Cafe Racer Forum banner

Road Food???

738 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Teazer 
#1 ·
So, a buddy and I are planning a little road trip- not on bikes. Looking for any ideas on regional/local food and joints and dives that serve the best. Heading from upstate NY out to just over the border into Iowa- he wants to see Danielle from American Pickers tattoos.... then to the Sears Tower in Chicago. Follow Rt 66 a bit, and go up in the arch in St Louis. Other than that no plans at all. We have 6 days to fill.

also any neat roadside attractions or museums. We may hit the AMA museum in Ohio. I am not sure what each area has in food, but know I want a hotdog in Chicago and maybe pizza there as well. We are willing to go 100 miles out of the way for something interesting to see or eat.

Last Year we drove from Seattle to NY in March and there was nothing good along the interstate the whole trip (we had 16' truck full of MC parts so didn't venture far off) except a buffalo burger at Crazy Horse and an Indian Stew in Crow Nation. Lots of nothing in Montana....Did like the Corn Palace, Rushmore and the badlands.

Tips appreciated!

jack

#3 ·
If you do the AMA museum you'll be on the west side of Cbus. Let me know when you are in town and I might be able to meet up. If you are coming in to ohio from Penn then def do the Summit Racing Equipment store in Tallmadge, ohio. Jegs is here in Cbus itself but as useful as the store is...it's not that impressive. Rice Paddy is down the street and if you need something for a Japanese bike it's worth a visit.

You should def hit the North Market for both Hot Chicken Takeover and Hubert's Polish Kitchen (the pirogis are fantastic but a lot of butter) when you are in town.

email me and I'll send you my contact info.

#4 ·
Forget the hot dog in Chi town. Go for an Italian Beef. I like mine with Hot giardineira peppers, but if you don't like spicy you can get it with "sweet peppers". You won't be sorry.

Reactions: BigAl8295
#5 ·
Hot Doug's is closed for good. Too bad. That was a good recommendation for dogs on the north side. But otherwise there are dozens of hot dog places. Yeah the italian beef and italian sausages are good too.

Wrigleyville and the Lakeview neighborhood used to be a cool place with bars and hangouts. Get a pic outside wrigley field. I've read it's changed a bunch but still might be worth a look.

Riding up lake shore drive is nice. From south side all the way to evanston. Just don't stop too long once you get south of 71st street. There are a dozen or so public "beaches" along the way. If you go during summer, it's usually packed. Parking is expensive, though. View of the skyline and the harbors packed with boats is nice, too. North ave beach, Oak street beach and the new harbor just off 31st street are a couple of the more popular ones.

Just off LSD, you've got Navy pier, Museum park with adler planetarium, shedd aquarium, field museum of natural history...
Art Institute is good if you have insomnia... ;)

Logan Square is the happening neighborhood in chicago at the moment. But Lakeview, wicker park, bucktown, lincoln park all are busy.

Outside of Chicago, the ride out to Starved Rock is decent. Utica is a decent place to stay on weekends there are plenty of motorcyclists.

#6 ·
In Chicago, Uno or Due's for Pizza. For music try Kingston mines or Blues on the north side. Coming in from the south/east, take 55th (Garfield Boulevard and come in through Hyde Park and drive up LSD to get great views of the city. Take a detour at the Museum campus/soldier field and check out the best view of downtown - from the planetarium. Great during the day and spectacular at night. Drinks in the 96th bar at the Hancock center and check out the view - better than the Willis Tower or the observation deck IMHO. Drinks up there are as eye watering as the view. Chinatown has some great restaurants or if you prefer old style pub food, try the Duke of Perth, run by a guy that that raced 2 smokes for a few years.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm partial to pizza puffs. But they taste the same wherever I go in Chicago. I think they are all made in Mexico or something.

oh yeah, burritos the size of your head rock in Chicago, too.
Chinatown, good eats. Dim sum at the Phoenix restaurant is always packed on weekends, though. 2-3hr wait for lunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.