92 nighthawk 750 brat build
Close

This is a discussion on 92 nighthawk 750 brat build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Well I guess it's time to get this started. So I have decided to go through with the build. With all the set backs and ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 92 nighthawk 750 brat build

Well I guess it's time to get this started.
    So I have decided to go through with the build. With all the set backs and problems that came up during the tear down I almost abandoned it. Well I found a good frame for almost free. That along with all the parts I had all ready picked up I figured why not. When it's all said and done I'll have well under 1500 into the bike, and it will have basically a freshly rebuilt engine, and be a nice custom bike.
    I don't care much for the way the frame on these bikes has the upward sweep to them, but I don't want to completely rebuild the rear sub-frame and shock mount. So I'll be cutting off the rear sub just behind the shock mounts. Instead of just welding in a rear hoop I'll bend it back flat and weld it in so it will have a small step up.
    I also dislike the way the right seat frame rail kinda bends inward. If your familiar with these bikes you know what I'm talking about. I'm guessing it's for clearance on the battery box. So since I have 2 frames I decided instead of getting some tubing bent to match the left frame rail, I'll just cut the left frame rail off the bad frame and turn it upside down and weld it to the new frame. Anyway I should be picking the frame up this weekend so I'll post pics of the frame work progress.
    Other than that I'll be doing a MX style bar, with the fattest simi knobby tires I can fit in the stock front end. I'll build a seat pan (out of steel) with a flat double Dimond tucked seat cover, and yes I'll be doing all the fab work, and stiching. I'm thinking of doing it in brown leather, with dark green stitching. I owned a Bullitt Mustang for a long time, and that's the color for the bike, so I think the green stitching will look good. I have the motor almost completely torn down. The cylinders look good, real good. Other then an excessive amount of carbon build up in the combustion chambers, tops of pistons, and cylinders, everything looks good. I'll re-ring and hone, clean ever engine part, and really assemble. I'm going to keep the engine bare aluminum, and I'm thinking a dark bronze color for the frame. With all other accessories in black and aluminum.

Well that's the plan, I'll probably have a good update after the weekend, of corse Monaco is this weekend, so maybe I won't get to much done... who knows. Anyway I hope you all enjoy the build, this will be a long term project, I'm really not in a huge rush. I'm shooting for the fall, that's when it will be cool enough to really enjoy riding here in Vegas. I'll need to re-size the pics I took, there to big to be seen on mobile devices and I'm guessing thats what everyone uses now.
    But here is one of the bike mid tear down

Name:  20160430_211142_001.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  2.10 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Well it looks like the pics came out ok, so there ya go. Pic 2 is the day I picked it up, the rest are of the engine and it's progress.

Best luck with your long term art project.
    and no, old people don't use mobile devices, the screens are way too small for our tired old eyes :|
    Curious why you would use steel for a seat pan instead of wood? It's way hard to staple leather to steel. And while on the subject of the really important stuff, are you going to use real beast leather or that naugahyde crap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Curious why you would use steel for a seat pan instead of wood? It's way hard to staple leather to steel. And while on the subject of the really important stuff, are you going to use real beast leather or that naugahyde crap.
    I think I saw a brat seat pan under his engine.
    Stephen J likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    and no, old people don't use mobile devices, the screens are way too small for our tired old eyes :|
    I noticed a skateboard under the motor so the seats half finished if he goes that route.
    woodsman likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I think I saw a brat seat pan under his engine.
    Oops, yea we're on the same page. didn't see your post before I commented on deck seat pan.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Haha the skate board pan. As for the leather... yes, real beast leather. And yes, I am looking to make the bike look good, but I want it rideable, that's why I'll be sticking with upright bars, and keeping controls in there original location. I may move back slightly as when I was test fitting it seemed. Little more comfy for my size, but we will see how it ends up. As for using steel on the seat pan, if there are better ways please let's here them. The plan for using steel is that I wanted to avoid using fiberglass. I want everything to be fabricated out of steel. Not sure how the chopper guys attach the foam and leather but I know they use steel in there seat pans. But if that's not the right way, then please advise me. Let's be clear, this is the first motorcycle build I have ever attempted. As I said in earlier posts, I have built many cars. I am a do it yourselfer, home mechanic type. I like to rip shit apart and see how it works. I have been known to rush because I want to enjoy what I'm building, but I got 2 friends that are the voice in my head telling me to slow down, take my time, and do it right. So again, as much as I know how I want the bike to look and ride, I know shit about bikes so I will try really hard to hear and heed any advise given.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaster View Post
    I know shit about bikes so I will try really hard to hear and heed any advise given.
    Stop worrying about what it looks like and start thinking about what would make it a better motorcycle. if you don't "know shit about bikes" why would you contemplate chopping it up. Put on quality shocks and tires, research front end swaps that will give you dual discs and lighter wheels. Handlebars that improve the riding position for you. Probably needs chain and sprockets. Leave the fenders, stock air box, signals alone.

That being the case...don't keep fucking it up.

My list of don'ts

Don't hack the frame
    Don't lower the suspension to zero travel
    Don't "monoshock" it
    Don't use that skateboard for your seat
    Don't tear it down to see how it works (you can do that with fresh plugs, clean carbs and some gas)

Typically steel seat pans use a combination of contact cement along with either clips on the underside of the sheet metal seat pan, pop rivets, or a piece of chrome trim that runs the length of the saddle and is held on there with little studs and nuts.

Plastic formed seat pans usually have the cover glued and stapled on. Fiberglass is rarely used in OEM seat pans.

If you are using real leather it is highly advisable to back the leather with a flexible waterproof membrane so that water does not soak through the leather cover and saturate your seat foam.
    Remember to put some air holes on the bottom side of the seat so that air can escape when you sit on the seat and compress the foam and so that any condensation that accumulates in there can drain out.

Forget it guys, he's building an art project, this bike will never see upgraded suspension parts, his budget is going to be blown on superfluous makeup and fenderless clown shoes. Frame is getting chopped up and welded back together with farm rod. Next time you see the bike it will be riderless and featured in a pipeburn photoshoot.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-25-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links