Close

Suzuki GS400

This is a discussion on Suzuki GS400 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, I bought a rather tired looking 1977 GS400 and put in some work (with some help of course since my know how does ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suzuki GS400

Suzuki GS400

Hey guys, I bought a rather tired looking 1977 GS400 and put in some work (with some help of course since my know how does not cover all matters as far as motorcycles are concerned) so I thought I would post the progress here. I bought the suzuki from a village in Cyprus from the original owner and it was in need of restoration. (There was even a dead mouse in the air vents under the seat). We decided to go the cafe racer way since I was always fascinated with these type of bikes. I need to mention that we wanted to leave everything stock, except of course the customizations needed to transform it into a cafe racer.

I am really not into bolt on kits since I consider them to be against the whole spirit of actually working with stuff you have (the original cafe racers were not really spoiled rich kids). Here is the progress. Comments welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

rearsets, rear fender, and what class do you race in?
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreg View Post
    rearsets, rear fender, and what class do you race in?
    Not sure what you mean mate. The GS400 does notbhave a rear fender in the strict sense of the word. Rather it has an internal fender right under the rear factory plastics which have been removed because of the shorter frame. I guess i could fabricate something.

Also factory rearsets are good enough so that it does not affect my stance. The motorcycle is for the occasional ride, not for racing, hence no performance enhancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantinos View Post
    I am really not into bolt on kits since I consider them to be against the whole spirit of actually working with stuff you have (the original cafe racers were not really spoiled rich kids). Here is the progress. Comments welcomed.
    spoken like someone who has no idea what he is talking about.

good on you though for taking it that far apart and managing to get it back together in one piece. Too bad you didn't make any improvements.
    Cliff Robertson: The "420" has a fuel injection system taken from crashed flying saucer parts, it is also the 1st mid-sized sedan with disc brakes designed by Nostradamus. The "Lux 420" is also the safest car on the road...

(CUT TO A SHOT OF JESUS, ABE LINCOLN, AND "DR. ZAIUS"--"PLANET OF THE APES" FAME--ANALYZING THE CAR. JESUS IS SEEN SLAMMING THE DOOR WILDLY.)

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    spoken like someone who has no idea what he is talking about.

good on you though for taking it that far apart and managing to get it back together in one piece. Too bad you didn't make any improvements.
    You know, there are forums that really make a new member feel welcomed and some that people rush to judge without knowing all of the facts. If you need to know, in Cyprus you can register a vintage vehicle if it has not been severely modified. As such the motorcycle has been kept stock apart from the shortened frame. Any more mods would cause it to fail the inspection. Plus, i never realized that the original rockers would bolt on ready made pan seats or chrome petrol tanks. Rather they fabrigated them on their own. Yes bolting on performance parts did help them go faster but this is not an option in my case. What i am trying to say is that everything you see on the bike has been fabrigated instead of going the bolt on way. Thanks for your comment though.
    choppedcafe likes this.

Factory rearsets?
    I surprises me how many noobs come here and don't bother reading any posts before jumping in the deep end. It doesn't take long to get the gist of the attitude here. As Geeto put it , this ain't the place to come to get a pat on the back unless you really have your shit together and know what you are talking about.
    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

so hacking up the frame isnt considered a severe modification in cyprus?

i mean, i like how youve started this bike. the motor looks really clean, and if it runs as well as it looks than you are already head and shoulders above 80% of the people that come here, show pics of their rusty POS that they picked up off of craigslist for $1900 because all it needs is a battery and tires, proceed to take it all apart to "build it their way", lose parts/motivation, run out of money, and after 9 posts telling us we dont know what we are talking about and how they have years of mechanic experience on pre-70's volvos and aircooled veedubs so this wont be a problem, they disaperate.

saying it is just going to be a weekend around the block bike is the lamest excuse there is for not finishing a bike.

