81 Virago 750 Cafe Inspired Build
Close

This is a discussion on 81 Virago 750 Cafe Inspired Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know it's not the ideal bike for a cafe racer but I got the bike for free. Being my first bike and first time ...

I know it's not the ideal bike for a cafe racer but I got the bike for free.

Being my first bike and first time working on a bike for my first part I'm doing a more mild build.

Bike looked like this to start.

Got it all stripped down.

Put the rear subframe and stock seat back on when my original plans changed. I kinda liked the look of this but wasn't happy with how chunky and swoopey the seat was. It's very un-Cafe. Lowered the front 3"

Took vinyl off the seat and started carving the seat down. I just painted it brown so it was easier to see in pics.

It still wasn't quit the shape I wanted so I used a better tool and kept carving away and got the final shape.

[IMG]

Some more work done over the last few days.

First thing is I had to fill in the area on the tank where the Yamaha emblem was. There was a clipy thing that the emblem screwed on to.

First I mixed up some Mar-Glass which I've never used before. Some pretty interesting stuff. It's like hard candy before it gets hard.

A couple layers of it. I'm new ot bodu work so I was just kinda winging it.

Random cool pic.

Got the tank sanded down nice and smooth. Needs some more work but it's about 80% there.

Then those lights dangling were bothering me as well as the two big ol horns and front turn signals. Removed those.

Moar progress.

I'm getting close to being finished filling in the area on the tank. Needs a little more work but it's getting there. It's primered gray in the pic. I hung it from a tree to make it easier to paint.

Worked at the seat moar. I think the main problem was how the bottom of it swepted downward. It really threw it off. So I chopped that up and made it straight. There's some more finishing work to make it perfect though. And once the vinyl is over it you won't see anything. I'm not worried about the space between the frame. I'll either leave it or fill it with something minimal.

Here's the tank and seat together as a whole.

Hi mate. XV750's are becoming the flavor of the month it would seem. Ive just picked one up myself too. Ill be pretty much making mine much like the famous green one from the Netherlands, except Im going to swap out the front end with some decent suspension and try to adapt some larger rims from a XJ. Looks like your having fun with yours!

Yeah ZeroCafe's is pretty famous in the cafe scene. That was originally my inspiration but I've steered away from his design and trying to do something more original.

Good luck on yours.

Sponsored Links