75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions - Page 3
Close

75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions

This is a discussion on 75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by woodsman Terrible exhaust design for that bike. Looks like the bandage at his expansion is going to wear through to the bone, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Terrible exhaust design for that bike. Looks like the bandage at his expansion is going to wear through to the bone, made to turn left.
    Maybe it's low enough to use as a side stand, handy....
    woodsman likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    ...and lap times dropped by 5 seconds!"
    5 seconds per lap at Sandia is HUGE. 5 seconds per lap at Road America, not so much.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Ls1
    Ok, So I spent some time with the machine today. Thank you all for your valuable input. I should share with you based on some of the replies: The motor was gone through top and bottom (have all receipts for all parts that were purchased) in early 2016. All 3 carbs gone through, all new rubber bits to carbs and oil lines to oil injection were also replaced in 2016. The owner has a shop that specializes in vintage 2 stroke restoration. Now that I actually have the bike my thoughts changed significantly. And funny enough - they changed to match many of your replies. SO: Here are my plans for the new bike: I'm pulling the tank, side covers, seat, and exhaust tomorrow. A friend of mine is known for repairing and repainting motorcycle tanks. He's going to redo the tank and side covers after I get the paint from colorite.com. After a thorough cleaning and degreasing and a lot of cleaning up the chrome as best I can, I'm going to go with new tires, new chain and sprockets. Mechanically that's about all it needs that I can see. This bike runs flawlessly. The only performance mod I am looking to do now is an exhaust system. I put several miles on the bike today. The reason I was immediately thinking modern front and rear suspension was because I had a preconceived notion that a 41 year old bike was going to ride and handle like crap. I WAS WRONG. I was so surprised at how well this thing rides as it is right now. New tires, chain and sprockets and literally its good to go (unless I find more as I tear it down some for cleaning). You all hit the nail on the head - mechanics first. And as I get into this thing more I just keep finding its a really solid bike. So I guess from here Ill let you know if I find anything as I pull it apart for cleaning and resto of the tank and side covers. I have one question - What exhaust system for this thing? I have seen several on you tube that sound great but none say what manufacturer the pipes are. Here is a picture of me picking the bike up. And by the way - HERES THE STORY OF HOW I ACQUIRED THIS - - No Lie: I built my 03 Yamaha Zuma to look like an R1 Anniversary addition for the hell of it a few years ago. This guy that owns the two stroke shop has an anniversary addition R1 that he does track days with. He fell in love with My Zuma to the point that he traded me even up title for title my Zuma for this GT550. This pick shows my Zuma I delivered in the background. You can't make this stuff up. I seriously thought about immediately listing the bike on ebay. But after seeing how solid it is, especially the motor and the way it rides....I think I'm gonna hang onto it. P.S. I already took the front fairing off - not a fan of it. Thanks again for the input - and yes, all of my friends want to kill me and can't believe this trade actually happened.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  1.34 MBName:  2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  1.08 MB
    Last edited by Ls1; 02-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    TrialsRider likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Get yourself a clymer service manual to help service it.

also (if you don't have them) get a set of Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screwdrivers.

When you do the tires, change out the wheel bearings while you're in there... (while the tires are off, do the steering stem bearings... while you're at it, refurbish the forks... oh god the rabbit hole!)

Do projects that you can get done in a day. Ride it as much as possible!

- - - Updated - - -

***check all the cables for wear and lube them. It sucks having them break on you.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

New tires (if you can find good ones in that size) will do more to improve the bikes handling then anything else. Once you have decent rubber on there and you become more comfortable with pushing the bikes limits, then you might start to find areas to improve suspension or steering head bearings, brake lines, swingarm bushings and the such.

I have a feeling the previous owner wanted to see you on that bike with a big smile on your face just as much as he wanted your scooter. Good show.

I seriously doubt you will find better store bought pipes for that bike then the ones that are on it now :/ it's not like there is a huge market for aftermarket performance 2-stroke exhaust systems to fit 40 year old motorcycles, good luck with that.

2-stroke oils have come a long way and you will discover that some synthetics will produce a lot less smoke and build up of gook in your exhaust system. You will need to stick with the injection version of any brands that you try. I would make recommendations but most of mine would be based on pre-mix experience so I shall hold off for now and see if others make suggestions. Pretty sure your machine has very low compression ratio so you should be able to get away with running pump gas, bearing in mind that pump gas 40 years ago had a much higher octane rating and shelf life then regular pump gas today.

I think about the only modification I would do for now is to remove the passenger pegs.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 02-18-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Later Classic (70s) Suzukis handle GREAT. That's why the recommendations were to just go with overhaul of existing suspension, (with emulators as an upgrade). You may not even NEED swingarm bushings, but definitely check that there is ZERO "play" in the swingarm with rear wheel and shocks removed. Ask the shop owner what was done to the forks, just for peace of mind.

Sounds like you made out VERY well.

Fight the urge to go with clip-ons and rearsets unless you're prepared to give up comfort. I KNOW THIS IS CAFE RACER FORUM. I'm just saying...
    CaTacL1sm and woodsman like this.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

For pipes, Jemco is probably the only US supplier.

https://www.jemcoexhaust.com/contact.html

http://jemcoexhaust.com/downloads/Je...ct_Catalog.pdf

The stock pipes have issues with the internal baffles breaking loose. I know Ocelot offered 3 to 3 pipes for the GT550 as did Allspeed. You can always look for a used set as they do pop up on ebay once in a while. Strader offered a 3 to 1 pipe which improves mid-range at the cost of top-end but the bike sounds amazing stoplight to stoplight.

Looks like you found a nice survivor!

Ls1
    Well, after a thorough cleaning (and extensive polishing while I'm there) and inspection It is in need of new wheel bearings in the rear in addition to tires. Front bearings feel great. Swingarm is tight. While the tank and shrouds are off to paint, higgspeed is making me a GP style set of pipes. Less than 800 bucks shipped to the USA. Not bad. I'm pulling carbs this weekend to go through the jets. They aren't bad but won't hurt, it was early 2016 when last done, it's hardly been ran, and today's cheap gas.... I'm also going to synch them while I'm at it for the piece of mind that they are right. I'm looking at pulling the turn signals and tail light closer to the bike. I'm doing it in a way that won't keep me from putting it back. Also going to trim the front fender. It's the worst piece of chrome on it and parts getting trimmed off will remove all the dents in it. I still cannot believe I traded a scooter for this. And yes, I do believe the comment above was correct: the previous owner knew he was taking a loss....but did so because he also knew within 72 hours of having it home it would look like this just so I can stare at it as I geek out over the proper next moves to make with it. Anyone have a suggestion on tires?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ls1; 02-21-2017 at 04:35 AM.

Avon roadriders are great.

you might as well replace the front wheel bearings with all balls tapered bearings while you're in there. I wouldn't be surprised if it still had the original ball bearings in it.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    Avon roadriders are great.

you might as well replace the front wheel bearings with all balls tapered bearings while you're in there. I wouldn't be surprised if it still had the original ball bearings in it.
    I assume you mean steering head bearings? Worth doing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links