The Opposite of a Cafe Racer, Moto Guzzi Ambassador - Page 3
Close

The Opposite of a Cafe Racer, Moto Guzzi Ambassador

This is a discussion on The Opposite of a Cafe Racer, Moto Guzzi Ambassador within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; While I dont have a van, I did recently get an equally bad motorcycle hauler. 2006 Chevy 1500 4.3 5 speed 5/7 drop 22in transport ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The Opposite of a Cafe Racer, Moto Guzzi Ambassador

While I dont have a van, I did recently get an equally bad motorcycle hauler.

2006 Chevy 1500 4.3 5 speed
    5/7 drop
    22in transport wheels.

If you ever get a chance to put a 1970 Moto Guzzi in the bed and drive though the NYC buros......PASS!
    It sucked!
    Shocked I dont have a picture of the bike in the bed.

Well I picked the bike up and then the next day went to Italy for a week.
    Found out while there that I was less then 50 miles from the Moto Guzzi factory!
    My trip was fairly well packed with meetings and such so no free time. I will be back there again at some point this year, so will work harder to carve out some free time. I hear the factory tour and museum is rather good.

And now onto the bike.

From what I can gather the bike was restored in the mid 2000s.
    Have a few invoices from around 2004 that list new SS headers, replica exhaust mufflers and miscellaneous washers, seals and hardware.
    Even though it is not a 100% factory restoration the quality is overall very good and I get the sense that they took time to have a nice end result.

I would use the term "bitsa" but that has such a negative connotation.
    This bike does have a few "cop" or highway patrol parts, I do not think this was actually a police bike.
    But honestly I am not sure.

The red is super deep and vibrant.

You can see that the forks are fully compressed. I tried to jack the bike up and pull them apart, but no dice.
    From what I have read it could be some rust on either the bushings or the tubes themselves. I really do not think the springs are simply missing as the forks would still move if that was the case.

Few nice touches to the bike, like the alternator conversion. I have been told that this is a rather nice upgrade.

Yes pods. Fully admit that I was less then thrilled to see these, but the Guzzi guys do not seem to have the tuning issues that the Honda guys do. I assume that is down to the different types of carbs.
    The pods are K&N so that is nice.
    I do not have the OEM airbox, but those can't be that hard to come by. Personally I think the OEM air box will function well and look better on the bike.
    Will keep my eye out for one.
    As you can see something needs to be done about the leaking carbs AND the million hose clamps....

Italy is not a bad place to visit.

There are few jobs already on the list. Ordered some parts and tools for the jobs.
    The PO has told me that the rear main seal is leaking fairly badly. So I have the seal and the tool to install it.
    To do this job the transmission has to come out, so I ordered a transmission seal kit and filed that job under the "while you are there" category.
    Bought the proper tools to take the forks apart and rebuild them with new seals and bushings.
    Also a pair of carb kits.

Should be enough to get started with.

The paperwork I have shows that the bike just had a bunch of "tune up" parts installed.
    The points look new so not worried about buying that kind of stuff right now. On the fence about an electronic ignition. I never saw the point on my Hondas, but it was a massive improvement on my Norton....

Did not get a chance to mess with the bike this weekend because I was playing to much catch up around the house and doing some wedding planing.
    Fingers crossed that one night this week I can pull the transmission.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

You will want to check and see if it retains its velocity stacks under those pod filters. The pod filters work just fine on these bikes but the stock air box is ok too. You will need the screw in velocity stacks to run the stock air box.

Alternator conversion is a good thing. The guy that made yours hasn't made them in several years. I manufacture and sell them now. The same but a little different.
    Moto Guzzi Alternator Conversion Kit - Scrambler Cycle

Don't forget to check out those cylinders. If they are still chrome you are going to want to swap them out.

Here is another link just in case you haven't ran across it yet.
    Loop frames - Moto Guzzi - Topics - Gregory Bender

As far as electronic ignition which one are you looking at? One of the popular ones is just a replacement for the points and retains the mechanical advance. Helps some but not all that much.
    I have a Saches igntion sitting here that I plan to install at some point to try out.
    http://www.scramblercycle.com

Are the cylinders actually that big of a worry, or just the web making a big deal out of nothing?

I have read a fair bit on "this old tractor" really good resource.

Have not looked at a specific electronic ignition yet.
    Was more a general question about the need for them and then to spark a conversation about what ones are better then others.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Sold the van after I bought a 1948 Dodge.
    I had a similar car, only it was robins egg blue and had Chrysler badges on it. Basically same car with different dash and front end. It had wide whites and looked stock, but was powered by a 360 with a 727 & 8 3/4. It was actually fairly quick for what it was. They aren't as heavy as they look. Steering geometry from 48 really sucked though. Upside was the front seat was wide enough that you didn't have to deal with that sometimes awkward manoeuvre from the front seat to the back.

BTW I know you know this, but just for the record, when I said van, I wasn't referring to a rolling fornicatorium or M/C hauler. I meant a Graco Special.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

The Dodge REALLY rode very well.
    Just floated down the road. The bike flathead six had ample power for "modern" driving.
    Really enjoyed the "fluid drive" as well.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Last edited by drgonzo; 05-15-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
    In my experience those square slide Dellortos are pretty forgiving and are a damned good carburetor.
    Anything out of the ordinary to know when rebuilding/cleaning them?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I wasn't referring to a rolling fornicatorium or M/C hauler. I meant a Graco Special.
    Jag's getting married soon....he has no idea how fucked he is in this regard.

I feel like I dodged a bullet...wife hates minivans and prefers manual shift sporty cars. Hence the 6MT Audi mini-wagon. She wants a 6MT Scoobi-ru Crosstrek XV in black next (despite my recommendation for a 2006 Outback XT with a manual). I was trying to get her to bite on an SRT8 dodge magnum but no manual trans and it's a big american boat. I want to see if she'll go for the new VW Alltrack but it's expensive
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Geeez jag.............where do you put all your stuff?

A fellow who was a bouncer at a local bar owned a Chrysler with a fluid drive for a year or so and he kept referring to it as a 3 speed. Every time I tried to correct him, he told me I was full of shit. Finally made a small wager with him and went for a short spin. He thought there was only one in low range and two in high. When I showed him how to find the second one in low, he looked like he had just won the lottery. I loved those ugly things and went through a few. They were relatively cheap. Got the first one for free from a local gas station and was hooked. At one point had an Imperial Limo with the FH straight 8. It was like something out of a cartoon
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links