Honda 650 single build - Page 3
Close

Honda 650 single build

This is a discussion on Honda 650 single build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; If in doubt, make up a test piece, stitch it up the best you can using the same materials and process and perform some destructive ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Honda 650 single build

If in doubt, make up a test piece, stitch it up the best you can using the same materials and process and perform some destructive testing on it, or have it professionally inspected by a lab with about 80 grand worth of microscopes. (They actually perform that service in some of the better universities) Welding is like good sex, it's great fun but achieving good penetration and avoiding shrinkage can be a challenge
    pwalo likes this.

Have 3 days free now so back to the bike....
    Fitted Ducati rearsets, both sides, and apart from needing to make a longer link all done....
    Name:  sr45.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  321.8 KB
    And made the oil tank, I started out making a template for one that filled the whole space behind the downtube but then realised its capacity would be well over 2 gallons which seemed a bit excessive, so this one is half width.....leaving enough space for the battery on the other side...
    Name:  sr42.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  290.1 KB
    As far as welding goes though its no longer much fun for me (though sex still is!) as I've been doing it for 35 years, partly general fabrication but more particularly sports and racing car chassis....I've just spent the last 3 days making this for someone.....
    Name:  boat44 (800x600).jpg
Views: 409
Size:  262.7 KB
    which involved hours and hours of welding....and more than 5kg of wire....and then for relaxation I spend the next day welding an oil tank!!

If it's the sex you've been doing for 35 years, might be time for a break. Personally I prefer a good meat pie.
    pwalo likes this.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

But you'd get gravy on your nuts.
    kerosene, thechief86 and steveo like this.

What is the material you used on the tank? How thick?

Quote Originally Posted by unclerob View Post
    ...Name:  sr45.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  321.8 KB...
    Just a really, really tiny observation :| the angle of the bracket on your folding pegs is less than ideal. If it has to fold up on impacting the back of your leg your leg is going to lose badly. Or possibly that is something you had plans to address later anyway, in which case carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Just a really, really tiny observation :| the angle of the bracket on your folding pegs is less than ideal. If it has to fold up on impacting the back of your leg your leg is going to lose badly. Or possibly that is something you had plans to address later anyway, in which case carry on.
    I'm not that smart, so I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are talking about. Peg fold up angle looks acceptable to me, and I don't see anything with the bracket itself that looks odd. Care to elaborate?
    pwalo likes this.

Certainly Footpegs are suppose to fold up and back, not up and forward.

But at least his do fold up which is better than ones that don't fold up at all. :| possibly I've just been hit by too many foot pegs to not notice.
    CAPTAIN AWESOME likes this.

and just as a side note and to totally sound like a mother: If you use passenger pegs as improvised rearsets, you should spring load them to return to the down position, pillion pegs are designed to fold up and stay up, which really sucks if they get knocked up and aren't there when you expect them to be there

It looks a bit wrong I know....mainly because the pivot pin and surface of footrest are at different angles....it does almost pivot upwards though. This shows what I mean.....
    Name:  $_57 (11).JPG
Views: 377
Size:  300.5 KB
    They are 916 pegs which I will fit when some find their way to me! Both are sprung btw. The actual brackets, levers etc are all 600ss
    The tank is made from 14g mild steel, went quite thick as was a bit concerned about it being affected by vibration etc.....still undecided whether to rubber or solid mount it....brass filler cap and drain are UK size plumbing fittings, feed return and breather are airline fittings and I copied a BSA tank where the return has an internal pipe ending just below the filler cap....so you can check oil is actually going round....probably not necessary on a Honda!
    And Andy... experienced pie eater myself....try pasties if you have that gravy problem....asda do very nice steak and stilton ones!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by unclerob; 05-17-2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: post showed twice
    pwalo likes this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links