Newbie from South Africa - Introducing myself - Page 2
Close

Newbie from South Africa - Introducing myself

This is a discussion on Newbie from South Africa - Introducing myself within the NEW MEMBERS READ HERE! forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Well, lets put this in perspective. an XJ650 had about 70 HP,,,,on a good day, and weighs about 450 lbs (205 kg), and that little ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Newbie from South Africa - Introducing myself

Well, lets put this in perspective. an XJ650 had about 70 HP,,,,on a good day, and weighs about 450 lbs (205 kg), and that little FZR has around 60 HP and weighs in at 350 lbs (160 kg)... (my super stock race bike FZR400 put 62 HP down to the rear wheel). 100 lbs lighter and only 10 HP less....and they handle like an absolute dream.

I can guarantee that if you buy something for 10000 R, you will be putting another 10000 R into it to et it where it is running and reliable.....and you still won't have anything near what that FZR is....
    TrialsRider likes this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Is that the Seca model or the custom cruiser looking thing?
    don't confuse displacement with performance, at 100 pound lighter, chain drive instead of shaft and everything else more modern that FZR400 would blow it away on a track.

So at 10,000 R (~730$ US) you are looking for a powerful ready to ride street bike :/ oh, oh. You need to find a widow who recently had her husband die and discovered a seldom used motorcycle when she was cleaning out her garage, and now she wants to sell it but has no idea what it's worth.

Ha! 8Ball beat me to it.

If you could shake off the "gotta be a Yamaha" you stand a much better chance of landing a good bike in your limited market. Just a thought.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, so 10,000 rand is about 720 USD. And the SA market is generally more expensive than the US so you're in the "beggars cant be choosers" market and what Stephen J said above is quite relevant.

As far as XJ's go, they are solid and reliable. The 750 was surprisingly quick on the road. It didn't have the peak HP figures of the other 750's at the time but was far more compliant as a streetbike.

The 750 Seca had Hitachi carbs which are finicky and difficult to find parts for now.

I know of a Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada, good condition. Only thing is, it's currently on the Isle Of Man, I'll ride it down for you if you like, free delivery.
    Cheers, Mark
    Struth! Stone the crows and starve the lizards.

From a quick search it does look like you need to A) Lower your expectations or B) Save more $$$. . . . . Keep your eyes open for that "deal" and be ready to move on it. To be honest a more modern bike for a few more $$ would be ideal. If ya just gotta ride now go for something smaller that you can saddle up right away and flip later without to much depreciation. Patience is the key, network with others that ride it may put you onto a deal before it goes on the market. Hope it all works out for you. I know very little about the area you live so what are the roads like there? Automatically I think Dual sport but that's just ignorance. For all I know you've got twists, sweepers and open ash-fault all over the place. Cheers

And so all my good intentions go out of the window ... came across a 1984 Yamaha XJ 750 in "running" condition (so not on the road) ... and i made an offer of R9000 (now wondering if i should've gone in lower) ... and the seller accepted ... so going to "collect" the bike tomorrow, provided it is in running condition, and depending on how it looks. When i chatted to the seller, there is a ding on the tank, and the front brakes aren't building pressure (i'm guessing master cylinder??) ... and if that is all that is wrong ... i might've got lucky ... but i'll wait and see.
    Should I have hit the jackpot, and that is all that is wrong ... i plan on servicing the bike.

I'll post pictures, should i get her.

Good luck ,thats only £500 or so! I recently bought a bike, front brakes not working but it had simply run out of fluid!

Dont know much about them .. but get it running and ride it.. then gradually make the changes you need.

Good pictures would be good. If you do buy it you better stick around, you're going to need our help. I don't think you can count on the seller to do you any favours.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome3 View Post
    And so all my good intentions go out of the window ... came across a 1984 Yamaha XJ 750 in "running" condition (so not on the road) ... and i made an offer of R9000 (now wondering if i should've gone in lower) ... and the seller accepted ... so going to "collect" the bike tomorrow, provided it is in running condition, and depending on how it looks. When i chatted to the seller, there is a ding on the tank, and the front brakes aren't building pressure (i'm guessing master cylinder??) ... and if that is all that is wrong ... i might've got lucky ... but i'll wait and see.
    Should I have hit the jackpot, and that is all that is wrong ... i plan on servicing the bike.

I'll post pictures, should i get her.
    Just a couple suggestions. Don't get bike fever when your looking at it. Take your time and keep the cash in your pocket a couple hundred shy of your offer. Point out EVERYTHING you can find and drop your offer. Let it run long enough to warm up, make sure it engages and shifts. Check for puddles underneath after it sits hot. Rubber is $ suspension is $ cables are $ it's all money. Worst that can happen is you pay what you offered in the first place. Oh and ask where the damage came from. If it's been laid down there can be allot more going on. If by chance it doesn't start, no "story" is good enough. Say you'll be back when it's running. The real wrenchers here would be able to give you a better check list.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links