Lowering forks. BMW K75S cafe build.
Close

This is a discussion on Lowering forks. BMW K75S cafe build. within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Greetings from RedHook NY. Hi to all members, I'm new here and hope to be around for a while and contribute as much as possible. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lowering forks. BMW K75S cafe build.

Greetings from RedHook NY.
    Hi to all members, I'm new here and hope to be around for a while and contribute as much as possible. I'm in possession of a 1991 K75S and would like to lower the front end some but can't find formulas or procedures on how to go about it.
    The reason I found this forum and subscribed was because of a Google image from member Wydglyd on his K100 build and upon reading his intro he mentions lowering his forks by 45mm, but no mention of process.
    So my inquiry, would greatly appreciate any input regarding lowering BMW forks.

TIA, Pp.

Just a quick preview of what I'm working with. This is how I acquired it, in this state.

TIA, Pp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

do you want to reduce the travel, or shorten the total length and keep the same travel, or a combination of both? do you know when the front wheel/guard hits the engine or lower triple?

neither is really a good idea handling wise, altho springing the front with reasonable springs will reduce the travel it uses anyway.

has it got a 17" front wheel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw

Redhook eh....Go walk over to Moto Bogortaro and ask Peter if he thinks this is a good idea. He's at 97 union street.

In the mean time go to the bottom of the page and use the calculator:
    https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

then loosen the trees and slide the front forks up in the trees until the bike is lowered to where you want it and retake the measurements and re enter them into the calculator. You want to make sure you don't have a dangerously small amount of trail. What dangerous? well it varies based on factors but if you are under 90mm you probably don't want to ride the bike.

to put this in perspective, most sport bikes like the yamaha r1 have between 91 and 103mm of trail and FLH Harley has 157mm of trail. Trail is your measurement for stability. Too little and your front wheel is like the front wheel on a shopping cart (shopping carts have negative trail), too much and the bike won't turn at speed or will run wide in turns.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 04-13-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    conghos likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclocrossfool View Post
    the red hook in dutchess county. go raiders
    really? that blows.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Thanks guys for the responses, up front sporting 18 rim with 100/90 Pilot.

Will check out Peter on Union St.

Have decided to move clippons to very top of tubes after I slide them up just enough to get the bars on.

Thanks for the input.
    Pp.

Will tackle calculator tomorrow and see what's what.

Pp.

the only dimensions that are needed are rake, wheel diameter and triple clamp offset. problem with something like a k75, with the soft fork springs (and no compression damping), is that the rake will probably change when you sit on it and the front sags more than the rear, and again when you're out on the road cafe rrrrrracin' and you hit the front brakes hard before tipping it in and the front dives like crazy and the rear probably lifts. for every inch you move the front up or down, you'll change the steering head angle by about 1 degree. a 1 degree change in steering head angle will change the trail by about 8mm. so you could get a 1" change in trail from cruising to braking hard.

those things allegedly have 7" of fork travel and 4 1/2 at the rear, so the front's going to be all over the place. reducing the fork travel and stiffening it up probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

"Brad black" you took the thought right out of my head.
    I was thinking about stiffening the front springs and maybe using a different grade of fork oil in order to keep the front forks from diving so much.

Pp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links