1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike... - Page 2
Close

1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike...

This is a discussion on 1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike... within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just an fyi i bought this bike for 200 dollars as is and i've spent around 100 so far on getting it to run and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike...

Just an fyi i bought this bike for 200 dollars as is and i've spent around 100 so far on getting it to run and the lights to work. I did not take anything off this bike i've just not spent any money on the bike other than to make it run and work. I plan on working the suspension next and yes it will get a fork brace put on, then I plan on a seat and velocity stacks since i don't ride it in bad weather and I've also found spec II performance pipes i want here is a pic.Name:  GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  12.6 KB
    thanks for all the info. on this bike and thanks for your time repying...

Even in nice weather, stacks with no filtration will be hard on your motor. Consider a filter sock from uni or something similar. Other things you can do besides stacks with a two stroke to get performance.

Quote Originally Posted by shmave20 View Post
    Just an fyi i bought this bike for 200 dollars as is and i've spent around 100 so far on getting it to run and the lights to work. I did not take anything off this bike i've just not spent any money on the bike other than to make it run and work. I plan on working the suspension next and yes it will get a fork brace put on, then I plan on a seat and velocity stacks since i don't ride it in bad weather and I've also found spec II performance pipes i want here is a pic.Name:  GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  12.6 KB
    thanks for all the info. on this bike and thanks for your time repying...
    Sounds like you got a great deal! Is Spec II making these pipes for you? As far as I know they only make RD 350/400 pipes. Agree with Joep7 on the Uni filters - you don't want to suck any grit into the engine. Also keep in mind the stock carbs on a T500 are supported at both ends by the rubber intake manifolds and the airbox respectively. Without the airbox, you may want to consider making some thin metal strap supports for the backs of the carbs to keep them from waggling around and making your intake manifolds crack and leak air.

The T500 has a pretty feeble electrical system and the headlight bulb is only a 25/35 watt unit. You really can't run a larger watt bulb without draining the battery as you ride. If you plan on riding at nighttime at all, you will need to upgrade.

You could get a new electronic ignition/charging system from Powerdymo out of Germany:

Powerdynamo for Suzuki T5000

Which will run you about $350 or so delivered and would allow you to run pretty much what ever light set-up you want. Or you could also get a replacement HID conversion kit or a high lumen Cree LED bulb kit. Both are available off ebay for less than $50 and will happily provide more light on the 35 watts the stock bulb consumes on high beam.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

ya i've been back and forth on the filters or stacks, I'm gonna stay with the stock lights it just didn't have any when i got it, and yes spec II specializes in yamaha rds but i have a friend that had him make some pipes for his rd and he said he has and will make me some pipes for my titan and the pic i posted is a pic he sent me of the suzuki pipes he makes

Quote Originally Posted by shmave20 View Post
    ya i've been back and forth on the filters or stacks, I'm gonna stay with the stock lights it just didn't have any when i got it, and yes spec II specializes in yamaha rds but i have a friend that had him make some pipes for his rd and he said he has and will make me some pipes for my titan and the pic i posted is a pic he sent me of the suzuki pipes he makes
    Nice! Very interested in this - please post some pictures when you get them installed. Curious as to what he's charging you for a set of chambers?

I'll keep you posted but I'm not doing the exhaust until this winter.

Did you check the inside of the brake hubs for cracks yet?

Nope 1ST thing I plan on checking but been busy working.

• Ultra Sonic Testing is used to detect surface and subsurface discontinuities in ferrous and nonferrous materials.
    • Liquid Penetrant Testing will detect surface discontinuities in ferrous and nonferrous materials open to the surface. (probably your cheapest option)
    • Radiographic Testing is a method of inspecting materials for hidden flaws by using the ability of short wavelength electromagnetic radiation in the form of high energy photons to penetrate various materials.

… unless it's all cracked to shit and you can see it with your naked eye :|

No visible signs of cracks so I'm callling them good for now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links