GS 550 electronic ignition
Close

This is a discussion on GS 550 electronic ignition within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi there, rebuilding GS 550 to old timer racer. Does anyone has experience running ignition with battery only ? (removing rotor and stator). I plan ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: GS 550 electronic ignition

Hi there,
    rebuilding GS 550 to old timer racer. Does anyone has experience running ignition with battery only ? (removing rotor and stator). I plan to use Dyna 2000 electronic ignition kit.
    Will appreciate any other performance enhancement tips for GS550. Thanks so much.
    George

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by gcinc View Post
    Hi there,
    rebuilding GS 550 to old timer racer. Does anyone has experience running ignition with battery only ? (removing rotor and stator). I plan to use Dyna 2000 electronic ignition kit.
    Will appreciate any other performance enhancement tips for GS550. Thanks so much.
    George
    Here's a generic picture of a total loss system someone used on a racebike xs750.

Name:  Ignition.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  78.0 KB

You'll have to make sure the switches are rated high enough for the load.

Good luck DOHC...

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post

Good luck DOHC...
    lol......😎

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gcinc View Post
    Will appreciate any other performance enhancement tips for GS550.
    Some guy I saw on the internetz drilled a crap-load of holes in his seat pan to save weight - you wouldn't believe how heavy those things are!

And run your tube-tyred rims without tubes - you don't need any of that girly safety bullshit over the benefits of saving a few grams.
    jcw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    Here's a generic picture of a total loss system someone used on a racebike xs750.

Name:  Ignition.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  78.0 KB

You'll have to make sure the switches are rated high enough for the load.

Good luck DOHC...
    Hi there,

thank you for diagram, (I'm residing in Europe now CET) I talked to Dynatek about running on battery only, they said it is possible with their unit Dyna2000, it takes about 8Amps. I was wandering if some of these small powerful li-on batteries would do the job for 20/30 minutes. It would be nice to have just battery slot on the bike. Other question is what improvement will bring lightening crank shaft by taking rotor off. Thanks.
    George

I plan to strip the bike completely. We have very good affordable fairing builder over here, https://www.motoforza.cz/ so seat etc. will be light fiberglass. Wheels is another story, I want to find large drums, similar or the same as my body has on his Yamaha. (see attached pic)Name:  009.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  3.49 MB there are few builders of these wheels here in EU, expensive, as everything else reminding the past...
    jcw and MarkHarold like this.

The new generation of LiFePO batteries would be up to the task - the main reason they are not used is due to them not liking being overcharged, but if your using a total loss system then the "erratic" charging of a stator system won't be an issue.

Drum brakes? Really? Unless you have very deep pockets you won't get a drum brake to perform as good as a disc set-up. Plus drums are not in the same vintage as a GS so any arguments about correct looks is moot.

Your friend had the tremendous advantage of starting with a mass produced factory race bike, if you want to keep up you've got the wrong model Suzuki you need to find yourself an RG500

I know, I know, but these drums are so nice of course I mean racing drums, complete Yamaha racing wheel replica incl. tire is 1200Eu. More than I paid for my GS I will see, maybe I make my own. Regarding what fits to certain years, I won't put on things like upside down forks, digital speedometer, or such, but I just want to build the bike the way I like it. I have people around who makes living building complete replica bikes like this, it might help a bit. Name:  J350 4.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  61.0 KBName:  CZ500-21.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  330.8 KB
    TrialsRider likes this.

see my friend has been pure bred racer for his whole life, he didn't bought these old timers he just grew up with them he has 250 and 350 Yamahas, he is also racing Sumermono class with Bimota BWM, he is multiple national champ a has few more jewels at home. See I'm actually looking for RG500 or Yamaha 500, but can find any for decent buck. But even with RG500 I have no chance of beating my friend
    I used to live in Kitchener and Kelowna, BC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links