Cafe Racer Forum banner

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

256K views 3K replies 107 participants last post by  knappyfeet 
#1 ·
I assume that many members here are doing lots of small, but interesting things throughout the days.
While those things might not warrant a 1000 page thread I thought it would be fun to have a thread that people could post the small things.
Be it a job done on a bike, or car, or just something fun you did.

Me?
I took the CB1100F for a state inspection.
Also waxed it, adjusted the timing chain, and a few small squawks that it had.

What did you guys do over the weekend?

See less See more
#2,415 ·
Going to drill holes through the lake ice to see if we can pull some food out of them. Never tried it before because it looked so darn boring but apparently it can be done.

Ordered a new snowmobile today too, I need it to pack down the trails for the motorcycles to ride, the motorcycles don't like the deep powder snow much but the machine packed trails a still fine, fine, fine.

#2,416 ·
I put my track bike project on indefintie hold financially. I had to since I put a deposit down on a 2022 Ducati V2 Streetfighter. Haven' tactually seen one in the flesh yet let alone sat in one, but it's not the first time I've bought a bike I've never seen.

And the deposit is 100% refundable for any reason so it's not like it's a big risk really.

#2,419 ·
BUY? But... but... I thought you were going to send me one of yours!

Seriously though, I tend to view the classic bikes and the modern bikes as two different groups. I never considered replacing the V85 with a vintage bike and hesitate to sell the 851 to pay for a modern bike... so if I were to get a Bimota it would be funded by the 851. But it's true this purchase does make that unlikely any time soon.

When the V2 Panigale came out I wanted one as a bookmark for the 851. But I also wanted to put higher bars on it. A friend did that to his 1199(?) Panigale and while it required a few mods (aka wasn't cheap), it turned out pretty nice. I never ponied up for that though, and then Ducati introduced the V2 Street Fighter which is what I wanted to do, direct from the factory. Time to put my money where my mouth is.

Which is a long way of saying the V2 will kind of be a book end to the 851 so I won't be selling that right away. Ok the SF isn't as fitting as a Panigale would be but let's face it, there's a reason my 996 rarely got ridden. I have a feeling I'll ride a Street Fighter more often than I would ride a Panigale, so I'm giving myself some latitude on the whole "bookend" analogy. AKA I'm rationalizing why I need a new Ducati at this point in my life. I've also told people I'm doing it because if I'm going to have a bike sitting around in my garage, I'd prefer it had "Ducati" on the tank instead of "Moto Guzzi" Sadly both explantations are valid.

#2,421 ·
I just started prepping the Guzzi for sale today, that's the top priority. Then I need to decide if I'm going to shelve the 900ss for the time being. If I do, the hardtail is back up to the front of the line. This is likely as I'll just use the SF if I want to do a trackday.

I still won't have much money to spend on teh hardtial though. Might have to go back to the "make do with what I have around" theme. Or steal even more parts from the 350. I'm never going to finish that one, I'm going backwards on it now!

#2,423 ·
Today I moved my Guzzi V85TT from my walkout basement to my garage. That means across a hill, then turning up the hill. It's Michigan. It's February. I cleared a narrow trail but it was still a complete PITA. I had one person helping. I could have used 4. There were a couple moments I thought we were completely screwed but my helper worked his ass off and we finally made it.

Lesson learned. Get more people or wait for spring. but with it in the garage I can now list it for sale, just in time for the incoming snowstorm.

Hopefully someone wants it, daddy needs a new street fighter!

#2,425 ·
Today I moved my Guzzi V85TT from my walkout basement to my garage. That means across a hill, then turning up the hill. It's Michigan. It's February. I cleared a narrow trail but it was still a complete PITA. I had one person helping. I could have used 4. There were a couple moments I thought we were completely screwed but my helper worked his ass off and we finally made it.

Lesson learned. Get more people or wait for spring. but with it in the garage I can now list it for sale, just in time for the incoming snowstorm.

Hopefully someone wants it, daddy needs a new street fighter!
I wouldn't really call what we got yesterday a storm. Didn't even really slow my wife's commute last night (Jackson/Wagner rd.)! Didn't love the Guzzi?

