Cafe Racer Forum banner

8Ball's winter project

76K views 157 replies 37 participants last post by  8ball 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new here, but have been working on and riding bikes for 30 years. My first street bike was a 73 CB500F that was mildly cafed, 24 years ago. Back then I didn't have the means or the facilities to really do it right. Since then I did a bit of road racing, built all of my race bikes and have been mostly in the sport bike scene. I've own a couple dozen bikes, but most of them were just "fix them, ride them and sell them" projects.

This week I picked up a winter project, and I intend to do a proper cafe project with it. I might be looking for some tips and suggestions, here.

Enough of the background....a few months ago, a friend of mine bought this 1979 GS550 with the intent of turning it into a budget cafe:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car

He started stripping it down and buying parts and doing several things to it, but ran out of time and space for it. Long story short (too late) I picked it up from him for $600, with all the parts:
Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Chopper

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Trunk Automotive exterior Car Wood Vehicle

The bike actually ran, but the carbs are pretty messed up. I have a set of 2mm larger KZ carbs that I plan to re-rack on the GS rack. (Yes I am capable of extensive carburetor work). Other parts that came in the pile:
-Clubman bars
-new Dyna ignition system (with coils)
-New N.O.S. Jardine exhaust, but the collector is for a KZ, so I may be doing some custom exhaust work
-KFY Chinese knock-off shocks (cheap I know, but I will see how they work)
-A dual cat-eye tail light assembly
-New Progressive fork springs (already installed)
-All Balls tapered steering stem bearings (I need to do some machining to finish the installation per the instructions)
-GSX-R master cylinder and clutch lever (with new clutch cable)
There is probably more, but tomorrow I have to catalog all the parts.

Things that my friend already did include drilling the front rotor, painting the forks, headlight, triple trees, and engine.

This is gonna be fun!

See less See more
#4 ·
quote:Originally posted by Captain_Trips

When you finish cataloging the parts, mind sending me a message with a list of any extras you're willing to sell? I've got a '78 GS400, and I think most of the stock parts are interchangable.
I'd be thinking the only things that will fit your bike off this one are the indicators.

#5 · (Edited)
Today was focused on the two highest priorities - exhaust and carbs

The stock carbs are in HORRIBLE shape, and the previous owner had a set of KZ650 carbs that he put in the parts pile.

GS550 stock carbs:
Auto part Engine Carburetor Automotive engine part Vehicle

KZ650 carbs:
Electronics Auto part Engine Font Scale model

The starter plungers (choke) were stuck in both sets of carbs:
Auto part

So I soaked them am got them cleaned up and freed:
Font Metal

I disassembled both sets and installed the KZ carbs on the GS rack:
Auto part Engine Carburetor Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part

I need to find one emulsion tube for the starter jet on the #1 carb 'cuz it was broken. The GS tubes are the same size, but the height of the cross drilled hoes are different, so I will see if I can find a junk carb for the part before trying the GS one. However it would only effect the operation while choked, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to use one from the GS carb.

And I need to get a gasket set.

Next was the exhaust. My friend said he thought that the collector/muffler that came with the Jardine system he bought were for a different bike. After I test fit the system I don't think that this is the case. It seems to be correct, except that the hanger bracket is welded in the wrong location:

Auto part Vehicle Engine Motor vehicle Tire

Metal Tire Bicycle part Auto part Steel

Spoke Bicycle part Vehicle Font Auto part

I will just cut it off and weld it in the right place.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Automotive tire

Auto part Vehicle

#6 ·
pipe looks good.
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see someone not tearing the whole thing apart as fast as possible like so many new guys seem to do.

You should read about those chinese shocks. They are considered junk. Someone fixed a pair (crazypj maybe) but it was a fair bit of work. Hagon or progressive are considered to be decent semi-budget choices.

#7 ·
Thanks kerosene. As far as tearing it apart, most of the bike was just loosely thrown together for transport. This thing will need to be completely disassembled before it is ready to go. The whole front end is just snugged together and a set of tapered bearings set in the stem, but some machining needs to be done to complete the install. That's just one example....

