Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 gs450 cafe racer build

15K views 56 replies 11 participants last post by  hillsy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

New to the forum! I started this build thread on another site but they didn't seem too happy about me ripping apart one of their beloved GS bikes, so this seemed like the proper place for a cafe build!

I bought a 81 gs450L a few months ago and have decided to rip it apart and turn it into a cafe racer. I'm already a good month into the build and will have pictures from it uploaded soon! Hope you all enjoy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Starting to shape out and cut a seat with styrofoam.

Seat is shaped.

Covering the mold in aluminum foil before I touch it with fiber glass. (this is the second take, first seat died because the fiber glass melted right through the mold!)

Hitting the seat with a layer of fiber glass

To be continued....

#3 · (Edited)
Process of making the bars.

I used some emt that I found which measured out to 35mm inner diameter almost perfectly

I used roll pins for the bolt lobes

I slotted the emt before I welded the roll pins onto it. Note: The EMT was cut on the weld seam.

I used 1/2 rigid emt for the bar itself. I left them at 12" long. Hit it with the bench grinder to get the grooves and 9 degree drop.

Welded everything together

Cleaned up the welds with some brass braze

I have been riding the bars for a month know and they are extremely stiff and have held together fairly well.

#9 ·
so you've done clip-ons and reduced the capacity of your fuel tank...

what have you done to make the bike better? suspension mods? rear-sets? basic services?

#10 ·
The clip ons helped a ton with steering, and brought a lot more weight to the front of the bike. The tank that I bought was actually a gallon more than what was originally on the bike. I'll be posting pictures of the rearsets a bit later.

I am still fairly early on this build as I only get to mess with it on the weekends, but there will be plenty of performance upgrades in due time!

#11 ·
It's one thing for you to make some clip-ons for your own use, and risk your own life. Quite another to post them up on a forum for others, possibly total lame brains, to copy.

Personally, I'd advise you to throw them in a creek. Covering up bad welds using bronze rod is a very bad affirmation of your skills.

Have a think.

Danger, is my business."

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
Literally know nothing about it.
Other then it is crazy cool, and a neat picture.

I am still on a drag race kick.
Think I am going to do some bracket racing with my CB1100F

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
#25 ·
Sorry all I havent been updating much lately!

I got to taking apart the carbs tonight. Only problem I am having is this one plastic bushing that I can't seem to get off. I tried taking off the throttle plate but to no avail it still wont come off. Anybody have any idea how I can get this thing off?

#36 ·
Started chopping up the frame this week. Going to complete remove the motor this weekend and start taking it apart for the machine shop :D . I also got my carb gaskets in the mail so those are going to get rebuilt this weekend!

Also after putting the tank and seat on the frame to get an idea of how things are going to look I've decided I'm going to go the mono shock route and lucky enough I have one laying around!

#43 ·
Started chopping up the frame this week. ...
Also after putting the tank and seat on the frame to get an idea of how things are going to look I've decided I'm going to go the mono shock route and lucky enough I have one laying around!
wait …. I'm confused ?:I there is a mono shock route ?

and you have one what laying around, one big fat shock with nothing to compress it, or an entire mono shock equipped motorcycle frame and swingarm?

#38 ·
How are you going to install a monoshock? That bikes frame, swingarm, etc is not designed for a monoshock. Unless you feel you know better than a Suzuki engineer who designed it..........I would fix the rear frame and install a nice set of shocks. YSS is my preference . It won't kill your budget and perform quite well.....from "on ride" experience. Don't make the bike dangerous. ........for your sake.

#41 ·
Wiltwurst is 99% full of shit but converting a twin shock bike to monoshock is not for the inexperienced.

If you really want to go there get a GS500 complete rear end and slot it in. Then all you have to worry about is the top shock mount. Don't expect it to handle any better though......

But really, you should keep the twin shock simply because it looks more period correct for a cafe racer.

#44 ·
You can get some useful tips and tricks for your GS450 build here:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/project-builds/8075-hillsy-s-gs450-build.html
I'm quite flattered that you keep on linking to my old build thread, but you really need to start your own sometime.

Actually, to the OP, I considered using an FZR250 swinger (because I already had it) but ended up using the GS one because of the twin shock.

Here's a pic:

Surprisingly, that swingarm slotted straight in (the pivot width was identical).

Anyway, like I said earlier a GS500 rear end will slot straight in and all you need to worry about is the top shock mount.

#46 ·
Couldn't say about GSXR stuff other than if you're talking about a complete rear end the wheel / chain line is going to be too wide. You really have to get the tape measure out and see.

I'd also imagine a GSXR swingarm would have a larger diameter pivot bolt so that's another headache.

Pretty sure the GS500 is a straight bolt in (apart from working out an upper shock mount). Best thing about that is the bike is about the same weight (so the shock will be sprung correctly) and the chain line should be good.

#48 · (Edited)
Been off and on with this project a bit lately as I've started a new job and have had trouble finding the time to get out to it.

The carbs got dipped, new O-rings, and bowl gasket came in, so I boiled the carbs after the dip to get all of the crap out of them and then started to polish the bodies.

Sanded down and painted some of the rusty parts and replaces the piece of angle iron joining the two carbs together with a piece of aluminum. Also went up a size in the jets and synched them up on the bench. Found out that the clips on the needles had come off on both carbs so I got those put back together as well.

Next step is getting the head off and porting and polishing that sucker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.