Cafe Racer Forum banner

Attaching muffler to header.

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mickey356 
#1 ·
I have a header pipe that measures about 1 5/8" OD. I am making a reverse-cone megaphone muffler (using materials I bought from www.coneeng.com) that has a 1 5/8" OD inlet. I don't want to weld the muffler to the header, I want it to be removable/replaceable. What's the best practice? I have seen the slit-and-hose-clamp method, but would like to do better than that.

#2 ·
I may be showing my ignorance here but I don't think there are many other options than welding or clamping.
You may be able to take the muffler to a shop and have them expand the tip to slide over the header. Then just tack the muffler and when and if you want to take if off just grind the tacks off.

#4 ·
Springs and loops are most 'race' looking
It's actually pretty easy to do, just find a pipe nice slip fit and weld it to cone end with collector pipe inside it so you have a lip. Couple of loops welded on, couple of springs and you have a slip fit

#5 ·
Here's a couple of pics that show how the springs can be used to hold a system together. This is a 4-1 Hindle that I have on my Maxim-X, see how there are just a couple of hoops (coat hanger) tacked onto the parts. Then just stretch a spring until it hooks in, add a little high temp sealer and it should prevent any blowby. Just put the springs on the back so that they can't be seen and it will look neat and clean.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.