#8 · (Edited)
So, today I worked a bit more on the exhaust:

I cut off the mis-located bracket:
Auto part Tire Vehicle Pipe Exhaust system

Bumper Font Automotive exterior Auto part

Did some grinding:
Auto part Tire Vehicle Pipe Exhaust system

Muffler Auto part Pipe Exhaust system

A little Hi-temp paint, and it almost disappears:
Bicycle part Crankset Font Auto part Bicycle frame

A little more work, and it'll be barely visible.

I set it up in the correct position to be welded...
Bicycle part Tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

...I just have to see how the new welder I bought works. Practice welds start tomorrow...Gonna learn myself ta weld!! It's been a loooong time.

#9 · (Edited)
Just a little progress, today. I spent most of my time learning to use my new welder and doing practice welds. Then I had to put on my big boy pants, and actually weld the bracket on the exhaust!

Not perfect, but not HORRIBLE:
Auto part Bumper

A little paint... (still glossy 'cuz it's wet):
Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Rim

Exhaust issue solved!! I will re-install the system when I get some new header gaskets.

I also made the decision to buy a set of GS550 carbs rather than try to venture down the tuning nightmare that the KZ650 carbs would present. I will likely attempt that later, but not until I have a running workable bike and get all the other work done that I want to do.

#10 ·
Hobart makes an anti splatter aerosol spray that works good with the cheap welder that i have. spray it where you are gonna weld, and hardly any splatter sticks. also seems to make the weld lay down flatter and not build up so much. i like it.

Reactions: Stephen J
#12 ·
TheGreg -thanks for that tip. I will look into finding that.

o1marc - if anyone is in a position to see that spatter and critique it....their head will be in the perfect position for me to roll over it with the back tire.

Reactions: pwalo
#13 · (Edited)
Some more progress over the last couple of weeks:

The cam covers needed a little sumptin':
Auto part Metal

So in keeping with the satin black theme my friend started, I scuffed and painted them:
Auto part Bumper

Engine Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Carburetor

I also blasted the exhaust collars and used exhaust paint on them:
Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive engine part

While I was at it...remember the scar left from the original muffler bracket location?
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exhaust Pipe

I took care of that with more grinding, sanding and paint:
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive exhaust

The previous owner started to do a tapered bearing conversion on the steering stem, but it needed some machining done to complete the install, and he had pressed on the lower bearing....but hadn't put the lower seal on first! I had to remove the lower bearing, get a new one and had the machining done and the front end was re-assembled:
Auto part Vehicle Engine Bicycle part

As I mentioned before, I decided to get a new GS550 set of carbs from Ebay, and rebuilt them:
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Car

Auto part Machine Engine Metal

I used 85 mains (stock are 80) and #17 pilot jets (stock are 15). With the pods and the exhaust, I figured that would be a good starting point.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Carburetor

I might actually have it making some noise tomorrow!!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Scale model

...then, I can start really tearing it apart!

The pods, which the previous owner supplied in the parts pile got replaced with K&N filters for reasons I documented in the following thread:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/technical/19639-pod-filter-thread-geeto.html

#15 ·
FYI I doubt you have fusion with that weld, is that flux core if so it is not the best choice for thin wall materials "too much heat needed". You want to use .024/gas wire .030/gas can work but you have to be on it not to burn through and get a good weld. But seriously you want to be getting a lot more practice before welding anything that matters, find the limits and know how to reach them and stay clear with proper technique.

Miller site has a full resource section that you can learn a lot from also you can order a good welding training package with more information.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/mobile/mig_solid_amperage_calculator_iphone.php

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/mig/

#14 ·
FYI I doubt you have fusion with that weld, is that flux core if so it is not the best choice for thin wall materials "too much heat needed". You want to use .024/gas wire .030/gas can work but you have to be on it not to burn through and get a good weld. But seriously you want to be getting a lot more practice before welding anything that matters, find the limits and know how to reach them and stay clear with proper technique.

