Cafe Racers For Tall Guys - Page 3
Close

Cafe Racers For Tall Guys

This is a discussion on Cafe Racers For Tall Guys within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Crap. Geeto I got a 1982 CB750 Nighthawk I am assuming this falls under the C bikes for "SC". I am 6'2 Can I just ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cafe Racers For Tall Guys

Crap. Geeto I got a 1982 CB750 Nighthawk I am assuming this falls under the C bikes for "SC". I am 6'2 Can I just customize by adding a 14.5ish rear shock? and possibly adding more cushion to the seat?

Quote Originally Posted by CafeBustelo View Post
    Crap. Geeto I got a 1982 CB750 Nighthawk I am assuming this falls under the C bikes for "SC". I am 6'2 Can I just customize by adding a 14.5ish rear shock? and possibly adding more cushion to the seat?
    the 1982 CB750SC is kind of an interesting bike. They have a frame that is similar to the cbF models but still use a 16" rear with a drum and a leading axle fork. they use a different shock from the lowered Custom C model and the F model. It also has flat track styling that was originally developed for the honda ascot and was popular at the time. As such they don't have the lowered seat height the C model has but they aren't the big tall in the saddle freight train that the CBF's are either. At 6'2" you should be fine, but you know that already since you own the motorcycle and probably have sat on it and even ridden it, right?

I think the SC nighthawk has potential for a neat custom motorcycle, but it does have some of the same hurdles that one has to overcome if trying to make a C bike handle, namely the fork and wheel sizes. If you were to jack the rear up with 14.5" shocks I would strongly urge you to swap the forks over to cbF forks to get rid of the leading axle. Ideally the setup I would encourage is the CBR 600 F2 rear wheel (or 1980's VFR interceptor rear wheel) and a cbr F0 hurricane front setup with cbr600f2 front wheel swap (it's a common swap on cbF bikes and there are detailed write-ups on cb1100F.net).

I don't know if cbF foot plates fit the SC frame but they should since they bolt to the rear engine mounts, which would make the conversion to rear disc easier and would even allow you to use the honda "sport kit" factory rear sets.

not that you asked but my perfect cb750SC nighthawk would have:
    - stock bodywork and paint
    - cb1100F rear swingarm
    - CBR 600 f2 rear wheel
    - CBR conventional fork
    - CBr600 f2 front wheel
    - Superbike or flat track handlebar
    - 4-1 pipe
    - avon tires
    - Rear shocks (ohlins if money no object, Hagon or Vipex if on a budget)
    - Led Light strip frenched into the rear fin rather than the bulky taillight
    - 1/4 fairing
    - Kehin CR carbs
    - Dyna coils and wires
    - cbF lattice sport kit foot plates

and assuming I could find one cheap I would eventually like to do a cb1100F or 900F engine swap. You can tell I have put a lot of thought into this.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 01-09-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    oh, and buy stock in the company that makes bar end mirrors. They are the only mirrors I use because the are the only mirrors that don't give me a clear view of my shoulders and nothing else.
    Yep, I have to lean out of the way to see with my stock mirrors. They would look ridiculous if I extended them to work properly. The Triumph never had them so I didn't give it much thought. The cannon ball run theory, "Whatsa behind me is not important" which it is.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links