Cafe Racer Forum banner

Suzuki AX100 - Cafe Racer

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  expat2000 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I'm starting a Cafe Racer build with my older brother using a 2013 Suzuki AX 100, 2 stroke. It has about 5000-6000 miles.
As stated in the "New users" section, here is my build. I'd like to apologize in advance for the low quality pictures, it was raining and only had my phone. I promise quality pictures next time, haha.

Here's the bike stock:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Here i'm test fitting the headlight i'll be placing.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Vehicle

Here i'm facing my first problem. If you look closely, coming down from the instrument cluster, there's the speedometer cable which cannot be bent. The original headlight has a groove so that the cable can go through. The headlight i'm installing does not have one. What do you guys suggest, to loose the instrument cluster? To remove the cable, drill two holes in the headlight body and let the cable go through the holes? I'd appreciate any input.
Auto part Vehicle Tripod

Here i inverted the handlebar, took me a while. And presented the light as it would be placed. What do you think? In my opinion the handlebars are a few inches big, don't you think? Still have to buy a headlight glass, i have the reflector, but it is not installed.
Cameras & optics Camera Photography Auto part Finger

Some of my future mods that come to mind are: Fiberglass tape for the exhaust, loose some plastic stuff, see what i can i do with the battery, install a cone filter to replace the ugly huge stock one, paint the tank and seat (we still haven't decided on the colors), maybe replace the tires for wider ones, build a cafe racer seat from steel like this one:
http://houseonfireindustries.files....-cafe-racer-seat-sno4fb-00001.jpg?w=590&h=392

Again i'm sorry for the crappy pictures and i just realized some are sideways, i do not know how to fix that.
Any suggestions are welcome. I realize most of these mods are purely for aesthetics and the forum focuses more on performance mods. Either way i hope you guys can help me. Tell me what do you think!
Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My brother had one of these in the late 1980`s. Performance Bikes Mag tuned one up with a `how-to` guide over a few issues and put on race fairings making it look pretty good too. Or at least I remember it did. They raffled it off to the readers when it was finished.

Anyhow, I copied what they did, apart from the fairings and it flew!

#4 ·
Copy this from 1986........

View attachment 10326
Wow this bike is Teh sex.

Hey Tomi, turn your bars back right side up. If you aren't going to spend for real race parts you might as well not hurt yourself with an improper bend. Turning the bars upside down doesn't make it a cafe racer, but it does let the world know you don't know what you are doing.

#7 ·
clipons, dragbars, superbike bars, even the stock bar is actually pretty useful as it is in the upright config.

if you look at most bars, they are angled a certain way so that your wrists should be straight and not cocked at a weird angle when you are holding the bar. the angle might be very slight pullback plus a slight downward tilt When you flip the bars upside down you still might have the pullback but the downward tilt is now an upward one. Not every bar is the same so it is best to evaluate, esp when even a slight change can lead to a repetitive stress injury over time.

#8 ·
Turn the bars up the right way. They don't work properly, and they look extremely stupid to anyone who really knows about café racers or race bikes. If you think they work properly, you don't know much yet. Just because hipster idiots get their bikes on the internet with flipped bars, does not make it right.

Forget clip-ons on a slow bike. They are pointless and painful, for zero gain.

If you can't get some quality narrow clubman bars like www airtech - streamlining ones, forget the idea.

Danger, is my business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.