Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 - Page 3
Close

Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

This is a discussion on Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No splatter, so you've got that going for you!...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

No splatter, so you've got that going for you!
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

Congratulations on the opportunity to learn a new skill!

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    No splatter, so you've got that going for you!
    I suppose splatter could be caused by not enough argon, or perhaps contaminates. I'm getting plenty of practice sharpening the tungsten electrode, today it split about 4mm, I wonder what would cause that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Congratulations on the opportunity to learn a new skill!
    Yes, I'm enjoying the challenge. Yesterday I jumped in the deep end, it was only the underside of the rear mudguard, what damage could I do? Today I jumped in the kiddies pool and practiced running a puddle on a bit of scrap, I usually do things back to front. Emboldened by this, I started on the tank, just tacking it together. I haven't blown any holes yet, but I'm not convinced I can do a good enough job, we will see.

I am making progress but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. I will review the 'How to TIG weld' by Mr Tig and others on YouTube now that I've got a little experience.
    Name:  P_20161221_183252.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  1.68 MB

Santa comes early. Tell me about it says my wife. Hard but fair. My big brother has produced the goods in his workshop. The disc mounting holes have been re-drilled to the correct pattern radius and diameters and a inner ring has been fitted to centre it on the hub, not that it's needed, I think the mounting bolts are sufficient. The top triple tree has been machined to allow the forks to come through about 40mm to reduce the rake and trail a bit and to mount the the clip ons.
    Name:  P_20161223_115116.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  1.88 MB

Happy new year everyone, may it be a good one. I did myself a favour for xmas and gave learning how to TIG weld a bit of a break, but I will be back into it soon.
    I've started to put the front end together and I think I've a problem. I've had the top triple tree machined out to allow the forks to come through to reduce the rake a bit and to mount the clip ons a bit higher. A win win outcome, or so I thought. But I didn't think it all the way at the beginning. The stock setup has the fork coming half way through the triple tree and a cap is screwed into the fork from the top to secure it. With the new setup, I've lost that lock between the forks and the triple tree. Sure, it's locked in place by the clip ons on top and the cap still screws into the top of the fork and the indicator holder acts as a collar underneath, but I think I've lost torsional rigidity, Is my thinking correct or am I worrying sheep?
    Name:  P_20170101_110633.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  690.8 KB

Do the forks slop around in the top triple or are they a snug fit? If they are snug you should be OK. But you could also cut a slot between the riser holes and the fork clamps to make a pinch bolt setup.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Do the forks slop around in the top triple or are they a snug fit? If they are snug you should be OK. But you could also cut a slot between the riser holes and the fork clamps to make a pinch bolt setup.
    Hi hillsy and thanks for your advice. They are a snug fit, I have to use a rubber hammer to jar them out. That's a good idea about a pinch bolt, I will give it some thought.

I've decided to go with the pinch bolt. I've made the left side cut. It started to rain, so it's time for a coffee and to find a new hacksaw blade for the right hand side.
    Name:  P_20170101_161938.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  1.59 MB
    pwalo and Stephen J like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links