Miller site has a full resource section that you can learn a lot from also you can order a good welding training package with more information.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/mobile/mig_solid_amperage_calculator_iphone.php

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/mig/

#18 · (Edited)
Well I have some updates....

First of all, it is running, but the intake boot o-rings were leaking:
Yellow Auto part

I ordered some Viton seals, but got some Buna ones to install in the mean time. Wile I was at it, I changed to screws from the POS phillips, to socket head:
Auto part Engine

With the interim seals in, I was able to get the pilot circuit mostly dialed in...

Next, there was a nice little ding in the tank:
Auto part Wheel Font Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

With my little dent puller, I was able to get it to be a smaller ding:
Auto part Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle Headlamp Tire

I actually got it even smaller than this picture shows with a little more work.

I don't like the housing that the gauges were in, so I decided to take off their clothes and run them exposed........but that COLOR! It's gotta go!
Orange Product Tire Yellow Auto part

A little satin paint, and voila!
Product Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Tire

Finally, I need to locate the position for my rear sets. To do this, I used some 3/8" plywood to mock them up.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

The final shape of the brackets will not be anything like that. The shape will be determined by the hole locations, and minimized as much as possible.

I think this will be the position, but I am waiting for my rearsets to come in to make sure they will work. I am most concerned with them interfering with the kick starter, but the set that I got has folding pegs, and I think I can set up a quick release for the brake pedal linkage, so that it can easily swing out of the way if I need to use the kicker. But even that may not be necessary.....we will see.

I am also waiting for the steel brake line that I ordered for the front brake.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
So....I have been working on the rearsets, and I have the material to make the brackets, but I have to find someone with a plasma cutter or acetylene torch that can rough them out before I can continue on that, so in the meantime I piddled around with the rear of the bike.

Originally I intended to get a cafe style seat and tail, but in order to do that I would have to cut the frame or find one that was substantially long and UGLY. *I just haven't decided I wanted to make that commitment, yet (no turning back from that one). *So I tried to figure out what I wanted to do with the tail. This little gem was in the parts pile that came with the bike, but I HATED the look of it. *It is an integrated turn/tail/brake light, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work with any thing I did with the rear. *

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
Auto part Automotive lighting Carburetor

Then I thought, the stock tail on this bike isn't too bad, and the original parts aren't in too bad of shape.....so I thought I'd combine the two!

I gutted the stock tail light and cut the bracket of the cat eye apart:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
Auto part

I mounted the cat eyes on the interior bracket that held the old light socket:
Auto part Metal Brass

Then mounted the assembly back on the tail light assembly:
Automotive lighting Auto part Light Glasses Headlamp

Installed the original tail and fender with the new hybrid assembly (still ugly):
Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Tire Auto part

Then covered it up with the original lens!
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Fender Automotive tire

Wired it up, and Voila...Tail lights:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Headlamp Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

...Brake lights:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light Fender

Right turn:
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Light

Left Turn:
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire

I will need to get a flasher that will work with the LED's.

#23 ·
Turn signals aren't even required in TN....

#25 ·
Thanks.

#26 · (Edited)
I worked on wiring up the front turn signals, front brake switch and had to modify the headlight assembly because the new style H4 light lens that was installed was indexed 30 degrees off. (sorry, no pictures)

Next I borrowed a plasma cutter to cut out the brackets for the rearsets...

Here's the rough cut:
Antique tool Wood Metal

With some trimming:
Auto part Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Engine

Auto part Fuel line Tire Engine Automotive tire

Peg holes drilled, and rearsets installed:
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust

Auto part Tire Bumper Vehicle Machine

Now that the rearset location is set, I will need to trim the brackets more, and get the linkages laid out. Kris Richardson, from Old School Speed (where I got the rearsets) is gonna send me a shifter side lever that has the linkage arm pointing down. The shift shaft lever cannot be flipped because of a notch on the engine case, so with the rearset arm pointing up, I would need to fab something up on the original shifter linkage. With the one Kris is sending, all I need is a straight rod.

While I had the plasma cutter, I cut up the front fender, as well:
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Spoke Bicycle wheel

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Auto part Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.