Shitbox Cars
Close

Shitbox Cars

This is a discussion on Shitbox Cars within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; While looking at an old '80s vehicles for sale mag; I was thinking that there really could be 365 days of Shitboxes. So; with the ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shitbox Cars

Shitbox Cars

While looking at an old '80s vehicles for sale mag; I was thinking that there really could be 365 days of Shitboxes. So; with the likes of Pintos, Colts and Chevettes in mind I picked this in honor of Valentine's Day. THE CHEVY LUV: day one of 365 -

Did I ever own a shitbox? My first car was a '68 VW squareback. Fuel injection and no heat. I commuted to school in new England - a 70 mile round trip.
    Dreamqueen
    USCRA #305

omg!!!! i was talking about a website for just this thing not too long ago with a friend of mine!!! ill post some i find. there or plenty in murdermore.
    not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

omg!!!! i was talking about a website for just this thing not too long ago with a friend of mine!!! ill post some i find. there or plenty in murdermore.
    not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

A shitbox is a car that was never any good to begin with. A car with some kind of inherent design flaw, or a serious lapse of engineering judgement. Either mechanical (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, early VW vans, etc.) or aesthetic (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, Pontiac Aztek, etc.).

The Chevy LUV isn't a true shitbox. It was a good little truck, made by Isuzu. I guesss some of them had problems with blowing head gaskets, but I never found out if that was a design flaw or just poor maintenance.

A shitbox is a car that was never any good to begin with. A car with some kind of inherent design flaw, or a serious lapse of engineering judgement. Either mechanical (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, early VW vans, etc.) or aesthetic (Ford Pinto, early Corvairs, Pontiac Aztek, etc.).

The Chevy LUV isn't a true shitbox. It was a good little truck, made by Isuzu. I guesss some of them had problems with blowing head gaskets, but I never found out if that was a design flaw or just poor maintenance.

I think a shitbox is just a shitty now car - ie one that is maintained on a shoestring budget by an owenr with just enough skills to keep it running safe. Also it should be (btut doesn't have to be) an economy car that even if it were in super condition would be worthless anyway. The only exclusion to this would be late 1970s road tanks, because even though they were expensive new, the gas crunch and shitty workmanship made these dinos worthless almost instantly. A 1977 Buick Electra 225 is too big to be practical, too boxy to be classic, and too 1970s cush meets cheap to be anything other than a ghetto crusier - ie a perfect shitbox.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

I think a shitbox is just a shitty now car - ie one that is maintained on a shoestring budget by an owenr with just enough skills to keep it running safe. Also it should be (btut doesn't have to be) an economy car that even if it were in super condition would be worthless anyway. The only exclusion to this would be late 1970s road tanks, because even though they were expensive new, the gas crunch and shitty workmanship made these dinos worthless almost instantly. A 1977 Buick Electra 225 is too big to be practical, too boxy to be classic, and too 1970s cush meets cheap to be anything other than a ghetto crusier - ie a perfect shitbox.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

the Chevy luv was a shit box, i had one, bought it off the neighbor for 800, there was a hill on may home from work and even with a full speed running start i would only get half way up before having to feather the choke in an effort to maintain 45 i was the guy in the right lane everybody gave dirty looks, like i wanted to go that slow, the door would get stuck a lot so you had to climb in on the passenger side, i was going to sell for scrap when a tree fell on it got 1200 from the insurance co
    had a vw van too, no heat, the fuel injection didn't work when it was cold, and the side door fell off if you opened it too far
    but far and away the worst car i owned was an audi 100 because it was always breaking and was so hard to fix

the Chevy luv was a shit box, i had one, bought it off the neighbor for 800, there was a hill on may home from work and even with a full speed running start i would only get half way up before having to feather the choke in an effort to maintain 45 i was the guy in the right lane everybody gave dirty looks, like i wanted to go that slow, the door would get stuck a lot so you had to climb in on the passenger side, i was going to sell for scrap when a tree fell on it got 1200 from the insurance co
    had a vw van too, no heat, the fuel injection didn't work when it was cold, and the side door fell off if you opened it too far
    but far and away the worst car i owned was an audi 100 because it was always breaking and was so hard to fix

Early Corvairs? Early VW vans? Wha? Don't like swingaxles then, eh?
    I contest that the Corvair wasn't an inherent shitbox of a car. Some overzealous GM marketing and inadequate tire design resulted in a bad rap. And I still voted for Ralph.
    Drive the VW within its means and you'll be OK. Things get spookily quite around 80mph.
    My shitbox....A '72 BMW Bavaria. That particular car was a piece of shit, mad with gremlins and tiny be-forked devils. Fix one thing, the local deity gets shitty and moves to the other end of the car. I drove it for its Old World Charm. Sold it for $400 a long time ago in Warm Springs, OR.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links