Welp, I guess this tank is done....
Close

This is a discussion on Welp, I guess this tank is done.... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So, I have been moving and therefore avoiding the garage like the plague. Just before my move kicked off I put some white vinegar into ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By s10hornet

Thread: Welp, I guess this tank is done....

So, I have been moving and therefore avoiding the garage like the plague. Just before my move kicked off I put some white vinegar into a 1982 cb900F tank I had because it was largely dent and rot free and although it had some varnished fuel in there I thought I could clean it out and then maybe just sell it. Well I go into the garage yesterday to get the step ladder for my new place and was greeted with this:

yup, that is mix of rust and white vinegar leaking out of the tank somewhere. It wasn't hard to spot where it came from:

This is kind of a new one on me but the tank hasn't been on a bike in use since the 1990's. The funny thing is, someone local asked me about this tank indicating he wanted to buy it but he wanted me to clean it first. Sure I can put a liner in it but at some point it becomes diminishing returns, since I don't own a cb900F tank anymore. In case you are wondering why a cb900F tank is a big deal, it is because they use a different petcock bung from the 750F and 1100F and there are fewer 900s than there are 750s so finding one is tougher.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Bummer.

That sucks.

So what is the garage like at the new place?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    That sucks.

So what is the garage like at the new place?
    still a single car, but now it is attached so the temp is going to be a little more manageable in the winter than my presswood unheated rental shed that was the last one. Plus there is basement storage now too so all the furniture and boxes of books and stuff that stole precious space in my garage before now goes downstairs. I am actually taking the time to set up the shelves, benches, and fixtures first instead of last time where I just grabbed stuff and threw it in there as I needed it.

Nice!!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

In case you are wondering how a tank rots out at the mounts and not the bottom where all the liquid settles - the answer is condensation. You find this a lot with two pieces of metal that are spot welded together and not properly coated with some corrosion resistant coating. Sometimes parts can go bad just sitting on your shelf in the garage

Don't trash it. I don't know what it is worth but I'm confident I can fix it.
    We do some pretty awesome weld repairs at my shop and I can x-ray and pressure test it.
    Don't know if you want to go to the trouble and expense of sending it to me but give me a holler if you want to.
    My labor is super cheap( like non-existent) and the material is free.
    drgonzo, Geeto67 and WERA689 like this.

I am probably not going to trash it, but I think it's priority just slipped from high to low for the moment. The only problem with a tank thing big is the shipping which can get to be $60 both ways. Thans for the offer, let me thing about it.

Sponsored Links