New Project - Page 3
Close

New Project

This is a discussion on New Project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This is starting to drag a bit. Took a little ride yesterday to see an ST4s. On the face of it, a lot of bike ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Project

This is starting to drag a bit.
    Took a little ride yesterday to see an ST4s. On the face of it, a lot of bike for £1800, but with no service history, 6 MOT advisories, and more than a bit rough around the edges. Thought better of it.
    There's a few early VFR750's, along with ZXR750's, 900 Daytona's, and a number CBR1000f's for reasonable money.
    Buggered if I can decide though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

the advantage i have with the italian specialty is that i resist anything i don't work on. otherwise i'd have some early gsxr or gpz/x600 and a pop up headlight katana. love them. but i stick with what i know. no point learning a new brand for no other reason at this age. and the thought of pulling a box out of a guzzi on my own time steers me clear of any more of them.

so it's ducatis. makes it easy. of course, i buy supposedly cheap ones and spend way more than they're worth doing often pointless mods to bikes i don't ride anyway.

i don't know that the service history is so important. all the shit that can go wrong will go wrong anyway pretty much, and i see so much stuff that's just general neglect in the name of well intentioned "service" that anything more than basic service can be of such wildly varying quality that it's often not worth the paper a history is written on. stuff like crap bodywork, corroded aluminium parts, etc can be just as expensive to fix as mechanical stuff too.

not sure if any of that is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    This is starting to drag a bit.
    Took a little ride yesterday to see an ST4s. On the face of it, a lot of bike for £1800, but with no service history, 6 MOT advisories, and more than a bit rough around the edges. Thought better of it.
    Sounds like the kind of bike I'm trying not to look for, but in my case it'd be to get a donor engine for the 851. It's already been decided that there will be no major work done on the engine that's in it now. Truth be told I'm really just looking for an excuse. I even thought about starting the search when I found out I needed a new ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    the advantage i have with the italian specialty is that i resist anything i don't work on. otherwise i'd have some early gsxr or gpz/x600 and a pop up headlight katana. love them. but i stick with what i know. no point learning a new brand for no other reason at this age. and the thought of pulling a box out of a guzzi on my own time steers me clear of any more of them.

so it's ducatis. makes it easy. of course, i buy supposedly cheap ones and spend way more than they're worth doing often pointless mods to bikes i don't ride anyway.

i don't know that the service history is so important. all the shit that can go wrong will go wrong anyway pretty much, and i see so much stuff that's just general neglect in the name of well intentioned "service" that anything more than basic service can be of such wildly varying quality that it's often not worth the paper a history is written on. stuff like crap bodywork, corroded aluminium parts, etc can be just as expensive to fix as mechanical stuff too.

not sure if any of that is helping.
    Couldn't have said it better myself (though for me everything bike related is on my own time). People tell me to branch out and try something different, but then what would I do with all those Ducati specific tools I have?
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: http://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

This Morini came up on ebay the other day, asking price was £1095....sold within a couple of hours.
    drgonzo likes this.

Considering what you get for your money Steve I think ST4s' are a real bargain at the moment....it took me 5 months to get shot of mine for £2500 and that was low miles with fsh....
    Name:  d02.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  323.2 KB
    But then I came across this pic of one and now wishing I'd kept it....!
    Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 68
Size:  65.4 KB

Nice looking bike Rob. Never realised until a few days ago that the ST4 had the 996 lump. As you say a lot of bike for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Nice looking bike Rob. Never realised until a few days ago that the ST4 had the 996 lump. As you say a lot of bike for the money.
    ST4 has the 916 engine, ST4S has the 996 engine
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: http://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

the st in general are pretty cheap everywhere. they're the taxi of the range. can be made into a great bike pretty easily if you wanted to keep one.

Oh my gawd, what have I done?. Just paid £600 for this, I'll be getting a monumental bollocking from the Missus when she finds out.
    Last edited by steveo; 03-28-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    unclerob, Andyshep and Mark Burton like this.

Last edited by steveo; 03-28-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links