1983 Yamaha XV920 Cafe Racer - Page 3
Close

1983 Yamaha XV920 Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1983 Yamaha XV920 Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by woodsman This picture tells you all you need to know about the guy that owns C-Bass. Imagine it with the fish bowl ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1983 Yamaha XV920 Cafe Racer

  1. #21
    Junior Member Wheel&Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Krakow / Poland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    This picture tells you all you need to know about the guy that owns C-Bass. Imagine it with the fish bowl helmet on his head.
    Attachment 55433
    hahhaa. yes, I don't wish him a crash with this t-shirt and VANS

  2. #22
    Junior Member Wheel&Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Krakow / Poland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Also - Hageman isn't a motorcycle racer, he's not an engineer. He is a trained Harley tech so he's a good mechanic, and he seems to have good metal working skills, but a lot of the stuff he does - esp the early stuff, you can see the cruiser influence. cruisers aren't performance motorcycles.
    well. I am even not a mechanic... I'm advertising specialist so its just my hobby, something I always wanted to build.

  3. #23
    Senior Member hillsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
    Posts
    6,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel&Steel View Post
    well. I am even not a mechanic... I'm advertising specialist so its just my hobby, something I always wanted to build.
    Its all good - we know you're not building a Britten so keep on going and having fun

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    22,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel&Steel View Post
    well. I am even not a mechanic... I'm advertising specialist so its just my hobby, something I always wanted to build.
    Its just a hobby for a lot of us. Point of the exercise is to really understand the meaning and value of the of the modifications toward the functionality of the motorcycle. A lot of people approach modified bikes like they approach modified cars - that it's mostly cosmetic and there is a huge margin of error. But with bikes, every single modification affects the performance in some way. The goal is to get you thinking about that so you aren't making your bike worse when you make changes.

    The mojave tank you you have is a good example. It's about 2.6 gallons (approx 10 liters). Stock the virago tank is probably 3.5 gallons. Figuring a burn rate of about 40 miles per gallon, stock range is between 120-140 miles before completely empty. Your new range is maybe 100 miles at most. That means after 70 miles of riding you need to start looking for a gas station. How are you going to track this on your bike? Does your new gauge have a trip odometer? Does your petcock have a reserve? I get that the tank is pretty and the shape you want but these are the things that come along with your aesthetic choices.

    If if you are not seeing them, then ask. Get in the habit of asking yourself "if I change this thing, what else do I have to change?"
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

  6. #25
    Junior Member Wheel&Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Krakow / Poland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Its just a hobby for a lot of us. Point of the exercise is to really understand the meaning and value of the of the modifications toward the functionality of the motorcycle. A lot of people approach modified bikes like they approach modified cars - that it's mostly cosmetic and there is a huge margin of error. But with bikes, every single modification affects the performance in some way. The goal is to get you thinking about that so you aren't making your bike worse when you make changes.

    The mojave tank you you have is a good example. It's about 2.6 gallons (approx 10 liters). Stock the virago tank is probably 3.5 gallons. Figuring a burn rate of about 40 miles per gallon, stock range is between 120-140 miles before completely empty. Your new range is maybe 100 miles at most. That means after 70 miles of riding you need to start looking for a gas station. How are you going to track this on your bike? Does your new gauge have a trip odometer? Does your petcock have a reserve? I get that the tank is pretty and the shape you want but these are the things that come along with your aesthetic choices.

    If if you are not seeing them, then ask. Get in the habit of asking yourself "if I change this thing, what else do I have to change?"
    Totally agree. And the choices I made were based on some stories/examples I found/discussed with other guys. Of course you can always make more research - for sure a lessen for next build.

    Tank small size - this was already considered:
    1. Petcock has a reserve
    2. This is a bike to be used in a city - small distance, not every day. Its not a cruiser (its definitely not comfortable for any longer ride)

    PS: you asked about rearsets - here you can see how it is built.

    Name:  IMG_8814.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  393.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_8829.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  507.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #26
    Senior Member cseger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Field\'s Store, TX, USA.
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    That tool kit story is awesome.

  8. #27
    Senior Member MarkHarold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sassafras, Victoria, Australia.
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel&Steel View Post
    Totally agree. And the choices I made were based on some stories/examples I found/discussed with other guys. Of course you can always make more research - for sure a lessen for next build.

    Tank small size - this was already considered:
    1. Petcock has a reserve
    2. This is a bike to be used in a city - small distance, not every day. Its not a cruiser (its definitely not comfortable for any longer ride)
    Hi, top marks for pursuing your interests, surely one of the better aspects of life, it sure beats trudging through obligations. I admire your neat work. Have you thought about some personal touches, how can you make your bike more amenable, like extend the tank a couple of inches, raise the hand controls a bit. Keep the overall look certainly, but make it so that you want to jump on it and go for a blast out on a quiet twisty country road, but that's just me. What's your attraction with city riding? I'd rather catch public transport, but if it's got to be 2 wheels, I prefer my scooter. Please excuse my ignorance, but do you live close by to enticing roads, I haven't made it to Poland yet, perhaps one day, a London to Vladivostok trip has been percolating for a couple of years.
    Cheers, Mark
    Struth! Stone the crows and starve the lizards.

  9. #28
    Junior Member Wheel&Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Krakow / Poland
    Posts
    20
    Thanks mate

    for sure I will make some changes when I start riding it. testing, testing, testing
    if it comes to city riding - public transport is ok, but in my case bike is a good solution, no worries about traffic etc. And a quiet country road - sure

  10. #29
    Senior Member kenessex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Galena, AK, USA.
    Posts
    5,628
    I like the Rider Files. Check out the photos from back in the day. Larry used to stay with us when he came down to take photos at the southern tracks like Taladega, Roebling and Road Atlanta when I lived in GA. He always made a point to get some good shots of me. He is a good guy and has been around, I think I have known him since about 1980.


    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

  11. #30
    Junior Member Wheel&Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Krakow / Poland
    Posts
    20
    Working with a swingarm I noticed problems with bevel gear - it worked really hard. I needed to replace bearings, also bought another used bevel gear and used some parts from it. In the end - I have on complete and working nicely.
    Name:  IMG_9904-800x500.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  97.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_9905-800x500.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_9906-800x500.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  106.4 KB


    Also - the previous owner made some changes to swingarm bearings - as he probably was missing bearings, he used some metal sleeves instead and custom made axis. It was working badly, also he made a bigger hole in swingarm to fit the bigger axis... so when I replaced all elements with original bearings, it appeared that I need to make another custom axis to fir the bigger hole in the swingarm. Here it is:
    Name:  FullSizeRender-800x500.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  31.5 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 1982 Yamaha Virago XV920 Build
    By spankege101 in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 01:52 PM
  2. another 1983 yamaha virago xv920 cafe racer build
    By cyclocrossfool in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2017, 06:49 PM
  3. 1983 Honda CB125 Cafe Racer Build!
    By NightRider in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-07-2016, 09:27 PM
  4. 1983 GS650L Cafe Racer Build. No seriously.
    By flipmotorcycles in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM
  5. Yamaha XS750 cafe racer
    By schlumpf in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 11:20 AM