electronic ignition
Close

electronic ignition

This is a discussion on electronic ignition within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; while i've been forced to delay my more physical projects waiting on a collarbone to heal, I picked up on a project I had going ...

electronic ignition

while i've been forced to delay my more physical projects waiting on a collarbone to heal, I picked up on a project I had going on a few years ago. My plan was to make an electronic ignition for these old bikes with a computer controlled advance curve and knock detection. I've put together the circuit and mcu, and have them working together with a basic linear advance, and I was about to start working towards a couple more ideas I wanted to include so I wanted some engine wrenchers opinions on them first.

first: I was playing with having the spark plug fire twice at low (<1000) rpm, theory being it would help the bike start easier

second: I am going to change the linear advance to a pseudo curve based on maybe 8-16 points

third: I am thinking about including a vacuum pressure sensor to monitor the vacuum and use that as a third degree in the rpm/advance scale.

fourth: I am planning on allowing the advance to continue beyond the stock 3000 rpm until knock is detected

any inputs would be helpful, what I've got now is pretty much an electronic replacement of the stock points, but I know it can do quite a bit more

Make the array completely mappable in all dimensions and from a pc

Do not omit the ability to allow any array input to affect the curve either positive or negative

Sometimes, some engines need vacuum retards.... for example
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

would the double spark at idle/low rpm help the bike start better?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

would the double spark at idle/low rpm help the bike start better?

I don't see how wasted spark would help the bike start easier when cold. A lot of cars have it for emissions purposes, not smooth running.

without giving away the milk farm, what are you using for pickups? magnetic? hall effects?

you know the dyna 2000 does everything you are talking about for 4 cylinder bikes, but outside of HD there is nothing. If you had a digital iggy for say a cb450 that might be something else.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

I don't see how wasted spark would help the bike start easier when cold. A lot of cars have it for emissions purposes, not smooth running.

without giving away the milk farm, what are you using for pickups? magnetic? hall effects?

you know the dyna 2000 does everything you are talking about for 4 cylinder bikes, but outside of HD there is nothing. If you had a digital iggy for say a cb450 that might be something else.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

the idea was to build an ignition that could be reprogrammed really quickly, with no advance limit, and include inputs for vacuum and knock, to more or less try to eek every extra bit of power from these engines as possible. the system runs with one hall effect pickup and one magnet so far, everything else is software, and I think it should be easy to switch from a cb350 to 450, it's just a matter of telling the software that the offset between firing #1 and #2 is 180' instead of 90'

the idea was to build an ignition that could be reprogrammed really quickly, with no advance limit, and include inputs for vacuum and knock, to more or less try to eek every extra bit of power from these engines as possible. the system runs with one hall effect pickup and one magnet so far, everything else is software, and I think it should be easy to switch from a cb350 to 450, it's just a matter of telling the software that the offset between firing #1 and #2 is 180' instead of 90'

Sounds like an interesting project. I was looking for a battery powered system and the best system I found so far seems to be from ignitech www.ignitech.cz their unit works on twins and triples and 4's and is fully mappable but doesn't have secondary overlay maps for Pressure, temperature etc the way that an EFI type ECU would. MoTeC do some nice ECU's but the cost is a little rich for me.

IIRC ignitech does include TPS input on some units and may have a couple of other inputs but I don't think they are table driven.

Knock sensor sounds like a great idea. Which sensor are you using?

IIRC Honda found that after a certain point, flame propagation speed rises proportionately to rpm. That means that it doesn't need more advance at higher speeds.

I haven't tested a CB350 on a dyno to map ignition timing to load, but i suspect that it may not want any more advance.

Sponsored Links