Close

2011 Bullet C5

This is a discussion on 2011 Bullet C5 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; just to show you how closely these bikes are to the originals here is a 2013 bullet 500: and a 1957 Royal Enfield G2 Bullet:...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2011 Bullet C5

just to show you how closely these bikes are to the originals here is a 2013 bullet 500:

Name:  2013_Royal_Enfield_Bullet_500_529435_i0.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  60.3 KB

and a 1957 Royal Enfield G2 Bullet:

Last edited by Geeto67; 03-28-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Frankie, the Big Kahuna: What does that mean, "we're not in?"
    Annette: Wild guess? I think it means they're not in.
    Bobby: Boy, it's quite a piece of dialogue when you intellectual masterminds get together! I should be writing this down!

Frankie, the Big Kahuna: But what does "we" mean?
    Bobby: [impossibly sarcastic] I think it's the plural form, meaning "more than one." Would you like me to conjugate that for you, Pop? Do you know what "conjugate" means, Dad?

I love the look of wrapped pipes, but I had heard that they can be detrimental to the bike, so I've been on the fence about them. This is a reason I troll around on this site...lol. Plenty of building and riding experience here if you know how to ask. I think some lower profile round mirrors might look good on it. Don't know about the signals... I'll have to look around.
    "There is only room for one on this microphone. So in my finest hour, I'm still alone." - SR-71
    1976 CB750F
    1985 CMX250C

pipe wrap traps moisture and retains heat. There are times when it is a necessary evil but for the most part all it does is cause your pipes to rust faster than you would believe (and blue as well).
    FallenSaint likes this.
    Bobby: Boy, it's quite a piece of dialogue when you intellectual masterminds get together! I should be writing this down!

Bobby: [impossibly sarcastic] I think it's the plural form, meaning "more than one." Would you like me to conjugate that for you, Pop? Do you know what "conjugate" means, Dad?

The only use I see for header wrap is if your pipes are totally rusted on the exterior, then the wrap will tidy the look up. It will also accelerate the rusting, but it'll look purty.
    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Hopefully today is the day I'll bring the RE home. Got my permit, and I'll hit the bike shop this afternoon. I spent yesterday at the local HD shop just to see if there were any other models I found comfortable and affordable. They had a nice Iron 883, but most 883's quickly get traded in for 1200's. Just not ready for that much engine yet. I did sit a Street Bob that was amazingly comfortable, and even for a big bike, and my small size, it had such a low center of gravity, that I balanced it with no effort at all. Unfortunately the $14k price tag (Reasonable for a Street Bob) is way out of my price range. I still think the RE is my best bet. If I get approved on the financing, I'll take her on a test run just to make sure, and make her mine.
    "There is only room for one on this microphone. So in my finest hour, I'm still alone." - SR-71
    1976 CB750F
    1985 CMX250C

Whats the thought on these??? I think they "look" pretty cool but haven't heard anything about them. I assumed they were just trying to market it for a certain "group" of people, but i could be wrong. Has anyone actually rode one of these things?

Name:  Royal-Enfield-Cafe-Racer.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  189.2 KB

I believe harris designed the frame. Harris is a well know and respected frame manufacturing company for performance machines (the harris magnum is a legendary special from the 70's -80's). To me that is a big deal because they wouldn't half ass it or phone it in but make a pretty cracking motorcycle. One of the biggest downsides to the RE is that the current frame design is rooted in the 1950's english designed enfields with only a few upgrades and none of them to improve the handling. They bikes are basically a little long in the tooth.

RE is def trying to cash in on the retro market and why shouldn't they - all their US products are in that market already so a little diversity in the product line is a good thing. The thing I like is that there are few "sporting singles" being sold new, and the original brit racers of the 50's and 60's have a heritage steeped in sporting singles from the vincent comet, velocette venom, Norton manx, and the BSA gold star to the other lesser knowns like the panther model 100. The japanese understood the allure behind a sporting brit single and some of their own singles are somewhat legendary like the SR400/500 and the GB500 (not to mention all the single cyl dirt bikes they sold in the thousands like the XL350).

If you look at the original continental it was basically the same formula: A sporting british 250 single built to satisfy club racers and 205cc limited learner's permit riders who wanted something more sporty than a Mac or a BSA C15. I personally like it, but then again I am a closet thumper lover (despite being a bear riding a tricycle on one) and think as one of the only choices for a 500cc single RE is just great to have in the marketplace as an option.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.harris-performance.com/

...............I like that bike and they are relatively affordable even if buying a new one. They are retailing at just over 5k in the uk, which is less than it would cost for a thorough rebuild or restoration of a classic thumper. The depreciation isnt so bad on them too. I actually considered buying one last year after seeing a couple at a Classic Bike show.

in the states they were almost as much as a new bottom of the line bonneville black, which made them a hard sell. it isn't hard to find brand new 2 year old ones sitting around showrooms even now. I can tell you from personal experience that the profit margins on all the models was so thin there was hardly any room for dealers to negotiate the price (on some models we were talking about less than $1000 between wholesale and retail and that's thin for something that isn't high volume in the states).

however to combat this RE has cut the prices on the entire range by as much as $1400:
    Royal Enfield Buzz Blog ? Royal Enfield Unveils a Bold Pricing Strategy

the margins are still thin but this actually makes them a hell of a buy now for a bargain new motorcycle ($5K msrp vs yamaha's proposed $5,990 for the SR400).

The only thing that really dings me about RE is that most of their dealers don't know how to market these bikes. The big places that take on these bikes as a novelty brand are used to the big mfgs doing a lot of marketing or production of materials for them (anybody see the new BMW RnineT TV commercial yet?), while the smaller places (ducati/aprillia/ guzzi/vespa dealers for instance) can't justify an agresssive marketing campaign on a bike with an $800 profit margin. Plus if you dealer is pushing triumph it is way easy to upsell a walk in to a bonneville and there is no incentive to down sell to a RE to close the deal.

The way I see it, these are enthuasist motorcycles without an enthuasist group. It needs to grow the way the vespa cults did - with people getting together for rides, maybe a local club, and a shop that specalizes in them and can actually stock parts and accessories. I just see so much potential, and unfortunatly I don't own one and it isn't in the cards for me to buy another bike at the moment.

I'm working on the missus at the moment trying to convince her I need to get an RE while I take the zephyr off the road.. she seems to be coming round!
    Ignorance Is Bliss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links