rear fenders, or inner fenders at least, will prevent dirt, mud, road apples, and the like, from being thrown up onto your good looking motor. rearsets will make your bike more comfortable with your clipons. dont care how comfortable it is now, but it will make it more so, unless you are verne troyer. comfort means less fatigue, less fatigue means more concentration on the road and oncoming traffic instead of your aching wrists, hips, and lower back, which means a safer ride. number plates when you dont race just screams to people that know what they are looking at "HEY! i got lazy right in here and wanted to cover up my airboxes, and this is all i could come up with in 7 minutes."

you have a good start. i wish my stuff at that point in their builds look as good, but thats what it is, a good start.

and dont say comments welcome if you arent prepared for good AND bad comments. its the nature of the beast.
    ask me about my ADD or pie or my cat. a dog. i have a bike. Do you like TV? i saw a rock. hi.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Factory rearsets?
    I surprises me how many noobs come here and don't bother reading any posts before jumping in the deep end. It doesn't take long to get the gist of the attitude here. As Geeto put it , this ain't the place to come to get a pat on the back unless you really have your shit together and know what you are talking about.
    I am not looking for a pat on the back friend. Far from it. You saw the build now tear it apart. I do truly welcome all comments but a noob on the forum does not make me a noob as far as working on bikes. So don't go playing the smart ass cause i don't give a shite.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreg View Post
    so hacking up the frame isnt considered a severe modification in cyprus?

i mean, i like how youve started this bike. the motor looks really clean, and if it runs as well as it looks than you are already head and shoulders above 80% of the people that come here, show pics of their rusty POS that they picked up off of craigslist for $1900 because all it needs is a battery and tires, proceed to take it all apart to "build it their way", lose parts/motivation, run out of money, and after 9 posts telling us we dont know what we are talking about and how they have years of mechanic experience on pre-70's volvos and aircooled veedubs so this wont be a problem, they disaperate.

saying it is just going to be a weekend around the block bike is the lamest excuse there is for not finishing a bike.

rear fenders, or inner fenders at least, will prevent dirt, mud, road apples, and the like, from being thrown up onto your good looking motor. rearsets will make your bike more comfortable with your clipons. dont care how comfortable it is now, but it will make it more so, unless you are verne troyer. comfort means less fatigue, less fatigue means more concentration on the road and oncoming traffic instead of your aching wrists, hips, and lower back, which means a safer ride. number plates when you dont race just screams to people that know what they are looking at "HEY! i got lazy right in here and wanted to cover up my airboxes, and this is all i could come up with in 7 minutes."

you have a good start. i wish my stuff at that point in their builds look as good, but thats what it is, a good start.

and dont say comments welcome if you arent prepared for good AND bad comments. its the nature of the beast.
    Now yes...that's constructive criticism...i will give rearsets a thought. For the rear fender, i will have to fab something up as there are no rear fenders for this bike. But hey, no mud or rain in Cyprus, so i may be safe in that aspect. And the bike is far from over....i promise.

I was referring to this comment:
    "and some that people rush to judge without knowing all of the facts." We know all the facts presented to us. You ask for comments and then make a statement like that after the first one that replies with something negative.
    This statement makes no sense either " I need to mention that we wanted to leave everything stock, except of course the customizations needed to transform it into a cafe racer. " You want to keep it all stock except everything you want to change, WTF. Cafe racers are more than just a cosmetic improvement, so where do you stop modifying past stock? a little fairing, clubmans and a seat section does not make it a cafe racer.
    Now you want me to tear it apart, Ok. The number plate deal is for pussy wanna be racers. Header wrap is fucking stupid on anything other than a full tilt race machine. It makes a little more horsepower by keeping the heat inside the pipe but it is only useful if you are using 100% of the available horsepower that you have, which you won't be in Cypress or anywhere else unless you're racing. It also makes pipes brittle and eventually fail/crack. Which is okay if we are on a race budget rebuilding after every couple of races. Other than that you are off to a good start as others have mentioned. If you were here more than 5 minutes you would have realized most of are smart asses, especially the one you were referring to but it's better than being a dumb ass.
    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links