Close

Ducati 750ss cafe racer.

This is a discussion on Ducati 750ss cafe racer. within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; First of all I'm new to the forum so hello all. I have been building a Ducati cafe racer based on the Union Ducati 900ss ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ducati 750ss cafe racer.

First of all I'm new to the forum so hello all.
    I have been building a Ducati cafe racer based on the Union Ducati 900ss high pipe. I was looking for a build and found the pictures of Unions bike on the internet and decided to go have a go at making my own version. The bike I used was a 750ss as the price for a 900ss was around 2,000, the bike I bought for the build was 1,000 expensive enough in case I got it wrong.
    The rear sub frame has been cut off, a new one made with an offset built in to increase the seat height. The battery was moved forward in front of the carbs, new collection box made for the breather hoses from the engine and carbs, new rear sets, front sub frame for the fairing and clocks and a new seat unit made from fibreglass. The tank was from a 750 sport bought from Australia.
    The engine will be cleaned up and painted where necessary along with the wheels, frame, brackets, sub frames etc will be powder coated black.
    The bike has been run on the road for a few months to make sure all the mods worked as they should and that no other brackets were needed before the final paint work was done.
    The bike has now been dismantled to paint it, graphite grey with two black strips down the middle on the fairing, tank and seat unit with rest of it powder coated black.
    Anyhow here are a few pictures of it, any suggestions on the colour scheme would be considered.

Name:  DSC02930.jpg
Views: 30954
Size:  96.7 KBName:  DSC02933.jpg
Views: 14516
Size:  95.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    ......any suggestions on the colour scheme would be considered......
    Nice work.

I'd go this route....

Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    The bike has been run on the road for a few months to make sure all the mods worked as they should and that no other brackets were needed before the final paint work was done.
    This is one of the smartest thing I have seen someone post in their build thread is a while. Too many noobs forget this is the way it should be done.

The bike has now been dismantled to paint it, graphite grey with two black strips down the middle on the fairing, tank and seat unit........ any suggestions on the colour scheme would be considered

Sound god awful and boring. Honestly the world needs another muted color bike like I need an asshole where my elbow is. It isn't even a good muted color like oxblood, British racing green, or navy blue. Graphite gray? Yawn. Only thing I can think of that would be more boring is ujm silver, it's the new refrigerator white. Aside from the "dark" series of bikes (which when the came out in the mid1990s were really different and are now the saddest cliche I can think of), Ducati has never been shy. Their race bikes have always been vibrant colors: blood red, metallic coppers, metallic sea foam green, orange yellows, even the goddamn italian flag. Graphite gray would be an insult, it's like you aren't even trying. it is like you are putting Sofia Vegara in a snuggie. I would say paint it road cone orange but that is too laverda, and the sport 750 yellow would get it branded as a sport classic wannabe. Whites been done and black would only work if you were willing to do mustard yellow and white pin striping everywhere (which I am guessing you aren't). I say go for the gusto - heavy metalflake medium blue. It has nothing to do with Ducati but it just was one of those 70's colors that is unmistakeable and was wildly popular.
    Frankie, the Big Kahuna: What does that mean, "we're not in?"
    Annette: Wild guess? I think it means they're not in.
    Bobby: Boy, it's quite a piece of dialogue when you intellectual masterminds get together! I should be writing this down!

Frankie, the Big Kahuna: But what does "we" mean?
    Bobby: [impossibly sarcastic] I think it's the plural form, meaning "more than one." Would you like me to conjugate that for you, Pop? Do you know what "conjugate" means, Dad?

Very nice job and well thought through...can't wait to see it painted.
    Rassie,

2013 Kawa 300 Ninja
    2006 SV650S Track Bike
    1972 CB350 Bexton Cafe Racer
    1970 CL90 Bexton Cafe Racer
    2008 Kawa Ninja 250R
    2003 Ducati Ninester
    1976 Suzuki GT750 Project

www.mybikeproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    it is like you are putting Sofia Vegara in a snuggie.
    I would still take Miss Vegara with a snuggie.

Paint the thing bright flake pink. Fuck the world.
    You don't even know how to stunt/coffee/chopper/moisturize bro.

[QUOTE=Nine;253286] any suggestions on the colour scheme would be considered.

Joined this site because of this post. Outstanding job sir, i fell in love with the Union Motorcycle 900ss, i noticed you didn't follow suit with the height of the fairing is that because it's too impractical?
    As for colour schemes damn you got your work cut out there, you mentioned metallic grey and black which reminded me of the 916 senna except i think matte black suits the 3 spoke wheels though the frame would suit red or the gold colour as on the forks. Or you could find inspiration from major brands like Rothmans for example and pick 2 or three colours 3rd colour could be used as simple pinstriping either way give us a shout if you want if you have an idea and i will crudely slap combo's on a photoshop of your bike!

I love it. That tank is inspiring as my VF700S has a similar line on the top of the frame. I like the look. I'm with you on the graphite gray! An asshole in the elbow might actually be handy at times! lol

Finally got back round to say thanks for the nice comments.
    The bike is now in bits again, the frame and sub frame etc are now boxed up to be sent off for power coating.
    The engine has to be cleaned up, i'm going to try and clean it by blasting it with baking soda, if that fails then the pressure washer might be used. I really don't want to break the engine down to clean it but there is quite a lot of alumiunium oxide on the barrels and cylinder head.
    On the colour the bike is going to be painted its going to be F**k knows what, i might be good with metal but paint and colours I'm hopeless.
    if you are interested then here are a few more pics of the bike broken down.
    cheers.
    Name:  DSC02980.jpg
Views: 3421
Size:  95.2 KBName:  DSC02978.jpg
Views: 3664
Size:  94.2 KBName:  DSC02982.jpg
Views: 3583
Size:  95.4 KBName:  DSC02989.jpg
Views: 3477
Size:  93.7 KBName:  DSC02990.jpg
Views: 4299
Size:  93.6 KB

That is some great work on the seat/subframe. I crashed my 900ss at the track and went the same route to replace the front fairing, but kept the stock seat. Here's what solid red looks like for reference...wanted to do a "tricolore" with some green and white but sold the bike.

Last edited by tsflstb; 03-24-2013 at 11:38 PM.

bravo! Those bikes look amazing! someone should try a sport 1000 fairing on them for a fit....will end up looking like a paul smart.
    1977 Suzuki Gs550 AND parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 193 Honda dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s, 2003 Buell Firebolt BX9R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links