Need help - Page 6
Close

Need help

This is a discussion on Need help within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Soda blaster could be a fun DIY for you!...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Need help

Soda blaster could be a fun DIY for you!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

"briskly tap" (each header), is NOT the same as "grab the hot pipe with your palm"!!!
    jaguar and Andyshep like this.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

jcw
    Be aware that infrared thermometers will not read accurately on shiny exhaust pipes. Chrome plating, even shiny ceramic coatings, etc plays havoc with most infrared readings

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    "briskly tap" (each header), is NOT the same as "grab the hot pipe with your palm"!!!
    I'll lick my fingers and tap them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There is no spark from any of the clynders

Well there's your main problem.

At this stage you want to download a workshop manual for the bike and read the electrical / ignition / troubleshooting sections to work out why you have no spark.

Someone here might be able to post a link to a downloadable manual if you cant find one via Google.

that could explain why it doesn't start. But first, a short story...when I was much younger I had a long string of success buying cheap honda cb's, fixing them, having my fill of riding them, and selling them for twice what I paid. So someone put me on to a cheap XS750 and I figured the 650's are shit hot and it can't be much different than a honda, right? Only problem was once I got it running, the thing was just a horrible monstrosity to ride. Seriously, I have had ridiculous amounts of fun on anything from a 50cc childs dirt bike to a Buell xb12s, but this bike?...not fun. It weighed wayyy too much, slow, vibrated, terrible suspension, shaft drive jacking all over the place, plus the most hideous excuse for a motorcycle sound I had ever heard emanating from the exhaust pipe and it was ugly and stunk to boot. I immediately sold it for a loss just to get it out of my hair. Plenty of fun motorcycles in this world, this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Well there's your main problem.

At this stage you want to download a workshop manual for the bike and read the electrical / ignition / troubleshooting sections to work out why you have no spark.

Someone here might be able to post a link to a downloadable manual if you cant find one via Google.
    A quick google found this:

Yamaha Triples :: Service Manuals

There'll be more online

Quote Originally Posted by seanbarney41 View Post
    that could explain why it doesn't start. But first, a short story...when I was much younger I had a long string of success buying cheap honda cb's, fixing them, having my fill of riding them, and selling them for twice what I paid. So someone put me on to a cheap XS750 and I figured the 650's are shit hot and it can't be much different than a honda, right? Only problem was once I got it running, the thing was just a horrible monstrosity to ride. Seriously, I have had ridiculous amounts of fun on anything from a 50cc childs dirt bike to a Buell xb12s, but this bike?...not fun. It weighed wayyy too much, slow, vibrated, terrible suspension, shaft drive jacking all over the place, plus the most hideous excuse for a motorcycle sound I had ever heard emanating from the exhaust pipe and it was ugly and stunk to boot. I immediately sold it for a loss just to get it out of my hair. Plenty of fun motorcycles in this world, this is not one of them.
    I'd disagree with you on many levels ... you must have been running on 2 cyls because a well set up XS750 sounds fantastic.. its one of it better features, shaft jacking is an issue if on full chat and you hit a bump mid corner but wow you need to be on it big time.. I've done over a 1000 miles on mine and have a well sorted suspension and set up, I can keep with most people on a classic ride out no issues.

OP - Personally I do agree that the XS750 is a terrible bike to start on though.. but you are 15 .. if you are learning and safe and do some respectible changes and ride to school on it.. girls will think you are a hero!

No spark can be many things!

The best thing I bought was plug checkers that light up when a spark is transmitted.. i stuck these on while testing.

The coils are terrible on the XS and there is a good chance the HT leads and perished. unscrew the plugs from the leads, nip a little HT lead off, no more than 5mm and re thread your plugs. This was the cause of no spark on mine as was poor gapping. All 3 of my plugs were incorrectly gapped. I woudl do this and then work back through the system.

Good luck
    drgonzo likes this.

Dont' forget to look for obvious issues like broken wires or a kill switch that is off, even the sidestand has a safety switch. And as has already been suggested, remove the points cover and make sure they are clean and gapped correctly.
    At this point, if you dont already own one, you should invest in a multi meter for checking voltage and continuity. You can get one for around $15 and it will make diagnosing electrical issues much easier.
    drgonzo and Fk5 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra99 View Post
    I'd disagree with you on many levels ... you must have been running on 2 cyls because a well set up XS750 sounds fantastic.. its one of it better features, shaft jacking is an issue if on full chat and you hit a bump mid corner but wow you need to be on it big time.. I've done over a 1000 miles on mine and have a well sorted suspension and set up, I can keep with most people on a classic ride out no issues.

OP - Personally I do agree that the XS750 is a terrible bike to start on though.. but you are 15 .. if you are learning and safe and do some respectible changes and ride to school on it.. girls will think you are a hero!

Good luck
    interesting because several others I talked to firmly agreed surprisingly slight throttle blips feel similar to a 500 pound person bumping into your backside while you are bent over. Thats gross. Apparently plenty of power, its just all directed up instead of forward. Glad Yamaha finally got the triple sound right with the FZ07/09, but this thing sounded like a broken down Subaru brat with retarded ignition timing.

But then not much left original on yours, I see.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponsored Links