1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike... - Page 5
Close

1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike...

This is a discussion on 1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike... within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The reason for the pipes is because eventually this is goin to be a replica tt racer and they are sweet as well. And i ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1970 suzuki T500 cafe bike...

The reason for the pipes is because eventually this is goin to be a replica tt racer and they are sweet as well. And i had the pods working well but it needs an overhaul. This is just a step at a time till i can get to the finish of the replica but i still want to ride it as well. I have always loved JL pipes on two strokes they are very nice. And the stock ones are falling apart.

I agree that they are nice pipes, but they don't come on the pipe until fairly high revs which may dictate the use of higher spec pistons such as Wossners. Cheap pistons are remarkably good value but they are not designed to be thrashed on too hard too often and those pipes might encourage that behavior.

Ya i dont think im goin to throw the wossners at it but might go with the wisco ones but pipes are ordered and thats what im putting on so ill just have to work with it ill definitely keep you guys posted but it will be a while till the pipes get here. Enough time for me to get the bore and porting sorted out has anyone done any porting on these just wondering how it went?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I'm two stroke ignorant.

Do those pipes kill midrange and partial throttle acceleration? Two strokes are more sensitive to pipe changes I assume.

Really hard to judge less than full throttle performance even if you had a dyno run of that pipe.
    Exactly. TR500 pipes were not designed to make any power below about 6,000 revs and run hard to over 9,000 The only TR pipes I have modeled are early (Daytona) and TR05 Mk111 and they were both full on race pipes designed to win races at appropriate flat out revs. Modern pipe designs can be much more forgiving and with software, it's not too hard to match pipes to ports and see what they would do.

TR pipes are designed to work with TR ports and a street GT500 won't be close to those port dimensions/timing and will not be well matched. For example the TR exhaust port is around 8mm taller than a GT IIRC.

GT with Jemco pipe peaks at around 40hp at 6,000 where a TR peaks around 8,000 with 30hp at 6,000 and 60 at 8,000 (crank calculated HP). A street motor with lower ports and cooler exhaust temps will resonate at different speeds than a race motor, but race pipes might just turn out to be OK if a little peaky on a street motor. Just out of idle curiosity and as a way to procrastinate and not do my taxes, I ran a few numbers and it looks like a TR pipe might work on mild barrels and would make less power than say Jemco street pipes up to around 5,500 and more from there up to peak at 7,000. All I did was change exhaust port timing in that run and did not adjust the carb size or transfer port areas etc, so it's a crude indicator at best.

Thanks nice info...

Did you ever get your kick start fixed? Was it the lever or the shaft itself?

It was the lever i found a nos replacement...

any of you guys have a clue on where to start on my jetting im just finished with the port cleanup and exhaust is the race exhaust that i showed above and k/n race pods on the filters. Im looking for a starting point so i can try to make the setup as easy as possible i have all the jet sizes at hand but looking for some good information thanks for you time.

150-155. id have to open 1 up if you want the needle , needle jet sizeName:  IMG_2696.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  2.12 MB

thank you what carbs are those they don't look stock?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links