Close

suzuki gs450 problem

This is a discussion on suzuki gs450 problem within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello i have a quick question, my 1982 suzuki gs 450 will turn over but wont start up. i have been working on it for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

suzuki gs450 problem

Hello i have a quick question, my 1982 suzuki gs 450 will turn over but wont start up. i have been working on it for a bout a month now and it started up fine last month. All i did was drop the bars and put on new blinkers. I also took the gas tank off so im thinking that it has something to do with the fuel. Should i drain the gas in the tank and the carbs? Thanks for the help!

sounds electrical to me. how about a pic of the setup?

here is what to check:

- get a spark tester or pull one plug and ground it against the engine and turn it over. Does it spark? If yes then it is not electrical. If no, then it is electrical and try to figure out where the break is.

usually dumbasses who don't know what they are doing screw up their bikes installing bars just by accidentally shorting the kill switch (or some other ignition killing thing like the clutch kill swithc) against the bars itself.
    Frankie, the Big Kahuna: What does that mean, "we're not in?"
    Annette: Wild guess? I think it means they're not in.
    Bobby: Boy, it's quite a piece of dialogue when you intellectual masterminds get together! I should be writing this down!

Frankie, the Big Kahuna: But what does "we" mean?
    Bobby: [impossibly sarcastic] I think it's the plural form, meaning "more than one." Would you like me to conjugate that for you, Pop? Do you know what "conjugate" means, Dad?

well i know its not the killswitch or the clutch safety switch. ill try the plug test when i get home and ill get back to ya.

did the plug test and their was a nice spark, so its not electrical like i thought.

ok, what's the inside of your tank look like? inside of the float bowl? Is there fuel in the float bowl?

GS suzukis use a vacuum petcock, are all the lines hooked up properly? are you sure there are no air leaks?

Where do you store your bike? is there any possibility there is a dead mouse in your airbox blocking the flow?

are you using the choke?
    Bobby: Boy, it's quite a piece of dialogue when you intellectual masterminds get together! I should be writing this down!

Bobby: [impossibly sarcastic] I think it's the plural form, meaning "more than one." Would you like me to conjugate that for you, Pop? Do you know what "conjugate" means, Dad?

the inside of the tank is a little rusty but not to bad, there was fuel in the float bowl, i just took it off to check and there was a good amount, just gave the carbs a little more gas when i emptied it and tried to start it and there did seem to be a little but of a hiss, like air was leacking, and i store my bike in my garage along with two cars and the air filter are pods so i doubt a mouse can get inside of those, plus i just put them on like a week ago.

take the pods off and put the stock airbox back on and see if it starts.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Hur hur hur, he said pods
    Where's the pods thread to direct him to?
    yertis
    A Pod Filter Thread for Geeto.....
    You know DTT made link to it a sticky?
    BTW, I like this new site, really easy to link threads
    Last edited by crazypj; 02-12-2013 at 05:06 AM.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

put on the old air filter (took a while that things is a big black box....poor design), and it still didnt start.

for a bike to run you need all three of these things in the right time:
    Fuel, Air, and Spark.

figure out which one is missing. If they are all there make sure it is timed properly.

try a little ether.

Since you made a lot of changes all at once without testing each one, work backwards undoing your work until you get it to start.

Also your tank should be clean inside. If there is even a little rust then you are doing it wrong.

I'm starting to get the feeling you shouldn't be playing with old stuff. This is mechanics 101. Do you have a manual? have you gone through the entire troubleshooting section?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links