Honda 650 single build
Close

Honda 650 single build

This is a discussion on Honda 650 single build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I've been thinking about this build for quite a while now, collecting bits for it and making sketches etc and finally decided to make a ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Honda 650 single build

Honda 650 single build

I've been thinking about this build for quite a while now, collecting bits for it and making sketches etc and finally decided to make a start....
    Basic idea is something along the lines of a 60's clubmans race bike but built using fairly modern parts...so single cylinder, spoked 18" or 19" wheels, twinshock, full or maybe half fairing, single disc front and rear, no lights but road legal and as light as I can manage to make it. Hopefully looking something like this.....
    Name:  50637.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  153.8 KB
    I picked on the Honda RFVC motor for no better reason than that I already had one spare and my father once owned a Rudge Ulster! Will also be using its headstock, yokes and hubs.
    Forks will be Suzuki 250 Bandit and the disc is from an Africa twin (I think) Brembo calipers and Ducati controls....all bits lying about on shelves that need using!
    Name:  003 (800x600) (4).jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  344.2 KB
    I've ridden them in the past and although ok ish I got the impression the engine was a bit mild so hoping to find a few extra horses in there later on.....no experience at all as far as that goes and any suggestions welcome please! Its not my main priority yet though and so far all I've done is pick up a 40mm FCR for it and made a start on a larger bore exhaust.
    I've decided to make the frame, something along the lines of a mk.3 Seeley, something I haven't done in a good while....though I do still make race/sports car chassis now and then so don't have any real worries about either making it straight or strong enough.
    So far, I've made a jig....which I know looks a bit of a lash but it is dimensionally accurate....24.5 degreee head angle, 56.5" wheelbase, and I'm making the various sections on plate glass so I can see if any distortion is happening and avoid building it in...
    Name:  sr01.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  347.4 KB
    Name:  sr04.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  311.0 KB
    For now I'm just using ordinary mild steel ERW tube, 11/4" with a 2mm wall but do have some T45 seamless same diameter and will decide whether to use it for a second frame later....fairly certain i won't get everything right first time and don't want to waste it!!!

Hey wait, what about the Cagiva. I'm sittin here waiting for the next picture and your off building a Honda. Whats up with that?
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Talking

yeah. how dare you start another before finishing something else.

fucking over achiever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Sorry about that! Only major work left to do on the Cagiva is finish painting it, was freezing cold here in the UK last week so thought I'd leave it for a bit to warm up.....and now its baking hot! And as far as painting goes....any excuse not to do it works for me!
    This is way more fun ....todays work....most of the frame tubes in place....
    Name:  sr11.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  356.0 KB
    Can't quite decide whether to add just one more from the top of the headstock back centrally to the middle of the frame....any thoughts welcome please....
    Name:  sr10.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  326.0 KB
    Thats not the damper I'll be using, its just there to line things up....wheel is within an inch of full bump there btw. The top mount looks a bit chunky I know but wanted the frame narrow there and it'll be covered by the seat moulding eventually....

it looks to me like they have a big bend point where the two tubes meet. i'd definitely brace that out.

Thanks, yes, just needed a bit of encouragement to add another tube or 2, with luck it'll end up only weighing 20lbs or so more than the original bike!
    Anyhow, it came out of the'jig' today and ended up surprisingly straight....though finish welding yet to do and the area around the swingarm....plenty of opportunity to get it wrong yet...sitting low at the back but fairly happy with it so far.
    Name:  sr22.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  416.0 KB
    Name:  sr17.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  372.2 KB
    jaguar, drgonzo and TrialsRider like this.

Wanted to sort the bars before I got onto the footrests/controls so picked a pair from a CBR for £5 from local breaker....a bit tired and bent but all he had in 41mm....
    Name:  sr27.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  330.0 KB
    But they cleaned up ok and replaced the bar section with a nice chromey one....
    Name:  sr28.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  292.1 KB
    Pic also shows fairly major design error....wheel/exhaust interface problem! Was trying to get the engine well forward and obviously tried too hard....not too concerned though as half way through making the exhaust I decided I didn't like it so glad of an excuse to have another go!
    Decided on a full fairing for it as well....seems to be quite a good fit....though I often think that and then spend a week altering it....I'll mould one tomorrow and try it up properly....
    Name:  sr29.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  306.4 KB
    TrialsRider likes this.

I like it, I have a thing for the big thumpers.

I lusted after this one for years: Believe that this was built in Australia.
    Name:  Supermono800j.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  118.2 KB
    Last edited by nic579; 05-11-2016 at 06:31 AM.
    CAPTAIN AWESOME likes this.

Thats interesting....tuning info on these motors is a bit thin on the ground in the UK....thinking that the amount of trouble he's gone to with the oil system is for a good reason!
    Got the fairing made today but still in the mould and halfway done with the tank....making it from 20g steel as whenever I try to make an ali one I cock it up....
    Name:  sr33.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  292.9 KB
    TrialsRider likes this.

I'm curious what you are using to weld or braze the frame tubing is that something you can share or is it a proprietary process?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links