Trucks are flippin expensive.
Close

This is a discussion on Trucks are flippin expensive. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I've been looking around on CL and what not.....looking for a pickup that tickles my fancy...... and everything is really expensive. I was considering purchasing ...

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Trucks are flippin expensive.

I've been looking around on CL and what not.....looking for a pickup that tickles my fancy...... and everything is really expensive. I was considering purchasing a new or slightly used truck but I swear I could purchase a BMW or Benz for less for what I want.

I really don't own a car now. I mean I have my elco and work vans but not really a personal vehicle. And I don't need a truck all the time but more for special circumstances. Example.......ever since my wife got her new GMC she doesn't want to launch the waverunners cause she doesn't want "saltwater on her wheels". And we can't really just go up and check our lands cause she doesn't want dust on her car. I really don't blame her as I don't want both on my El Camino either. But I don't want to dump 60K on a truck for these and a couple other instances only. So I've been looking.

Been watching this truck at a local dealer for some time. It was first listed at $7900...then $5900....and now I can get it for $5000...perhaps a little less. I love the look...4X4.....104000 miles and perfect for launching boats, desert runs, etc. But what these pics don't show is the crappy paint job and the little things. New tires and what not. Oh well. I'm starting to think that the 5K is worth it to me after looking for similar things local for awhile.

The sagebrush in the desert might start to sand the paint off.

Thoughts?

Name:  Screenshot_2016-07-17-14-00-12-1.png
Views: 186
Size:  733.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-20-09-07-15-1.png
Views: 223
Size:  826.3 KB

Just had to edit......

The yellow paint is about as loud as geeto67s comp baffle on his CB or a front row seat at a Metallica concert....just saying.
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 09-20-2016 at 10:37 AM.

From what I've seen, everything is damnit expensive now, from groceries right on up.
    pwalo likes this.

I love that generation chevy truck but rust was always a huge concern for that body style. Not that you have to worry about it in SoCal

Lifted vehicles are a pain in the ass to live with. It's why I never lifted my jeep. All the hassle of driving a semi truck without the fun of airbrake management or getting paid.

With that generation, transmissions were always "not if but when" it fails. My father had a 1999 surburban and mom had a 1999 tahoe sport. Both had Z71 offroad packages and automatic transmissions. The suburban trans failed at 160K, the tahoe at 120K miles. The tahoe needed a rear at 136K. To be fair, my father babied the suburban and we used the tahoe to tow. Both trucks have over 200k on them now, two close friends of mine bought them so I still hear about them and see them. I miss the tahoe.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ews
    A lot depends on the area you live in too. I bought a 96 F-250 XLT 4x4 a few years back (my favorite Ford truck) for $4000, with only 132k miles and the 460ci. Most people want the powerstroke in the bigger Fords, but I love that 460, I've owned and sold 2 now. Anyway, after about 2 years it spent more time sitting in my driveway not being driven than I would have liked, it ran great, I just never had the need to drive it. So I put it up for sale, a kid drove from South Dakota to my house in Idaho and paid $6000 for the truck.

The point of my story is that people will pay a nice chunk for a truck they really want, even if they have to drive, so sellers are pricing accordingly. I could never have sold my truck for $6k to a local buyer. Honestly I think that $6k for my truck was an inflated amount, but hey if someone is willing to pay that, then who am I to stop them?

That body of Chevy is popular all over. I currently drive a 96' tahoe, the wife gets to drive the brand new Focus. I prefer Ford cars and trucks, but Chevy/GMC owns the large SUV market IMO. I do like that I can pull parts off the fullsize SUV's and trucks to replace any on my Tahoe
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

In 2007 I ordered a Dodge Cummins dually, I priced the same truck this spring and it had doubled. It's hardly a wonder that the price of everything else has gone up when everyone from farmers to contractors vehicle costs have doubled in 9 years.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    In 2007 I ordered a Dodge Cummins dually, I priced the same truck this spring and it had doubled. It's hardly a wonder that the price of everything else has gone up when everyone from farmers to contractors vehicle costs have doubled in 9 years.
    Right? Some trucks deprecation is next to nothing. In 06' my dad traded in his 02' 7.3L Powerstroke for a new 6.0L Powerstroke (he regretted it soon after). We drove by the dealership a week or so later, His old truck was listed at only slightly less than a brand new powerstroke, but that was in part because in Bozeman, MT the 7.3L was highly sought after, especially when Ford stopped putting it in the 250's

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Right? Some trucks deprecation is next to nothing. In 06' my dad traded in his 02' 7.3L Powerstroke for a new 6.0L Powerstroke (he regretted it soon after). We drove by the dealership a week or so later, His old truck was listed at only slightly less than a brand new powerstroke, but that was in part because in Bozeman, MT the 7.3L was highly sought after, especially when Ford stopped putting it in the 250's
    The worth of it is more reflective of the price of a new one then depreciation. I've driven trucks since the late '70's and I don't think they have ever jumped in price like they have in the last few years.

Ews
    Everything in general is skyrocketing in price. I know that it is relative to increase in wage. But I feel this is off balence
    woodsman and drgonzo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Lifted vehicles are a pain in the ass to live with. It's why I never lifted my jeep. All the hassle of driving a semi truck without the fun of airbrake management or getting paid.
    I would agree.

It does have a lift kit but I think the pic makes it look taller than it really is.......just a tick higher than a Chevrolet Express work van.

What I have to make sure is that it runs solid with no anticipated surprises cause we cross the desert quite often. Its starting to sound like a go though.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I would agree.

It does have a lift kit but I think the pic makes it look taller than it really is.......just a tick higher than a Chevrolet Express work van.

What I have to make sure is that it runs solid with no anticipated surprises cause we cross the desert quite often. Its starting to sound like a go though.
    Not to mention the issues that could occur if the lift is done half assed. my father in law bought his "dream truck" a few years ago. 05? Chevy 1500 z71 with a 6" suspension lift. The previous owner did something wrong and one of the fron drive shafts popped out while my father in law was driving down the road. I think there is a limit to what is acceptable in terms of lift. My limit is 2", and even that is a lot. Only time I ever id a lift was on my 96' F-250, but only because the factory suspension had hte front end raked, as was common so that it was level when pulling a load. So i bought the leveling kit, raised front like 2" and rear about 1"

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links