75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions
Close

This is a discussion on 75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I recently acquired this GT550. I am an intermediate rider with past bikes being Ducati 900ss, Superhawk 996, and 2 VFR800s. With this bike sitting ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 75 GT550 Build - Starting with questions

Ls1

I recently acquired this GT550. I am an intermediate rider with past bikes being Ducati 900ss, Superhawk 996, and 2 VFR800s. With this bike sitting in the shop now all I can think of is what to do with it exactly. I know for sure I want modern front forks and brakes. And modern swingarm, hydro rear brakes and better shocks. The rest of the details of the bike I will work out to my taste, what I plan to use the bike for and my budget. Speaking of bike use - this will be pleasure riding by an intermediate level rider - as that may drive input to some questions. SO:

My initial questions are this:

1. What Swingarm(s) (not looking to go mono shock) from What Bikes will fit this with the least or no modifications to the frame? I am sticking with the dual rear shock configuration to avoid the extra cost an effort involved in going with a mono shock. The performance of one over the other does not benefit the type/level of riding I will do. Performance wise what I am looking to gain with whatever swinger gets chosen is mainly the addition of hydro disc brakes and the accommodation of a modern rear tire. So again, what swinger from what bike that had dual rear shocks and disc rear brakes will fit this 1975 Suzuki GT550?

2. Really the same question only for the forks. Looking for inverted, modern, twin rotor&caliper setup. What forks from what modern machines has anyone put on a GT550? I have done the KX65 forks to a KLX110 conversion with my pitbike addiction and had to go through the pressing of one steering stem from one triple and pressing it back into another and using an upper bearing from one bike and the lower bearing from another to make it work etc etc., so I am only assuming I will go through a similar routine here - - - Just wondering if anyone has a baseline like "Yeah, I got a GSXR front end on mine and here's how I did it" type thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated - I am just hoping to save some time and $ from others that have already traveled this path.

Name:  GT550.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  649.6 KB

I just did a bunch of research on GT550 Forks.

Look at getting some race-tech springs and a cartridge emulator. With the proper spacer, you can use the $50 emulator from mikesxs.

you can also get a fork brace from fastfromthepast.

Replacing bushings and bearings throughout the bike will tighten things up a lot and a pair of progressive or hagon shocks will really round out the handling.
    jaguar likes this.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

And even before you think about that, a 40 year old 2 stroke will probably be in need of internal attention. Crank, crank seals, bearings...that shit can add up on a machine that old. Before you start spreading the lipstick, make sure her cardio is sound!

These things can become money pits at the blink of an eye.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yea, as stated in your intro post, go through basic maintenance.
    I thought that a cafe racer was a custom that you could do whatever you wanted and there is no right or wrong.

Pleasure riding with an intermediate rider doesn't require changing brakes, forks or swing arm. Tires, shocks, springs, wear parts and internals should be the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1 View Post
    ... Looking for inverted, modern, twin rotor&caliper setup....
    Nice bike!
    Figure you need that much more front brake do you planning on pulling a trailer?
    Farmer_John likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Pleasure riding with an intermediate rider doesn't require changing brakes, forks or swing arm. Tires, shocks, springs, wear parts and internals should be the focus.
    You hit it right on the nose, along with the other reply regarding full maintenance, the reply regarding fork upgrades & swingarm bushings, and the reply regarding assurance that the crank seals are in good nick. Hit all those, and you have all that the engine and frame are capable of handling.

...although I get the idea that THIS is kinda where the original poster's brain was wandering off to...

(not that there's anything WRONG with doing whatever you want with YOUR bike)
    Last edited by grandpaul; 02-16-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    You hit it right on the nose, along with the other reply regarding full maintenance, the reply regarding fork upgrades & swingarm bushings, and the reply regarding assurance that the crank seals are in good nick. Hit all those, and you have all that the engine and frame are capable of handling.

...although I get the idea that THIS is kinda where the original poster's brain was wandering off to...

(not that there's anything WRONG with doing whatever you want with YOUR bike)
    That is one seriously mummified exhaust.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

In what way would an inverted front end be an upgrade on this bike?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    That is one seriously mummified exhaust.
    Terrible exhaust design for that bike. Looks like the bandage at his expansion is going to wear through to the bone, made to turn left.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links