#2,427 ·
When you are riding on studs the best conditions are when you send the dog out to go pee but he falls down and slides to the bottom of the hill and struggles to get up, that's perfect conditions for studded tires. It just keeps snowing and I just keep packing it down to ride on it until spring and maple syrup season arrives then it turns everything to slippery mud, followed by serious riding season. It's the cycle of life :cool:

#2,428 ·
You guys ever check out the prices on Honda previous year model sales, I was just noticing 2021 CB500F are listing for 7600$ CDN right now, that's just shy of 6 grand US$

... if you buy one put a screen over the air intake or mice will make a nest inside it.

#2,431 ·
Seeing what my new snoscoot can do :cool:
Snowmobile Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Tree

Turns out a Lot! the thing is a little tank. Unbeatable in the woods, normal snowmobiles aren't following this things tracks. Yamaha nailed it, beats the heck out of snowshoes for breaking trails, the engine has adequate power and the track has awesome traction. The machine is so light I can send it up anything and not be worried about getting it hopelessly stuck (y) highly recommended little snow machine if you need such a thing.

#2,439 ·
Still near 20 inches of ice on my lake, last week we seen a white tail deer accidentally step into one of our ice fishing holes. Wildlife is really making good use of all our new motorcycle riding trails here and nothing seems to be afraid of the dirt bikes very much. Some friends coming out to ride tomorrow, it's cold and wet and slippery with frost coming out of the mud and most rock outcrops completely exposed, so the big decision for the day is; do I ride studded tires or plain rubber :unsure:

@Tinsnips & @woodsman, you guys should plan of riding out my way some time this year, I'll let you test ride one of my crazy lightweight motorcycles that have no seat :LOL:

#2,441 ·
No lakes here outside of Lakes Ontario or Erie. The ponds and streams are all clear - they crested and iced out a couple weeks ago. Water was unusually high when they did. I think the ice boom at the mouth of the Niagara River is still in place though. Need to check conditions at the fishing camp. Likely still frozen hard.

#2,443 ·
Terrible snow riding conditions today but it sure is nice to be finding some rock to ride again. More guys coming out tomorrow, seems like everybody and their cousin bought a new trials bike this year :cool:

Snips lives in Niagara region, just across the big waterfall from you, woodsman is north of Toronto in expensive cottage country and I'm in the economical depressed Land o'lakes region which is closer to Ottawa. Did you ever do any work with American Optical out of Buffalo NY ? (y) great company, they made really good equipment back in the day.

#2,444 ·
Terrible snow riding conditions today but it sure is nice to be finding some rock to ride again. More guys coming out tomorrow, seems like everybody and their cousin bought a new trials bike this year :cool:

Snips lives in Niagara region, just across the big waterfall from you, woodsman is north of Toronto in expensive cottage country and I'm in the economical depressed Land o'lakes region which is closer to Ottawa. Did you ever do any work with American Optical out of Buffalo NY ? (y) great company, they made really good equipment back in the day.
I grew up in Orchard Park, about 2-1/2 miles from the stadium. My sister still lives in that neighborhood. I was 14 when we moved, and you can count the times I've been back since on your fingers, so I have mostly distant memories of the area. However, my sister still regularly sends me care packages of sponge candy from Ko-Ed Candies and syrup from Merle Maple in Attica.

It's very curious, out of all the things from Buffalo, you should mention AO. My father was an optician in Buffalo. There's still a retail optical shop in the area bearing our family name. Dad sold the business and became a contact lens engineer, which is what eventually moved us out to the Midwest the late '70s.

#2,447 ·
Yeah, I am Niagara Falls Ontario now but grew up in Vineland with a few years in Toronto in between.

Not sure about how cheap those seats are Woodsman. The real estate market has gone insane in the last 10 years. My place has almost tripled in value. It has to be brutal up there right now.

#2,448 ·
Since I'll never own an original "1HX" Yamaha FZ250, I figured I could at least get a small piece of one. So I ordered this, and it arrived this morning. I have a collection of other pistons I keep on a shelf in my cubicle at work -- everything from an MB5 to a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp -- and this will be a great addition. I should have put a dime in the photo for scale; it's remarkably tiny for a 4-valve chamber.
Kitchen appliance Gas Silver Electric blue Jewellery

#2,449 ·
We numbered 10 riders at my place today, lots of spectacular crashes and lots of really good rides too, more then half of them are new to the sport and using trials bikes to cross train ride so they can ride enduro bikes faster :cool: pretty cool fun those enduro guys have the big balls it takes to try most anything you point them up once they see it done by somebody else (y) hopefully some of them are up to riding again tomorrow