TZ250 or 350 Engine and Parts
Close

This is a discussion on TZ250 or 350 Engine and Parts within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have an aftermarket frame with forks and wheels that is need of an engine. This probably a long shot, though I thought I would ...

I have an aftermarket frame with forks and wheels that is need of an engine.
    This probably a long shot, though I thought I would throw it out there, any good resources for tracking down a tz250 or tz350 engine?

Within the US would be easiest, though Australia could also be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ajordan View Post
    I have an aftermarket frame with forks and wheels that is need of an engine.
    This probably a long shot, though I thought I would throw it out there, any good resources for tracking down a tz250 or tz350 engine?

Within the US would be easiest, though Australia could also be possible.
    check the want ads and put in a "wanted" add. try north American 2 strokes, tz250.com, race bike mart ( be careful of scams), wera, fatbaq, a lot of facebook pages you can try. - Grand Prix 250cc 2-Strokes only,, yamaha racing two-strokes , TWO STROKE RACING are 3. race. most of the race bikes and parts have been bought up and shipped to Europe. you might find some stuff in the usa or Canada. if your frame is for a early tz it might be easier to find rd350/400 engine. also try ebay. russ bigley has a lot of stuff. and yes I have a 84L 250. if you wanted to you could pm me your #. I'm in central nj not far from nyc.
    Last edited by dirkchecken; 04-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks for the response Dirk, that is more then enough to keep me busy for a long time.

The frame (Egli) is from 75 so I may put an rd350 in it for now until I'm able to track down a tz engine, if ever.
    Once I start getting more into the project I will be sure to get in touch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

don't be shy....you bought that egli didn't you?

Ask Ross if Yukio is still around. He had more than a few in his Brooklyn workshop.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

He doesn't have the engine listed in the ad but it is in the picture.
    Might be worth a call.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mpo/6090460486.html

Geeto, yeah it was just a spur of the moment thing. It was close by and I had spoken on the phone with the guy selling it about 450's before so I thought I would just go say hi and take a look, a few hours later it was in my garage... I'm sure I will speak with Ross more about it when I start working on it. Thanks for the heads up on Yukio.

S10 - Thanks, just reached out but sold already.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    don't be shy....you bought that egli didn't you?

Ask Ross if Yukio is still around. He had more than a few in his Brooklyn workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by ajordan View Post
    Thanks for the response Dirk, that is more then enough to keep me busy for a long time.

The frame (Egli) is from 75 so I may put an rd350 in it for now until I'm able to track down a tz engine, if ever.
    Once I start getting more into the project I will be sure to get in touch.
    join and post pics on the NATS forum. the guys are mostly from Europe, they build and race tz250/350/750's. someone should know the history of your frame. I don't think a more modern rz Yamaha will fit. mif the bike was built for a tz250 engine I think rd engine mounting points are the same. putting a rz engine might require some work. I'm going out to russ bigley's on sunday to pick up my tz. he might have some 250/350 engine parts. but the stuff wont be cheap. tom

For a hot street bike or racer?

RD cases are the same but will need a little machining for big end bearing half moon clips and rubber mounts. other than that they are the same - depending on year. For the street first gear is too high and porting isn't good either. For a race bike, a nice new set of gear shafts and clutch assembly and new crank and PVL ignition is a good place to start. TZ750 top end is pretty mild and probably streetable. LC radiator with bottom connection moved is as close as you can get to a TZ rad. You can get them new for about 50 bucks now.

I don't remember any Egli TZs. Do you have any pictures of the chassis?

Teazer, thank you for that info.
    i'm thinking this will most likely be race bike only.

i don't have too many photographs yet, I will grab some this weekend though.

Here are a couple of the frame, the 350 is in the front and 750 (not mine) in the background.

Name:  4C6D3E34-7C14-445A-A114-6DCF689FB205_zpssl9hfnbd.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  234.7 KBName:  66A89731-256D-497A-B291-B33E2312B2AB_zpsbqaqoaxn.jpg
Size:  229.2 KB

Name:  8B7C5B3D-ECE1-45BC-B6C3-CA12A698857D_zpsnqqwtbjl.jpg
Size:  235.0 KB

Sponsored Links