Close

DR650 Cafe conversion

This is a discussion on DR650 Cafe conversion within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I dunno - Roland sands proved the frame design on most dual sports was good enough for single powered road racing. Sure it took actually ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DR650 Cafe conversion

I dunno - Roland sands proved the frame design on most dual sports was good enough for single powered road racing. Sure it took actually thinking about frame geometry and figuring out what parts would yeild that, and maybe some of the high end CNC stuff was necessary and some was just bling. But I don't think it is off the mark to try - but you have to do actual homework and think about the project. Like I said - pancake dropping a DR650 isn't going to make it a racer (esp if you left the knobbies? WTF) and putting an ugly seat on it and a set of clubman bars doesn't make it cool. You want cool? show some initaive and creative thinking.

Personally I would have looked at a supermoto setup on a DR650 and gone from there. See what wheels guys are using, what brakes, etc... Right off the bat I am seeing 17" 3.5 front rims with a 120 tire and 17"x 4.25" rears with a 150 for the wheel and tire setup. I am also seeing everything from R6 forks to aftermarket USD forks to try and get rid of the leading axle. The SV650 stock shock is under sprung and under dampened - putting it on a lighter bike isn't going to make it better. I have heard of guys using a zx10 rear shock (8mm longer plus piggyback, compression, preload, and rebound adjustable) but those are on 2nd gen sv650s.
    Cliff Robertson: The "420" has a fuel injection system taken from crashed flying saucer parts, it is also the 1st mid-sized sedan with disc brakes designed by Nostradamus. The "Lux 420" is also the safest car on the road...

(CUT TO A SHOT OF JESUS, ABE LINCOLN, AND "DR. ZAIUS"--"PLANET OF THE APES" FAME--ANALYZING THE CAR. JESUS IS SEEN SLAMMING THE DOOR WILDLY.)

oh, and that ATC tank is ugly as a hat full of assholes. throw it away.
    Cliff Robertson: The "420" has a fuel injection system taken from crashed flying saucer parts, it is also the 1st mid-sized sedan with disc brakes designed by Nostradamus. The "Lux 420" is also the safest car on the road...

(CUT TO A SHOT OF JESUS, ABE LINCOLN, AND "DR. ZAIUS"--"PLANET OF THE APES" FAME--ANALYZING THE CAR. JESUS IS SEEN SLAMMING THE DOOR WILDLY.)

For the rear shock look at a GSXR750 shock, I ran one on my 1st Gen SV650S many years ago and although I don't remember a lot about it now I know it was an improvement over the stocker.

Cheers
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links