CB77 Project
Close

CB77 Project

This is a discussion on CB77 Project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So the CB77 from Jag arrived today and I took a few minutes to open up the documentation... holy crap, I'm pretty impressed. Here's the ...

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: CB77 Project

CB77 Project

So the CB77 from Jag arrived today and I took a few minutes to open up the documentation... holy crap, I'm pretty impressed. Here's the link to the imgur gallery, and below are some of the highlights.

Cb77 race bike and documentation - Album on Imgur

It seems like this has more or less the whole catalog of honda race parts...
    documentation indicates it has the 5 speed trans which is a nice surprise too.

there's mention of a gardner carburetor, which I'm not familiar with.
    Additionally, its using honda 350 pistons.

if anyone knows a Roy Seem it seems he was a big figure in this bikes past.

this notebook has a goddamn index:

pwalo and jaguar like this.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

Right now the bike is running a total loss system and is bump start only... this isn't exactly practical for me at this point in time so that's going to be the first thing to address. So off the top of my head, here are my priorities of work:
    1. Get motor running
    1a. new wiring harness
    1b. electronic ignition, coils, R+R
    1c. add alternator, starter clutch, starter, starter chain
    1d. add switches/controls
    1e. battery
    1f. drain oil, check oil sediment trap/primary chain/valve clearances/cam chain tensioner
    1g. clean carburetors
    1h. new throttle cables
    1i. add fuel filters/new fuel lines
    1j. attempt to start.

after that happens I'll begin to look at the suspension/tires/misc other items.

Jag, I think this is a far better deal than you thought...
    DohcBikes and jaguar like this.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

googled garner carbs, it doesn't have them. need to measure the ones on there to see if they've been bored though.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have ceriani forks like the notes say either.

Any tips on refurbishing the S&W rear shocks?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Too bad you want to do 1a through 1e. That's a real vintage race bike. If you want a street bike you'd be better off buying a street bike to start with. But it's your bike, do what you want. And according to the douch nozzle don't bother with 1i. The factories never used them so you don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by craig641 View Post
    Too bad you want to do 1a through 1e. That's a real vintage race bike. If you want a street bike you'd be better off buying a street bike to start with. But it's your bike, do what you want. And according to the douch nozzle don't bother with 1i. The factories never used them so you don't need them.
    I tend to agree that it's a race bike and belongs on the track. The last race CB77 I sold had fairing and glass tank etc etc and the new owner changed it all to make it look very similar to that bike - a period race kitted racer.

I see that he also used D10 or D12 plugs. On Methanol I used D10HS iIRC and with gas it needed D12s. Timing 45-48 sounds right, but on methanol it could be more.

It has stock late model CB77 forks or maybe they are CB350 twin forks with those external springs.

Great project

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Yeah it's a vintage bike that's been in a couple races in the mid 80's and a had an analytical owner with a notebook. Let's not make it out to be something it isn't.
    Did you eventually answer Ken's questions about your racing credentials? No? Then shut the fuck up.
    pwalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by craig641 View Post
    While i don't necessarily have a problem with keeping it bump start, my logic behind adding on an electric starter is that it will make "waking the motor up" considerably easier as I don't have a roller starter right now. It's not like it's not anything that can't be reversed either.

I do have full intentions on getting it onto the track.

I would add the electric starter pieces and the alternator for now. You can always remove them and run total loss as a race bike when you get to that point. It is nice to have the starter when you want to fire it up in the garage and work on it on the stands and such. I would not worry about an electronic ignition, new wiring harness and all of that at this point. Do the maintenance and get it running, then worry about other stuff. That looks like a stock external spring Honda front end. I would check the plating on the fork tubes in the seal area as it is relatively thin and will wear off causing oil leaks.
    As far as DOHC's comments, I tend to ignore them as he has no experience with roadracing and roadrace bikes. Craig and Teazer and I on the other hand, have well documented experience with roadracing Honda twins. Craig and I have pitted together at races and we have Honda 350 based bikes.So, take your advice from what you consider to be credible sources.
    540nova likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I have enough experience to see that bike there ain't shit but an amateur hobby racer bike. Believe it or not, I mean absolutely no offense by sharing that wisdom, it just is what it is so why make it to be like it's a part of history. I remember laughing out loud at the asking price when it was posted here. I've bought bikes just like that for a tenth of what was advertised. It's all about how cool you make it sound I guess.

It's a cool bike. Got some neat parts on it. Have fun with it.
    Last edited by DohcBikes; 11-13-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    I would add the electric starter pieces and the alternator for now. You can always remove them and run total loss as a race bike when you get to that point. It is nice to have the starter when you want to fire it up in the garage and work on it on the stands and such. I would not worry about an electronic ignition, new wiring harness and all of that at this point. Do the maintenance and get it running, then worry about other stuff. That looks like a stock external spring Honda front end. I would check the plating on the fork tubes in the seal area as it is relatively thin and will wear off causing oil leaks.
    As far as DOHC's comments, I tend to ignore them as he has no experience with roadracing and roadrace bikes. Craig and Teazer and I on the other hand, have well documented experience with roadracing Honda twins. Craig and I have pitted together at races and we have Honda 350 based bikes.So, take your advice from what you consider to be credible sources.
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll go through the front end once I get the motor running.

I need to find a starter chain that isn't located in Thailand though...

I also need to get a center stand and assorted hardware... right now it only has a tripod to prop it up

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links