New member from NC seeking advice
Close

This is a discussion on New member from NC seeking advice within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello - my name is Tom and I live in North Carolina. I came into possession of a 1963 Honda C110 Supercub that had not ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Frenchtom
  • 1 Post By JackC

Thread: New member from NC seeking advice

Hello - my name is Tom and I live in North Carolina. I came into possession of a 1963 Honda C110 Supercub that had not been started or registered since 1967, it has only 7,600 miles on it. It belongs to my FIL who saves everything just so he can neglect it. He also has a 1982 Yamaha 550 Maxim and I am working on getting that from him as well.

I am going through the Cub right now identifying dried up seals, o-rings and spent electrical components. I'm also making a list of part numbers and sources for thing like tires, brakes, spokes, cables, bearings, etc. I plan to bring it back to stock condition although I may paint a lot of the stuff that was once chrome plated. The 2K urethane paints look promising.

I used to own Harley Davidsons. The first was a 1977 FXE that my dad owned. I have pictures of me sitting on it as a kid. He sold it to a buddy who tore it down to paint the frame and never got back to it. I picked it up in basket case condition around 1999 or 2000, got it road worthy but could never keep it that way. It stranded me for the last time on a trip to Myrtle Beach Bike week due to an electrical failure. I rented a Road King from a local dealer and eventually made the trip. When I got back I sold the FXE and bought a 2001 Road King Classic. It was gorgeous but its a total poodle bike meant for short, nice weather trips. When I ride I like to RIDE. White wall tires, leather saddlebags and chrome dripping everywhere makes for a lot of cleanup, about every 300 miles or so. Imagine commuting in a show-car caliber '57 Chevy and you will know what I mean.

Wrenching on the Cub feels great! I forgot how much I enjoy troubleshooting and restoring stuff and now I have an 8 and a 5 year old as tool helpers for the job.

The 550 Maxim my FIL owns got me thinking about a Cafe Racer project with the bobber rear fender, open triangle, pods, clip-ons, mono shock, the works. Then I came here. I was in denial at first but I now understand and appreciate the futility of building such an abortion.

I am now thinking of getting an air cooled Japanese bike from the 70's or 80's and building a classic looking race replica from it. I would like to modernize the tires, brakes and ignition (if its breaker point/condenser type) and maybe the front end. I would also consider brighter brake and turn signal lights by way of LED bulbs and maybe sculpt a new rear fender, seat and fairing. Here is the style I like although mine would be street legal and a 4 stroke:

Name:  148158_396597320414713_2142070788_n.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  79.6 KB

I'm about 6'-3" so I like the bigger displacement bikes for their larger size, I don't fold up very well on 350 cc bikes. Are there any models you recommend or models to avoid? I have no brand preference but I do like unique bikes. The Honda VFR 1000 has my attention right now.

Thanks,
    Tom
    DohcBikes and TrialsRider like this.

Welcome.

If really want a race bike replica start with something like a mid 80s GSXR750 or a Ninja. Start with something like that, methodically improve every part as you enjoy it, and you will end up with a bike that will outperform its stock counterpart by leagues. This will give you the best return on your effort and will leave you with a machine that has real value, something to be proud of.

Welcome to the forum. I'm just down the road in SC. Happy wrenching!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum. I'm just down the road in SC. Happy wrenching!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I have lots of parts for your c110- brake cables, spokes, rims, exhaust headers, probably more. Some NOS OEM, some Asian repro.Name:  IMG_4160.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1.17 MB

it is not a Super Cub, it is a Sports 50. I have one that I vintage race and am just starting to build another one- have most all the parts just need to assemble them.

There are a couple good yahoo groups for pushrod 50 Hondas- classicpushrod50's, and I think Honda Supercubs.

I would be happy to offer any help to you that I can.
    540nova likes this.

Hi Jack C and thanks, I will definitely take you up on some advice and parts. Would you happen to have an ignition coil?

Here is mine. The FIL decided to park it with chickens crapping all over it after slathering it with house paint. The guy has issues.

Name:  IMG_1587.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  3.40 MBName:  IMG_1593.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  3.38 MBName:  IMG_1999.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  2.13 MB

Jack - By the way, do you know what this is? As I was splitting the cases it fell out. I have no idea where it goes and the manuals I have don't show it.

Name:  IMG_2060.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  1.02 MBName:  IMG_2062.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  1.10 MBName:  IMG_2063.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  1.27 MB

Nice project Tom. I am sure I have a used coil around but any 6 volt coil will do. Let me check in the shop and get back to you. Looks like you have all the other parts there. The side covers could be a bit hard to find- I have them for the c100 but not c110 new. May have a used set but not white. I do have Blue from an s65 that may fit, I will check.

not sure about your part, did it fall out of the engine sidecover or from the inside of the cases? It looks like it may have broken off from a different part- that flat end looks rough in the photo- is that correct? I am thinking maybe clutch or shift mechanism if it dropped out of the right side- nothing like that on the left.

I see you got on the pushrod Honda group. Lots of very knowledgeable guys there.

Have Fun!

Go to CMSL and look at the c110 fich. Look at the clutch part. It looks like what you have is the bottom of part #18. It looks like it broke off at the bend.

Tom,

To me it looks like you have a coil on your bike, maybe you are missing just the spark plug lead.

I may have that part you need, but it is my NY shop and I am in Maine until the first week of Feb. Try Ohio Cycle, Western Hills Honda or David Silver Spares US for the clutch part if you need it sooner or to be sure to get it.

Hi Jack and thanks for the reply. I have a coil but wanted to replace it out of fear it will self destruct soon after starting the bike. I also have the spark plug wire but will replace that too.

You are right, that piece broke off the end of part 18. I found a NOS replacement on Ebay that I'll buy later today.

You picked a bad time of year to be stuck in Maine for a month. I grew up outside of Portland, Maine. The winters are brutal although I am sure your experience in New York is not much different.

Thanks for all the help and replies!
    Tom

Sponsored Links