Close

KZ400 Cafe (Noob, loves himself some advice)

This is a discussion on KZ400 Cafe (Noob, loves himself some advice) within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Really Appreciated, mind giving what I've researched a once over: Progressive Suspension: googled "kz400 progressive suspension fork springs" found: Progressive Suspension Fork Springs - 111115, ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Really Appreciated, mind giving what I've researched a once over:

Progressive Suspension:
    googled "kz400 progressive suspension fork springs"
    found: Progressive Suspension Fork Springs - 111115, Dennis Kirk.com #58325
    https://www.denniskirk.com/progressi....prd/58325.sku

Brake Deglaze Instructions:
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...tors-pads.html
    ** Mind letting me know which method you would recommend?

Master Cylinder Flush:
    http://bolty.net/2012/02/23/how-to-f...in-your-sv650/
    or
    http://www.examiner.com/article/an-i...he-brake-fluid

Not sure what would be required of a front brake caliper rebuild, mind elaborating?

How do these look for VF750 shocks?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350531225661...84.m1423.l2649
    or should I go with something more like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200850942372...84.m1423.l2649

Just repeating what has been said with a a bit more:

-that tank does not fit the style or function -sell it - don't dish in any tank please.
    -powder coat has become a synonym for quality work. Paint is often much better and more practical solution - search here.
    -polishing is nice but stuff like caliper actually serve a real function and that is far more crucial than nice look. Take it apart, clean and replace/rebuild what is needed.
    -stuff like rear sets, welding the frame etc. should be far ahead some styling choices in importance.
    -Are you sure shinkos are any good? you are about to spend a fair amount of money and time - buy quality tires - they are teh easiest "bolt on" improvements on a bike.
    -pod filters - don't do it. (search here) especially with vacuum carbs are apparently (near or fully) impossible to tune. Now you speak of some kind of home made airbox - that might solve it but if its is made (even partially) out of bondo it sounds like it was made for show not go and likely a bad idea.
    -Engines don't usually have standard things that need replacement no matter what. SO don't start tearing potentially well working engine just for the hell of it. Rebuilding the engine is usually cash wise not worth it (replacement is quickly cheaper). And there is no point to tear into an engine just because. That is why everyone tells you to get it running 1st.
    -same with ergonomics etc. Fix the obvious liek rebuilding forks etc. Put it together (with stock harness) and ride it.
    -then you can change things - move rear set position, creta new wiring harness etc. but you should avoid a situation where you have huge number of unknown factors / untested changes (potentially difficult to change - powdercoat is bad for this). Imagine trying to start the engine that you have torn apart, built new wiring for, non stock air filter and pipe and then it doesn't start. Who you gonna call? It is MUCH more sensible to get it running and working in stock form as well as possible and THEN change things. At least then you know that the basics are there where as in the altered scenario its very hard to chase down issues when the problem could be anywhere and most systems are unique to your bike.
    -drop the number plates. your photochop doesn't look like a race bike at all so number plates looks silly on it. They do look bit silly on most bikes but in this context they look equal to 4" exhaust tip on a 1.6 civic. You might think otherwise but remember the civic owner loves his exhaust tips too.
    -when it comes to exhaust - read about wrap. Its it not loved. And please don't put open stupid loud pipes.

good luck.

-

Just repeating what has been said with a a bit more:

