

I usually find that not to be the case though.

There have always been good and bad dealerships - you just have to find the good ones.

The thing is that if you don't support your good guys, they wont be there much longer.

I guess we're lucky having worked in the industry so we know who the good guys are.

My buddy who manages the accessories dept in a Yamaha / KTM dealership has a long list of regular customers who keep coming back to him because his customer service and pricing is awesome.
    pwalo likes this.

I bought this Firstgear textile jacket a couple years ago. It's a good fit and for whatever reason makes the wife smile.

The only thing I DON'T like are the cuffs. I'd rather have a zipper than a snap, but that's nitpicking.

Though it retails for around 180.00, I bought mine for 90+- from what was Competition Accessories in Springfield Ohio. They've since changed their name (like that matters)

It's good with the liner for me to around 50. Without, well, I always wear it.

If you're not going to buy from a dealer, at least go try different brands on. They all fit a bit different. Name:  IMG_0955.PNG
Views: 38
Size:  1.27 MB
    pwalo likes this.

Where you live dictates the jacket you need in a big way. In my area of Canada I need a 3 season or, more than one jacket. Mines good for 75% of our riding weather. The rest of the time I'm a lil to warm or need a sweater. Safety should be your first concern but if it looks like a garbage bag your not likely to wear it so looks is important to a degree. Elbow shoulder and back protection. Get it all. I was checking the site I put a link to earlier and there are several for under a 100 that look the business and a load more for under 200. Zip out liners make for versatility so I'd go with one of those. If ya don't run with a tank bag or saddle bags then pockets lots of pockets. I can take a cell phone, camera, cigarettes (when I smoked) a bottle of water, maps and a bag of trail mix and still have room left. One more thing. Venting and adjustability. OK that's 2 but anyway venting on hot days is a nice feature as long as they have ample exhaust venting or your jacket balloons up and gets fucking annoying. Most jackets now have lots of adjustment for custom fit or adding under layers. As Forrest would say. "And that's all I know about that" good luck.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Sponsored Links