CB350 factory temp gauge?
Close

CB350 factory temp gauge?

This is a discussion on CB350 factory temp gauge? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Does anyone know if this is factory or an aftermarket temp gauge? Its on my 69 CB350. I just got the bike a few days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CB350 factory temp gauge?

  1. #1
    Junior Member RacerRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12

    CB350 factory temp gauge?

    Does anyone know if this is factory or an aftermarket temp gauge? Its on my 69 CB350. I just got the bike a few days ago and I'm looking to restore it. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement.
    Thanks!

    Name:  20140623_215829.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  366.8 KB

  2. #2
    Banned Witworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    West
    Posts
    4,894
    I've never seen any guage like that before.

    I reckon it's a Japanese home aftermarket accessory, not a factory one.

    I think it's probably a "spring type" gauge as used on old electric ovens.

    If the spring is O.K. , you could just fit a new glass and a new clockface.

    You might even be able to find a new or used guage of exactly the same size (for an oven) on Ebay.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    22,665
    It's an aftermarket accessory. I've seen about half a dozen of them in my life, pretty common stateside if you are looking for one but you are probably gonna have to hit the swap meets to find one as they are no longer made. As Witworth mentioned they are an induction gauge like a meat thermometer or an oven temp gauge.

    Honestly, they are pretty useless since you are not getting a relevant temp reading you can use. they are mounted too high up and actually on a surface that is in the wind. A much more useful reading would be one taken directly from the oil.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Cyorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    B.C.
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    I've never seen any guage like that before.

    I reckon it's a Japanese home aftermarket accessory, not a factory one.

    I think it's probably a "spring type" gauge as used on old electric ovens.

    If the spring is O.K. , you could just fit a new glass and a new clockface.

    You might even be able to find a new or used guage of exactly the same size (for an oven) on Ebay.
    Spring?? Don't you mean Bi-metallic?

  6. #5
    Banned Witworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    West
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Spring?? Don't you mean Bi-metallic?
    Yup, A bi-metallic spring. Or a combination of the two.

    Danger, is my business.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Cyorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    B.C.
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    It's an aftermarket accessory. I've seen about half a dozen of them in my life, pretty common stateside if you are looking for one but you are probably gonna have to hit the swap meets to find one as they are no longer made. As Witworth mentioned they are an induction gauge like a meat thermometer or an oven temp gauge.

    Honestly, they are pretty useless since you are not getting a relevant temp reading you can use. they are mounted too high up and actually on a surface that is in the wind. A much more useful reading would be one taken directly from the oil.
    I'm with you on that one....although it's an interesting old aftermarket accessory as far as a conversation piece, it's pretty useless. In traffic, it might give you a general idea when the engine is "well done".

  8. #7
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    22,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I'm with you on that one....although it's an interesting old aftermarket accessory as far as a conversation piece, it's pretty useless. In traffic, it might give you a general idea when the engine is "well done".
    So will the detonation. If you have ever seen one in action, it's too small and vibrates too much to read in anything but dead stopped traffic.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

  9. #8
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,182
    Kinda cool though.
    i have never seen one.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  10. #9
    Junior Member RacerRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12
    That's what I kind of figured, that its an aftermarket item. I actual just found out who the first owner of the bike was yesterday and he lives in my neighborhood. He told me the bike was punched out to 435 along with some other stuff.
    I totally agree its going to be as accurate as if I touched the motor with my hand to see if its hot....but I think its kind of neat. It is in fact a spring type gauge but its not salvageable due to the shaft the spring wraps around is busted.

    Here's what she looks like if your interested. Been sitting since 1982 apparently. Name:  10448984_1472122663032443_128897352_a.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  47.7 KB

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thanks for the help guys!!!!

  11. #10
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    22,665
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerRex View Post
    He told me the bike was punched out to 435 along with some other stuff.
    They are all lies until you tear it apart and verify.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. WTB Digital Tach and Temp Guage.
    By Chuck 72 in forum Wanted
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
  2. alternator temp
    By roccitycafe in forum Technical
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
  3. Honda oil temp
    By bmartin in forum Technical
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
  4. Operating oil temp range??
    By ROSKO in forum Technical
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
  5. running temp of engine
    By musk-rat in forum Technical
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 11:21 AM