New gs 750 build in South Georgia
Close

This is a discussion on New gs 750 build in South Georgia within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi there, I picked up a GS750E that someone else has messed up. I wanted something quick and cool looking for my first build. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New gs 750 build in South Georgia

Hi there,

I picked up a GS750E that someone else has messed up. I wanted something quick and cool looking for my first build. I am currently trying to find some of the missing OEM parts and looking for things to lose and upgrade along the way. I believe I have figured out the style and options I want and now need to source some of the parts that I cant find as of yet. To start with I am going to continue with the original brake setup and wheel combo. I am losing the original wiring as it will be minimal as far accessories. Just basic lights and turns. I will be running Speedo and Tach as I already have cables and they work. I wanted to try a find a new triple tree that would allow for tow gauges to bolt and looked better that what is original. I figured the rest of the platform and drive chain would suit my purposes as I am not going to be racing and the less I screw with it, the better. Name:  IMG_0500.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  1.05 MBName:  IMG_0499.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  1.04 MBName:  IMG_0495.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  1.13 MBName:  IMG_0492.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  1.05 MBName:  IMG_0501.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  912.2 KBName:  IMG_0502.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1,006.4 KBName:  IMG_0505.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  991.5 KBName:  IMG_0506.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  1,003.1 KB Since the pics, I have found and added the brake stuff , and am tracking down coils to get everything running and make sure it will all work together and clearance before blowing it apart and painting.

That's a sad looking GS.

You may be in over your head.

I'd recommend you get a second bike that runs and one you can ride and maintain/learn stuff on. That way you won't try to rush stuff on this when riding season comes
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

1979 GS750E did right

Above is my GS thread, has some answers to snags I hit:

Go to the GS Resources site for more.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Errmm you have some work to do there sir!! I hope it was free!

I would be more positive but there is too much missing to even begin a first build - the only advice you will get here is give it back and buy one running you will save money in the long run!!

Rear shocks look like a bumpy ride!!

Post a pic of a bike you would consider your "inspiration". Just curious. Drum roll please..........
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonblanton View Post
    ... I am losing the original wiring as it will be minimal as far accessories.....

You're in luck, that bike never came with accessories and all of the original wiring is minimal.

scary thought isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    You're in luck, that bike never came with accessories and all of the original wiring is minimal.

scary thought isn't it!
    I actually ADDED wires to my GS to make it more reliable (AKA the coil relay mod). But then again, there is that whole gear indicator thingy and fuel gauge that add about 7 unnecessary wires....LOL
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Thanks for the confidence boost...lol I have owned bikes and still ride them. I have had Shadow, VTX, Vulcan, CR250R, WR450F. I have loved them all and made money on them. I have the carbs and different rear shocks. I wont be using the gear indicator and bought a switch with "Start" position to cut down on wires needed on handle bars. Found a 4 circuit blade fuse block to run it all and can hopefully stick it all under the side covers. Ill find a picture of something similar but want it to be comfortable to me. Thanks for the input and I am listening to what you are saying. I know it is a big step and got it for $250... I just got coils today and going to attempt to get some fire. If i dont type back tomorrow, you can imagine that I can't feel my hand...lol Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonblanton View Post
    ... made money on them....
    If you've turned a profit by owning and riding motorcycles you're already way ahead of me.
    s10hornet likes this.

Looks like you need (another) parts bike to get this one going.

Make sure you check out whether you can get it titled / on the road before you spend another cent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links