Cafe Racer Forum banner

1979 gs750

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  lawsonblanton 
#1 ·
Im beginning my first build on a 79 gs750. The main problem I'm running in to is my forks. When I got the bike their were no brakes on front. I have dual disc set up however I don't have enough room between my forks for speedo, both rotors and caliper without hitting the forks the calipers don't even begin to fit. What am I missing. Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Are you sure your forks were not designed for a single disc brake? :/ nothing wrong with a single disc just as long as it provides sufficient brake force, such as by upgrading to a four piston calliper ;) disc brake technology in 1979 was far from the performance level of modern components.

Not too many choices to correct the problem you describe, you either move the forks wider apart by changing the triple tree yokes,
make the wheel hub more narrow to suit the forks (sounds like a crap option)
or lose one of the brake discs if that gives you sufficient clearance.
We will all be grasping at straws here in the absence of decent photos of what you are working with.

#4 ·
Hi, I am just starting my build as well. I have a 79 GS750EN that someone else has started to take a part and screwed a lot of stuff up. When I picked up bike it only had the one side Brake caliper in a box. I had to figure out how it was suppose to go. Mine came with duel front brakes and I planned on using them. I dont know if the pics will help but I do know my forks are 37 MM and are 8 3/4 from best measurement. Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Auto part
Bumper Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Car

#5 ·
... that someone else has started to take a part and screwed a lot of stuff up...
That seems like a very popular concept, I bet you can find some of your original parts for sale on flea bay and the rest will be in the local scrap yard or recycle depot.
Does it run?

... you probably need to rebuild the brake master cylinder, that's the gizmo attached to the lever on the right handlebar.

#7 ·
Funny... But no. I made sure they were on right. lol I have clearance the other side for the mirror of that one. It is on order and should be here this week. I know I will have to rebuild everything and am actually going to run a different master cylinder. Does not run but did a compression test and they all hard good pressures. I am a little unsure about the ignition style as it should have had points to start with. Ignitor is missing so i assume they where trying to figure it out when I got it. I ordered the coils and will see if I can make lemonade and then I will upgrade to DYNA ignition. I did find an oil leak between the lower block and cycliders, so I know I will have to rebuild motor anyway. So I can test before and fix later...

#10 ·
what are your current priorities of work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.