Mulan-Is she starving or over eating? - Page 2
Close

Mulan-Is she starving or over eating?

This is a discussion on Mulan-Is she starving or over eating? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I was meaning that if a bowl is over filling and over fuelling then shutting off the fuel to it would make the problem get ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mulan-Is she starving or over eating?

I was meaning that if a bowl is over filling and over fuelling then shutting off the fuel to it would make the problem get better as the level of the fuel dropped.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the tinker time!
    surfrider70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pwalo View Post
    I was meaning that if a bowl is over filling and over fuelling then shutting off the fuel to it would make the problem get better as the level of the fuel dropped.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the tinker time!
    Sounds better when you put it that way!
    Ill take her out again tonight and give it a try-in your opinion do you think i have just one bad neeedle/seat or possbily more?

If two overflow pipes are constantly wet then you have two problem carbs. When you test ride it take note of if the problem occurs after a long run at low revs and see if running at very high revs makes it occur less (the higher rev test is less likely to work as the fuel lines should be feeding more than the carbs need on wide open throttle so the level will remain high)
    surfrider70 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm going to second checking the cap vent. Just did that fix for a customer a month ago that had your same problems. He could only ride a few miles til it would die and would get a puddle every day. When the bike is running it will get fuel starvation and when it sits the tank will get pressure in it from it warming up during the day pressurizing the fuel lines. And if your petcock seal is old it will push fuel past it when off
    surfrider70 likes this.

Test it whilst the problem is occurring (difficult using one key but doable). Just pop the tank cap and fire it straight back up. If it runs and stays clear you've found your problem.
    surfrider70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scramblermike View Post
    I'm going to second checking the cap vent. Just did that fix for a customer a month ago that had your same problems. He could only ride a few miles til it would die and would get a puddle every day. When the bike is running it will get fuel starvation and when it sits the tank will get pressure in it from it warming up during the day pressurizing the fuel lines. And if your petcock seal is old it will push fuel past it when off
    Ok man that seems too easy but i did recently replace the fuel cap rubber and did a complete overhaul of the petcock-all new screen and all new rubber o-rings. At first start up it idles great-although on last ride the problem hit a mile down the road as opposed to nearly a half hour into the ride before that.

Test it whilst the problem is occurring (difficult using one key but doable). Just pop the tank cap and fire it straight back up. If it runs and stays clear you've found your problem.
    ok easy for me actually as the previous owner dicked around with the key hole and now its just a small twist knob i stuck in there-so i will just pop open the gas cap the next time it does it right?-like its a pressure problem?....
    Ive never had a problem under idle when i first start it or before the real problem hits later into a ride, when i first start her up she starts clean and idles great, maybe next time i will just let her idle for quite a while and see if she starts sputtering?

If two overflow pipes are constantly wet then you have two problem carbs. When you test ride it take note of if the problem occurs after a long run at low revs and see if running at very high revs makes it occur less (the higher rev test is less likely to work as the fuel lines should be feeding more than the carbs need on wide open throttle so the level will remain high)
    Ok hard to get a clean open road around here in socal-always a light every fifty feet or a blue hair, or a...., man its tough to find a good stretch of open road here to open her up a little-and come to think of it i am not much of a revver-i tend to short-shift and kind of baby her around.

You need 4 tiny little containers, one to set under each of the overflow vent pipes tonight
    surfrider70 likes this.

Start givin it more rev's. I drove my newest bike at way to low a rev cuz I was used to old British stuff. Once I started using the rpm's my shifts smoothed out, the chain stopped stretching and all was good with the world. Not to mention the sound is awesome. That tank cap thing was also an issue I had deblt with way back and once it was mentioned the light came on. It had allot of the same characteristics you mentioned. If yer anything like me you'll check the simple shit first. Cheers and let us know what the diagnosis is.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links