Cafe Racer Forum banner

1977 RD 400 Café Project

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Gyrobob 
#1 ·
Hey guys, haven't been around for a long time, but decided to pick up the wrench again.

I'm working on a 77 RD 400 right now, here's what she looks like:

Just wrapped the exhaust today, here's some pics:

I've got a bunch of glass parts coming in the mail too, a nice ducktail seat, and front fender from Moto Carrera.

Then I plan on some clubmans and bar end mirrors.

As far as engine work goes, I'm looking at first getting either a Y Pipe or Unipods, then maybe a bore out or port job, not too sure yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
check my restoration thread in my sig, let me know if you have any questions, i have been through everything on my bike! LOL!!! you have a clean bike to start with, so that will make things a lot easier. good luck with the build

#7 ·
'why don't you take the carving knife from the ham and stab me right here........ here..... with the knife (pointing to chest)'

olivia saprano

'and then pound salt inside with a sledge hammer'

hackasaw

#8 ·
Thanks Tyler, I did read all of your thread and your RD looks amazing. Came out very well! I hope mine will look as good.

From what I've read, since the wrap changes the inside temperature of the gases, and therefore the pressure and flow, it should be beneficial in the end, but I'm not sure. It's usually competition dirt bikes that use the wrap for racing, and a lot of them are two-strokes. Either way, I think it looks good. The DG pipes will always look amazing bare though, that's for sure. If I change my mind it's easy to change though :)

Don't worry HackAsaw, you'll find one someday, they're out there!

PS - Here's a of me booting around.

#9 ·
you are dead on with the wrap on your chambers. the DG's look good, they are just like my coffmans. Just keep them packed well which isn't too hard to do. i wish i could have left my pipes bare, they looked awesome bare but rust is a bitch!!

#10 ·
Wrapped pipes do give a slight perf advantage due to the heat retained making the exhaust flow easier.

The big disadvantage for non-racing situations is that it makes the pipes disintegrate. You'll have holes in those pipes in 1/10 the time it usually takes. The wrap lets the metal in the pipes get a lot hotter, and then when the bike sits and cools down the wrap attracts and holds a slight dampness on the metal. Going through this "cycle" over and over again reduces the lifespan of the pipes a LOT!

I learned this the hard way in Rotax aircraft applications. Very very expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.