-that tank does not fit the style or function -sell it - don't dish in any tank please.
    -powder coat has become a synonym for quality work. Paint is often much better and more practical solution - search here.
    -polishing is nice but stuff like caliper actually serve a real function and that is far more crucial than nice look. Take it apart, clean and replace/rebuild what is needed.
    -stuff like rear sets, welding the frame etc. should be far ahead some styling choices in importance.
    -Are you sure shinkos are any good? you are about to spend a fair amount of money and time - buy quality tires - they are teh easiest "bolt on" improvements on a bike.
    -pod filters - don't do it. (search here) especially with vacuum carbs are apparently (near or fully) impossible to tune. Now you speak of some kind of home made airbox - that might solve it but if its is made (even partially) out of bondo it sounds like it was made for show not go and likely a bad idea.
    -Engines don't usually have standard things that need replacement no matter what. SO don't start tearing potentially well working engine just for the hell of it. Rebuilding the engine is usually cash wise not worth it (replacement is quickly cheaper). And there is no point to tear into an engine just because. That is why everyone tells you to get it running 1st.
    -same with ergonomics etc. Fix the obvious liek rebuilding forks etc. Put it together (with stock harness) and ride it.
    -then you can change things - move rear set position, creta new wiring harness etc. but you should avoid a situation where you have huge number of unknown factors / untested changes (potentially difficult to change - powdercoat is bad for this). Imagine trying to start the engine that you have torn apart, built new wiring for, non stock air filter and pipe and then it doesn't start. Who you gonna call? It is MUCH more sensible to get it running and working in stock form as well as possible and THEN change things. At least then you know that the basics are there where as in the altered scenario its very hard to chase down issues when the problem could be anywhere and most systems are unique to your bike.
    -drop the number plates. your photochop doesn't look like a race bike at all so number plates looks silly on it. They do look bit silly on most bikes but in this context they look equal to 4" exhaust tip on a 1.6 civic. You might think otherwise but remember the civic owner loves his exhaust tips too.
    -when it comes to exhaust - read about wrap. Its it not loved. And please don't put open stupid loud pipes.

good luck.

-

oh yeah - is your back wheel laced wrong - if some spokes look that much longer than others (might be just the photo) tha pattern is probably wrong. Will you tighten and true the rims yourself or have a shop do it?

-

oh yeah - is your back wheel laced wrong - if some spokes look that much longer than others (might be just the photo) tha pattern is probably wrong. Will you tighten and true the rims yourself or have a shop do it?

-

quote:Originally posted by kerosene

they're both laced wrong, the inner and outer spokes on the same side always cross each other at the hub, each wheel there has them going away from each other

quote:Originally posted by kerosene

they're both laced wrong, the inner and outer spokes on the same side always cross each other at the hub, each wheel there has them going away from each other

If the engine doesn't run, one way to get an indication of what's wrong with an engine would be to do a compression test. If the numbers are down then you may have to replace valves, rings, or rebore the cylinder and get new pistons. That's a lot of options. And to find out where the issue is will take some pretty precise measurements and some exact tools that you aren't likely going to buy for one bike (read that as "but I could buy a new set of tires for how much that tool I am only going to use once!). If you aren't confident about it find someone who is. Since it sounds like you have two engines, begin work on the one that has the best results. If the compression test is good (enough) and the engine dosent fire then start looking at the electrical side of things. Polishing comes later.

I am also thinking about a number plate or something like it for the hump of my bike. Never going to race it. But I'm thinking about putting a QR code instead of a number. The Code would send the person to the photobucket where the build history is. I've got a LONG way before that decision will be needed.

Cool! ---RIP

If the engine doesn't run, one way to get an indication of what's wrong with an engine would be to do a compression test. If the numbers are down then you may have to replace valves, rings, or rebore the cylinder and get new pistons. That's a lot of options. And to find out where the issue is will take some pretty precise measurements and some exact tools that you aren't likely going to buy for one bike (read that as "but I could buy a new set of tires for how much that tool I am only going to use once!). If you aren't confident about it find someone who is. Since it sounds like you have two engines, begin work on the one that has the best results. If the compression test is good (enough) and the engine dosent fire then start looking at the electrical side of things. Polishing comes later.

I am also thinking about a number plate or something like it for the hump of my bike. Never going to race it. But I'm thinking about putting a QR code instead of a number. The Code would send the person to the photobucket where the build history is. I've got a LONG way before that decision will be needed.

Cool! ---RIP

sure leak down or compression test will help but getting it running will be far more helpful. There can be other issues that get revealed - like tranny noise or bad shifting, clutch issues etc. which all will help in making better decisions when considering engine work or finding replacement.
    -

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Links