Modded xt600, zzr600, vs duke 390 - Page 2
Close

Modded xt600, zzr600, vs duke 390

This is a discussion on Modded xt600, zzr600, vs duke 390 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Get the KTM. I have 3 big singles, I have ridden on the street and raced big singles for 30 years and they are not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Modded xt600, zzr600, vs duke 390

Get the KTM. I have 3 big singles, I have ridden on the street and raced big singles for 30 years and they are not for everybody. In fact if you need to ask about them, they are not for you. If I was in your situation, I would get the KTM and I really like big singles.

Get the KTM!!!
    TrialsRider likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

lol
    Winwin, I think Ken believes the KTM would be a wise choice and I am inclined to fully agree. Even though it is a single

KTM is the best choice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I don't know. How about a KTM?

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    for filippino traffic got with the duke. Its been 14 years since I was there but I doubt it has gotten less hectic. In stop and go watercooling is nice. In traffic zzr is gonna suck also. The Duke is newer bike - way less hassle and more riding. After a scooter it will blow your mind.

but seriously the XT will not be agile and extremely unlikely that its problem free.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    We were not there to lísten. Can be full of shit - or not.

The main issue here is that when something stops working on it what are you going to do? Look at the manual? no help. Check XT board, no help. There is a huge benefit for being stock on main things. If the guy building it was not REALLY GOOD it will suck in many ways. And the seat makes me question him being very good.

buy the duke. You will love it.
    Problem was that my uncle was in a hurry, and the owner was going to refuel the bike so it can run on the street, but no more time. He sent me a vid of the engine sounds but I think the muffler masked any sounds of the engine. I am really seriously considering the duke though and this. The zzr600 is good but it will take a lot of work to make it look good.
    Last edited by Winwin; 09-13-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    Get the KTM. I have 3 big singles, I have ridden on the street and raced big singles for 30 years and they are not for everybody. In fact if you need to ask about them, they are not for you. If I was in your situation, I would get the KTM and I really like big singles.

Get the KTM!!!
    I'm confused, but I think you don't want me to get a big single, but you want me to get a ktm, which is a big single. But okay. Hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    As you say, it only has one cylinder, if you put a big bore kit on a 750cc 4 cylinder engine, that could bring the displacement up to ~810cc' which is considerably different then the gains to be had on a single. Changing the stroke on a motor would have considerably more effect on the nature and performance of a motor.

Using the XT600 as an example, the oversized piston range is apparently from about 1mm to 3mm over stock. That change on it's own without additional modifications to take advantage of the relatively slight displacement increase will do little towards making it significantly more powerful / faster. What it will do is to prevent you from ever boring the barrel out again, in the event that you score the barrel and need to fix it, which is the real motivation to go for an over-sized piston. An OEM replacement barrel is relatively expensive and you would be advised to investigate if they are even available for that bike before committing to the purchase.

If somebody told me the over-bore was done strictly for street performance gains, my first question would be: Do you have the original parts to show me their condition?
    … a question best asked to him directly, so that you can see if he balks with the response.
    If he still has the parts, you will be able to tell much more about the bikes history and I can almost guarantee there will be some signs of wear and blow-by. Same with any of the other original parts. People generally don't throw those things out unless they are total scrap. The resale market for used pistons is virtually non-existent so if he says he sold them, I would be skeptical of that as well.

"Engine noise goes away once it gets warm" -> No problem, I'm in no hurry, I can wait the 5 minutes for it to reach operating temperature

btw: does it have a speedometer or do you not need one where you live?
    I don't know if it is required by law, but I did already request to put a speedo in case I buy it. I'd want to ride it but it's in a different city, I will be there in November though. Somehow I like the look except for the seat.

Regarding OEM vs Wiseco, I've read mostly that the wiseco is a better choice since it is better than the OEM, but you guys are the experts and that's why I'm here asking. Hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I'm glad this is a noob friendly community and I could ask really dumb questions without getting bashed to the ends of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    KTM is the best choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
    I don't know. How about a KTM?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    lol
    Winwin, I think Ken believes the KTM would be a wise choice and I am inclined to fully agree. Even though it is a single
    KTM does sound like a good choice, but these problems seem to scare me.
    6 Negatives of Duke 390 and why it is not perfect. - RiderZone

Seems like a lot of servicing. Oh and I've read that the KTM is kinda tight? I'm not that tall, I'm around 5'11" of chinese and around 70kg fit.

here's a vid. Dunno if you guys can tell anything from it though.

the rear fender is kinda key.... it keeps water from splashing up onto you and it holds your license plate
    latered

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links