Close

1977 CB550 Project

This is a discussion on 1977 CB550 Project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; and so the saga continues.... no one around here seems to have ngk's that are on my bike so I'm still using the old ones ...

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1977 CB550 Project

and so the saga continues....

no one around here seems to have ngk's that are on my bike so I'm still using the old ones b/c all the alternatives I found don't have the 18mm nut so I can't use the honda spark plug socket i have.

picked up the compression tester. results seem inconsistent though.....ran it yesterday on bike while cold and result was 120/150/90/100 i think?? i can't remember....put a lil oil in each after and they all jumped up about 20psi...then after some more reading on sohc4 forum realized i probably should have measured and put exact amount in each one. anyways, today i started the bike again and now #3 is only one not firing. ran it a few minutes, did another compression test. results today are 110/100/90/110. so more even but still low. also, today, the bike is burning a bit of oil.

other things, looks like there's a little bit of oil leaking from #3 near the exhaust header. while i was kicking during compression test, heard a clicking noise that sounded similar to what's going on in the video though only a few times. wasn't doing it the whole time.

am i gonna have to open this thing up?

Quote Originally Posted by bfont52 View Post
    so I can't use the honda spark plug socket i have.
    OMG son. Get some tools! Even cheap ones are better than nothing. Buy Toolworks 125 pc Mechanics Tool Set TW220 at Advance Auto Parts
    http://www.slingshot-cycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

i know i know. i've got a kit just doesn't have the spark plug sockets.

just realized you are in new orleans. Is clancy's cycle still open on the westbank (in Harvey on destrehan ave I think) ? If so you need to go there weekly. That man will a) have all the parts you need or know where to get them, b) will be pretty good about giving you knoweldge.
    Cliff Robertson: The "420" has a fuel injection system taken from crashed flying saucer parts, it is also the 1st mid-sized sedan with disc brakes designed by Nostradamus. The "Lux 420" is also the safest car on the road...

(CUT TO A SHOT OF JESUS, ABE LINCOLN, AND "DR. ZAIUS"--"PLANET OF THE APES" FAME--ANALYZING THE CAR. JESUS IS SEEN SLAMMING THE DOOR WILDLY.)

word. thanks Geeto67...i know there's a shop on the westbank. not sure if it's clancy's though. there's a place around the corner called FXmotorsports from my house everyone tells me is good as well just haven't been in yet to check it out.

just ran the bike again....looks like #3 is firing now. hot to the touch but not as hot as the others. noise is still there sounds like it's maybe coming from#3. still burning oil.

actually there like 3 or 4 shops on the west bank, but Clancy's is the only one I would consider when dealing with an old honda. More a salvage yard than a real shop, and tons of SOHC honda stuff. I bought many a bike from clancy and he is good people. Still have his number in my phone as 341 6100. He used to have acres of bikes but the parish made him clean it up outside, but he still has 3 warehouse buildings full. A better old bike resource in NO you aren't gonna find.

Also go talk to max over at the transportation revolution (aka the triumph dealer). Ask him about old bike connections in NO, he might know someone to ask. If this was the old days I would send you to Alan Maiver but his shop has been closed for near 10 years now.
    Cliff Robertson: The "420" has a fuel injection system taken from crashed flying saucer parts, it is also the 1st mid-sized sedan with disc brakes designed by Nostradamus. The "Lux 420" is also the safest car on the road...

(CUT TO A SHOT OF JESUS, ABE LINCOLN, AND "DR. ZAIUS"--"PLANET OF THE APES" FAME--ANALYZING THE CAR. JESUS IS SEEN SLAMMING THE DOOR WILDLY.)

Thats pretty low compression across the board, but 3 is really low.

Were I you, I would probably do a top end rebuild. Sounds like It was rode hard.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Compression numbers aint too bad............................................whe n you forget to open throttle
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    Compression numbers aint too bad............................................whe n you forget to open throttle
    if only that were the case here.......guess im gonna pull this thing out and get myself into more trouble.

small update. got the head disassembled. would be curious if anyone thinks anything looks excessively worn.

pistons are secure in the cylinders. no movement side to side. cylinder walls feel smooth. fingernail doesn't catch on any grooves. everything seems to be lubricated.

valves for #3 seem to be wet or have some light sheen on them of some sort. also inside the intake port was wet while all the others were dry. wondering if there's not a leak there.

---someone cut holes in the head cover?????

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Links