Close

1977 CB550 Project

This is a discussion on 1977 CB550 Project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by bfont52 brakes: Do I need ss lines??? I see all this business about panic braking and higher potential of locking the front ...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1977 CB550 Project

Quote Originally Posted by bfont52 View Post
    brakes:
    Do I need ss lines??? I see all this business about panic braking and higher potential of locking the front wheel w/ ss lines. should i be weary?
    I know a thing or two about brake hoses

Locking up the front wheel isn't a result of going to stainless braided hoses. To be completely honest, you would have to be pretty sensitive to notice the difference from NEW rubber hoses versus stainless braided on this bike. The only dynamic difference would be in the amount the hoses swelled up from the pressure you generate with that master cyl (which isn't much at all).
    My rubber hoses would be a stark improvement over 40 year old hoses. My braided hoses would be even more of an improvement but truth is most people don't actually need them on these old street bikes. Race bikes, that's a different story.
    Stainless definitely look better. (esp my Gen II hoses)
    But if i find out you purchase another brand of hoses, i will track you down and make you try mine instead!
    http://www.slingshot-cycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post

Locking up the front wheel isn't a result of going to stainless braided hoses. To be completely honest, you would have to be pretty sensitive to notice the difference from NEW rubber hoses versus stainless braided on this bike. The only dynamic difference would be in the amount the hoses swelled up from the pressure you generate with that master cyl (which isn't much at all).
    My rubber hoses would be a stark improvement over 40 year old hoses. My braided hoses would be even more of an improvement but truth is most people don't actually need them on these old street bikes. Race bikes, that's a different story.
    But if i find out you purchase another brand of hoses, i will track you down and make you try mine instead!

Step ahead of you there! ran across your stuff on the sohc4 forums earlier in the week. will be placing an order in the next month or so. might have a few q's for you shortly before.

appreciate the help guys.....re front suspension, I will do some research. just started reading up on it this week and want to get grasp on the theory and all that business.

found a complete airbox on ebay the other day so snagged that and have a replacement carb on the way. hopefully will be able to hook 'em up to the bike sometime next week and get it started up so i can start diagnosing other stuff. really just want to get it running/riding nice.

you guys weren't lying about it being a money pit but, it's been fun figuring shit out so far. I'd much rather do it this way than going out and buying a new bike for 8k or whatever like my friend did who just started riding.

Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post

Still waiting your reply about my hose setup?
    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

finally got this thing started up yesterday. started up pretty quick. (see video). would be curious if anyone has any thoughts about this sound.

things i've done so far
    cleaned carbs and set float level.
    made tappet adjustments
    adjusted points gap.

still to do:
    adjust cam chain
    ignition timing
    compression check
    change oil filter, oil, and clean screen (PO put fresh oil right before he sold to me but going to swap again.)
    get new spark plugs

anything else I should look into?

also found a snapped bolt on the top engine cover. woohoo.

update: adjusted cam chain according to manual, bolt was even tight.

also, cylinder 3 is running cold/luke warm.

That means it isn't running. Spark?
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

has spark. also tried swapping spark plug w/ #4 and #3 still won't fire....plug from #3 did fire in #4 though. i need new plugs anyway but it's mardi gras here and i'm blocked by parades until later.

also peeked in through the spark plug hole. looks like a lot of carbon build up on top of piston head.

also swapped the wires between #3 and #4. still nothing on 3.

#4 seems to not be running either now though.

Quote Originally Posted by bfont52 View Post
    has spark. also tried swapping spark plug w/ #4 and #3 still won't fire....plug from #3 did fire in #4 though. i need new plugs anyway but it's mardi gras here and i'm blocked by parades until later.

also peeked in through the spark plug hole. looks like a lot of carbon build up on top of piston head.

also swapped the wires between #3 and #4. still nothing on 3.

#4 seems to not be running either now though.
    Swapping the wires for 3 and 4 will make neither 3 or 4 run, since the wasted spark is paired 1and 4, 2 and 3.

Put them back correctly.

If you have spark on 3 and it won't fire, you have a few things it could be: compression, valve clearances, carb. Compression can be low for a few reasons. Valve seats, worn rings, valve clearance, hole in piston.
    Do you have a timing light? Make sure it's actually sparking while installed with a timing light. If compression is good, valve clearances are good, and you're sure you have spark, then it's more than likely a carb issue.

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

figured i shoulda swapped 2 & 3 instead. was being lazy though...just tried wire from #3 in #2. works fine. couldn't get #2 wire to reach #3. #4 is not firing period now either. do you think the sound in video is related to all of this or something else.

no timing light or compression gauge yet. on the list of things i need.

appreciate the help.

Replace plugs (all of them) and try again.
    Get a cheap timing light, borrow a compression tester, and find out if those are happening correctly.

If so,

carb.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links