Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 - Page 2
Close

Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

This is a discussion on Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by hillsy Don't know about the 1400, but the 1500 came with too narrow headers stock - all the aftermarket exhausts are significantly ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Don't know about the 1400, but the 1500 came with too narrow headers stock - all the aftermarket exhausts are significantly larger in diameter and they boost power across the RPM range by about 30% (with a suitable re-jet, of course).

The old Intruder forum crashed, but there is a newer one: http://intruders-alert.com

There should still be some guys over there who can help with your exhaust questions.
    Hi Hillsy,
    Thanks for the tip, I will check out that forum and also after market pipes for design features, I should have thought of that.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

I'm just about to cut the bottom out of the tank. The 1st thing I want is to have the bottom of the seat horizontal, there is a slight concave curve to the top of the seat which should stop me from sliding about. The tank will be lowered about 50mm or so, and I want it all to flow, I might have to deepen the rear of the tank, I will look at that when I have cut the tank in half, it has to be lengthened 100mm.
    Name:  P_20161119_102222.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  1.96 MB

I love the shape of that tank, so much so I put it on my XR when I was first setting it up in a flat track stance. Had that shape in my head for 20+ years and one day I was sitting at stop light in my car and turned my head to see an Intruder 600 and about flipped. It sat at a much steeper angle on the 600 but was the exact shape I was looking for. I hit a bike breaker before the week was done and bought one. Modified the mounts to fit my bike and welded in a flush aircraft gas cap. Sold it after having the Dunstall RR tanked when I changed to the full RR stance. This pic was during the transition and I had taken the flat track bars off and installed the clip-ons.

www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hi Marc, yep I like it too. I looked around for a cafe racer tank, but realised I would most probably have to reshape the bottom anyway. So I had a brain flash : Why not re-use the existing tank. I'm butchering the bike, so why not re-use as much as possible? Like an Eskimo using all of a seal or an Indian using all of a buffalo.
    I've cut the bottom out it, next step is to insert a 100mm extension just behind the filler cap. Hopefully the 2nd hand Tig I've bought will arrive soon, so I can put it all back together. It's one thing to slice and dice, a totally different thing re-constructing it, but I'm looking forward to it.
    PS.
    I've just had another brain flash, I've got to stop these or I'll give myself a headache. I've been concerned about the merge of the tank and seat, and initially I thought about deepening the tank, that would be a lot of work. But zap, how about just modify the end of the seat to let the tank merge into it. Add another 50mm or so to the mid section extension and bingo, problem solved.
    Name:  P_20161119_171151.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  1.47 MB
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 11-19-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Another thought.

My workshop is not quite ideal.
    Name:  P_20161124_093952.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  848.8 KB
    And neither is my workbench, a plank on the woodheap.
    Name:  P_20161124_094223.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  847.0 KB
    As a special treat, sometimes work ends up in the lounge room. My wife and the dog are quite relaxed with this intrusion, very tolerant.
    Name:  P_20161124_111102.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  1.22 MB
    Can you see the black line marking the cut point on the tank? It's all seat of the pants guesswork, but she'll be right mate. I'm an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHarold View Post
    In 2010 after being thrown onto the industrial scrap heap, instead of looking for another job and despite calls of 'please come back' from my wife and 'the Taliban will get ya' from everyone else, I headed off on an around the world motorbike trip.
    I laughed hysterically at this, and am proud to know that people like you still exist. Well played, my good man. Well played.

My workshop is not quite ideal.
    Name:  P_20161124_093952.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  848.8 KB
    The only way this ^^^ could be better is if the buckets were full of water

As a special treat, sometimes work ends up in the lounge room. My wife and the dog are quite relaxed with this intrusion, very tolerant.
    Name:  P_20161124_111102.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  1.22 MB
    Can you see the black line marking the cut point on the tank? It's all seat of the pants guesswork, but she'll be right mate. I'm an optimist.
    Bonus points if you cut the tank in half on the coffee table.....

Cheers Dohc and Hillsy, you gotta laugh at life, and I wimped out on the bonus points. I'm just about ready to start tigging, next step is to clean up the weld areas. The 2nd hand welder I bought has arrived, but minus the mask, but I'm assured it's now on its way, just a misunderstanding. I bought some TIG consumables yesterday, the salesman was most helpful after I explained that I've got no idea what I'm doing. My 1st practice will be patching the holes in the mudguard where the tail light was mounted. It should be interesting.Name:  P_20161124_162247.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  1.67 MB

to quote brocky "bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell".
    pwalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    to quote brocky "bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell".
    I'm chewing Brad.
    After waiting nearly a month for the welding mask to arrive and losing my faith in humanity, I bought another mask on eBay. I would have bought it earlier if I had checked how cheap it was, only $18.50 including postage. Of course the other mask arrived the very next day, oh ye of little faith. But it wont be wasted, as I am a Tasmanian.
    My workbench has migrated from the woodheap to inside the shed, and has morphed from a plank into the neighbour's discarded kitchen bench.
    Name:  P_20161219_152452.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.69 MB
    Just to prove I've got no shame here is a photo of my 1st attempt at TIG welding. Needless to say I've got a long way to go before starting on the tank.
    Name:  P_20161219_152554.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  1.64 MB
    Cheers,
    Mark

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links