Trucks are flippin expensive. - Page 3
Close

Trucks are flippin expensive.

This is a discussion on Trucks are flippin expensive. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 that truck looks so california and so much fun it is hard not to like it. Things I would want to ...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Trucks are flippin expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    that truck looks so california and so much fun it is hard not to like it.

Things I would want to know are:
    - slip yoke eliminator? if not at least new driveshaft and bumpstops?
    - alignment?
    - was the trans rebuilt (new transmission for one is $1600)
    - what are the current gear ratios?
    It's one of the things that I find appealing............that 90s vibe to it.

Bumpstops if I remember were good. Driveshaft, the eliminator and tranny I don't know. Oh wait....I think the transmission was orignal.
    It was at True Line and got an alignment. I saw it there one time and thought they had sold it.

Gear ratios I need to find out. I think the tires were 33s.

Bought a new, leftover, 2013 Tacoma in 2014. Paid $26K for it. I could list it up now, and get that back out of it. Used car prices are insane these days, as are the new ones.

Granted, I got a hell of a deal on the Tacoma. The bank was at the dealership selling them for the dealership. Apparently loans were not satisfied. Paid $500 less for the truck than the dealership had in it with the bank.
    www.slipstreamcycle.com

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    It's one of the things that I find appealing............that 90s vibe to it.

Bumpstops if I remember were good. Driveshaft, the eliminator and tranny I don't know. Oh wait....I think the transmission was orignal.
    It was at True Line and got an alignment. I saw it there one time and thought they had sold it.

Gear ratios I need to find out. I think the tires were 33s.
    What year is it? There really are a lot of differences in that generation year to year.

Pretty sure those are 35's. And the wheels have some large offset. Not good on ball joints, which are already prone to wear on those trucks. Also, if the trans is a 4l60e, kiss it goodbye with those tires. However, they can be built to handle a lot more abuse, but if it were mine i'd get a 4l80e and be done.

105k is not a lot for that truck. My 95 has 230k on it, but 3/4 tons do last longer.

Put a magnet on the cab corners.

What kind of lift is it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Does carfax show repairs not done by insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Does carfax show repairs not done by insurance?
    NOPE. And it doesn't show all repairs done with insurance either. Which is why carfax is a joke.

I think this truck would look a hell of a lot better if it had a nice red dirt bike sitting in the back of it.
    drgonzo and Geeto67 like this.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post

I think this truck would look a hell of a lot better if it had a nice red dirt bike sitting in the back of it.
    You think everything would look better with a dirbike
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    I can't imagine why any older gentleman would dream of a late model truck.
    Lots of the older generation, esp the jet age/space age guys love technology. My father is 72 and he is constantly loving new stuff. Was a huge advocate for the Chevy Volt, constantly thinks about newer airplanes, he's not really nostalgic. The only three times I have seen him nostalgic is 1) when we bought my 1995 wrangler, 2) when we started restoring a 1957 corvette, 3) when he bought his new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys wheeler. He's nostalgic for jeeps because when he was younger the take out place he worked for, chicken delight, had a CJ5 delivery vehicle and he loved it, the vette is sort of a unicorn for him in that they keep eluding him and he wanted one growing up. The volt was his "dream car" when it came out (he was #7 on the waiting list), and the wrangler unlimited was his most recent dream car, nothing old. His buddies are the same way, always talking about putting glass panels into 1970's-90's airplanes, and buying new cars and modding the crap out of them (one of them has a supercharged fiat abarth 500 that all he uses it for it burnouts in his friends driveways).

Not every gear head thinks that the past is the best, some really just like technology. I am an cranky old car/bike wonk who drove a YJ jeep and a '67 GTO as a daily driver (as well as riding a litany of 1970's motorcycles as transport) and I can tell you new cars are way better in every way - they just aren't what I prefer. Sure they are more complex, but they are more reliable and twice as durable. It's rare to see an old car that survived beyond 200K miles, but there are NY taxi cabs that are 5 years old that have twice that. It used to be 1950's-60's cars were practically worn out by the time they hit 100K, the only advantage they had was they were cheap to fix and could be fixed with hand tools. We currently live in the golden age of performance cars right now - they are safer, make more hp, are more efficient, and in some cases easier to diagnose. The only thing they are not is cheap to repair due to the special tools and the cost of parts made out of exotic metals rather than steel.
    Fk5 likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post

I'll do you one better: it would look a hell of a lot better with two 1980's Honda steel frame CR250s with sand tires in the bed, two fire extinguishers attached to the headache bar supports, and two steel jerry cans on a rack in the bed. Also if there was a giant happy face painted on the tailgate and a cb whip antenna with an orange flag attached to the bed rail. too specific?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Ews
    To add on to what Geeto was saying,
    While many in the "older" generation do love the older vehicles. There are many who don't want to hassle with the maintenance of older rigs. My father in law likes all the amenities that come along with newer trucks, heated seats, A/C, power everything, etc... Which is funny because the man hates anything else new, he still uses a flip phone, does not know how to use a computer to save his life, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming into Direct tv service over his old basic cable (now 3 years later he can't understand how he managed to live without a DVR lol).

I have the benefit of appreciating both old and new. I can value the craftsmanship and beauty of the older rigs, but also appreciate the technology and safety of new ones. One of my dreams was to combine old and new. I wanted to take a foxbody mustang (i know its not that old) and put all the guts from a newer 5.0 mustang into it. i would get the look I liked with the new engine tech. In fact I helped my father re-upholster 3 1929 Fords for a guy, coupe, roadster and sedan ( i was only slightly jealous). The owner had them all fitted with modern engines and A/C, heated seats, etc... On the outside they looked original, lift the hood and it was like looking at a brand new car. And whats better is that he drove them all the time, I think the coupe was his daily.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links