CB900 Cafe Racer project - Page 2
Close

CB900 Cafe Racer project

This is a discussion on CB900 Cafe Racer project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by tjurek51 ... i've seen lots of places offering Honda Racing transmissions... For cars or motorcycles? "Racing transmission" usually refers to the gear ...

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: CB900 Cafe Racer project

Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    ... i've seen lots of places offering Honda Racing transmissions...
    For cars or motorcycles?

"Racing transmission" usually refers to the gear ratios inside the transmission. Close ratio gearboxes are usually considered racing transmissions and Wide ratio gearboxes are what you find in street bikes.
    Almost guarantee your bike has wide ratio gear ranges and you would never be able to alter the transmission internal gears on that bike, which outputs to its secondary transfer case via a gear and not a chain.

If you do what you plan to do, it will definitely be your own invention. You may as well remove the engine and put just that in a scratch built chassis, there is virtually nothing about the original parts that would be worth retaining. imho
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 09-20-2015 at 07:50 AM.

hmmm. according to specs, it is longer to accommodate the larger transmission box. you're saying this is not true? the other difference in the frame was the seat are subframe is supposedly lower as well. one quick question; instead of hunting and pecking for documentation, do you have any recommendations on where to find a better source of documentation for these bikes?
    No what I am saying is that the logic jump from having a little more room in the cradle to having an overall longer from is both flawed and ignorant. While it may be technically true the bottom of the cradle is extended to accommodate the transmission that doesn't make the backbone any longer. I'm pretty sure the f model super sports have a longer overall frame because the part of the frame that supports the rear passenger goes all the way to the taillight whereas on the C model it stops just aft of the shocks to mount the fender.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

I have never heard of anybody even trying to convert a 900/1000C to chain drive, because there is no reason due to the availability ofthe 900 and 1100 F. People have converted the Yamaha XS series because there no chain drive equivalent. The only reasonable way for you to do a conversion is to put an entire F engine in your C frame. Then you could put a longer swing arm in and move it forward closer to the rear of the engine in order to shorten the distance between the swingarm pivot and the countershaft sprocket. This would make it your own, since you would need to build the swingarm pivot area of the frame and work out the rear suspension. You could also look at putting your 900 top end on a trashed 750 so you could have a different combination of parts and get an engine cheap.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I just took a look through google images for 900c's and there are no, none, zero, zilch, as in not any pics of nicely done performance cruisers on the first page, at all. There are a couple of weak attempts that look like they got started and gave up, there are a couple that tried to do bobber, chopper, brat style kind of things. There are not any that appear to have given comprehensive thought to the characteristics of the bike and play to the strengths and minimize the inherent deficits. Clearly this is a wide open field.

Go for it!!!
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Bike will never be ridden again once you go down to frame...calling it right now.

Project is progressing slowly due to the need to research and, well, stare at the bike for awhile. sometimes, a new vantage point works so i had my bro-in-law build me a rolling work bench. see pic.Name:  Bike_on_bench.JPG
Views: 1175
Size:  724.4 KB

first off, i thought i could salvage the rear wheel, until, that is, i noticed it's 3" smaller in diameter than the front. so, need to get a new wheel. not a big deal as there are a ton out there. Second, needed to decide on cafe seat style. most likely going with a fiberglass "Thruxton" style seat. still need a line on good options for the cushion, so if you have suggestions... third, need to paint the engine. any thoughts on a good paint that will last a long time? also, converting the shaft to chain is really not all that tough. Remove the secondary transmission and it's the same engine, gear box, clutch etc. as the other CB750/900's. but, i'll save the details for future posts. finally, i'm thinking of replacing the standard 5 speed gear box with a racing, close ratio 5 or 6 speed gear box. the only one i find online is from Nova Racing. anyone know of a place that sells rebuilt gearing?

hey, i know most of you like to light up the poster with all sorts of negatives. bring it on. only motivates me more (which i appreciate). just please understand, i'm doing this for the fun of it. and to learn. just don't make it personal. i appreciate it.
    Last edited by tjurek51; 01-18-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    CBSam likes this.

i had my bro-in-law build me a rolling work bench. see pic.
    nice bench.

Second, needed to decide on cafe seat style.
    i'm thinking of replacing the standard 5 speed gear box with a racing, close ratio 5 or 6 speed gear box. the only one i find online is from Nova Racing. anyone know of a place that sells rebuilt gearing?
    close ratio gearbox and chain conversion for a C-model? Seat being the second most urgent decision after the new 17" rear rim (which needed a swap ANYWAY if doing a chain conversion).

I am baffled.

hey, i know most of you like to light up the poster with all sorts of negatives. bring it on. only motivates me more
    Also understand that the "negatives" might not be food for resilience by the pessimists - BUT actually words of wisdom. Don't ignore helpful advise just because you don't like hearing it.
    Last edited by kerosene; 12-21-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    jcw likes this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    That bike weighs 611 pounds Dry, for gods sake don't get it wet!
    I'd say, if you want a light-weight CB900c, jack up the stickers and slide a new bike under it.[/I]
    That sir is hilarious, beer out my nose funny. cheers
    pwalo likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

btw
    Name:  E14438B16.gif
Views: 960
Size:  90.6 KBName:  E14461A16.gif
Views: 971
Size:  89.0 KB
    they don't look identical. At minimum the counter axle is different. The pictures of spare cases are so bad I cannot tell the differences there (besides the mounts)
    -

the clymer's book indicates the counter axle is different, which is expected, but only on the one side. the primary gearing is roughly the same. again, based on the book. find out when i get in there. appreciate the feedback. would like recommendations on engine paint if you have any. thanks.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links